PD2K

Transferring Deceased Relative's Firearms

I'm totally clueless on how to address this situation, so I'll throw this to my fellow forumites:

My neighbor, a elderly gentleman in his 80s, was cleaning his attic when he discovered a revolver belonging to his deceased brother, who used to live with him back in the 1970s-early 1980s. I guess when the brother moved out he forgot to take the pistol with him.

How would my neighbor go about transferring the pistols to him? Neighbor does not even have an FID, but is willing to apply for one if needed.

Any advise would be appreciated.

doesnt need a FPID to inherit or sell it. Or give it away to a lucky neighbor . 

However if you are the lucky recipient, you need to burn a PPP to take possession of it from your generous neighbor

Or you may face the uncomfortable situation of explaining your possession of it sometime in the future ... maybe

Neighbor in his 80's.  Gun's been in the attic since the 70's.  ̶R̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ Background checks didn't start until '68.  Records certainly weren't computerized when this gun was bought, although the purchase may be enshrined in some folder on a shelf in a forgotten room somewhere.

Your neighbor needs to decide what to do but I doubt that anybody's ever coming to look for this gun.

However if you are the lucky recipient, you need to burn a PPP to take possession of it from your generous neighbor

Or you may face the uncomfortable situation of explaining your possession of it sometime in the future ... maybe

of course! Unless the neighbor is named as the future inheritee and has some patience..... :)  Op- do you know what the revo is?

Hey guys thanks for the info. There is no paperwork (will) showing neighbor was the legal heir - that was the first thing I did ask. The brother simply left it in his house.

I did tell him to stay quiet on it and not mention it to anyone.

No idea what kind of revolver. I'll ask him to show it to me. I am secretly hoping it's a Python and maybe he would like to sell it. :)

Did your neighbor ever live in a truly free state after the revolver was manufactured? If so maybe he bought it years ago as a legal resident of that state and simply forgot he did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes!

The definition of sound, simplified, is a hearable noise. The tree will make a sound, even if nobody heard it. The definition states that sound is a hearable noise. So the tree could have been heard, even though nobody was around to do so.

Yes!

The definition of sound, simplified, is a hearable noise. The tree will make a sound, even if nobody heard it. The definition states that sound is a hearable noise. So the tree could have been heard, even though nobody was around to do so.

That is perhaps "a" definition of sound, not necessarily "the" definition of sound.

But back to the matter at hand, as PK90 suggested, finders keepers. There's nothing uncomfortable about it - it was willed to me. I have had things willed to me, and it's not like I have a copy of the will readily available to prove ownership for any of it.

Who was the administrator of his brother's estate being he had no will? If the brother had no other heirs it's your neighbor's as long as he's not a prohibited person. If the neighbor inherited it there is no need to get a P2P or a FID unless he wants to buy ammo. If he wants to sell it he just fills out the seller's portion of the P2P. Leave SBI number blank.

NJSP does not have computerized records going back forever. I have sold handguns I acquired legally and sold them on a P2P. I have also bought handguns others legally acquired out of state. Never heard anything about them.

• Like 1

Update: let my neighbor know he can keep an inherited firearm however to buy ammo he will need a FID. He says he will show it to me next week.

Not exactly..........He needs an NJFPID to buy pistol ammo within the confines of NEW JERSEY.  He can drive to a free state with a borrowed deuce & 1/2 and buy a pallet of pistol ammo and then drive back into the Communist Republic :) .

I have friends that mail-ordered hand guns thru the Sears catalog, pre-1968 GCA. And the letter carrier delivered them to their houses while they were at work!

While smoking cigarettes!

• Like 1