this_is_nascar

Recommend a Smartphone (Verizon)

Let's lighten it up a bit, shall we? My Moto Z Play Droid has a battery that's just about at its end of useful life.

I need something new, that's not an iPhone for Verizon.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

My $0.02. 

1) iPhone. Seriously, not having VZW in between you and your OS updates, NOR having the hardware manufacturer there is worth cash money. 

But you don't like that, so..

2) PIxel 2 family of phones. 

3) Pixel 3 family of phones (pixel 2 is less problematic right now, but that'll probably come to an end in 6 months to a year.)

4) One+ You get google telemetry and Chinese telemetry, but it's usually pretty technically sound and minimally fucked with OS fork (that's been increasingly less true as time passes, but hey).

5) Samsung high end stuff. More fucked with than One+ in terms of proprietary stuff and bloatware. Higher priced too, but their phones are compatible and supported. Lots of accessories. Knox is pretty solid and honest at this point if it has to integrate in a BYOD environment, and well.. you might get an update in 6 months to year for any security issues or bugs.  You get google telemetry and korean telemetry. 

This is based on being on the primary team managing over 35k mobile devices in a BYOD work environment. 

I fucking hate android. When shits broken it's 87 layers of not my problem whereas we can get apple and other vendors together to fix bugs in interoperability. It's not fun, it's not fast, but it is at least possible. 

If you are going to be in a BYOD environment and want to be unhappy buy LG (their flagships are consistently some of the most fucked flagship devices on the market, but they usually have nice screens and look slick to help you make a regrettable decision in the store) or the cheap huwai and blu phones. 

• Like 2

I got a Moto E+ last year to replace a phone that I lost.  The battery on this thing is pretty awesome.  I don't make a lot of calls but do send a fair amount of text messages with data.  I recharge it about once a week, when it gets to about 50%  I also keep GPS and WiFi disabled until I need those features.  It auto updates when it needs to. 

Honestly though, I'd be happier with my old ass Motorola flip phone with no GPS, no facebook, no interwebs.  Just a plain old phone that does not try to invade every aspect of my life.

1 hour ago, this_is_nascar said:

Let's lighten it up a bit, shall we? My Moto Z Play Droid has a battery that's just about at its end of useful life.

Do you like that phone?

Why not just replace the battery for like $20.

I just got a new iPhone XR with vzw. It's great. Battery life, camera and price...free, are all excellent.

My wife had to get a new phone and the store had by one get one free. So we just had to pay the line charge for my phone, the hardware was $0.00.

Do you like that phone?
Why not just replace the battery for like $20.

I had thought of that, but after watching the video, I know it's a task I'd not be able to perform.

I recently got my wife a Moto G and was ready to get that one, but then learned that it doesn't have NFC.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Stop being such an Anti and get an iPhone - it is the best most reliable phone out there.  In 18 months who are you going to turn to for support for your droid?  Apple gives free support for iPhones forever even if you are not the original owner.  All you have to do is walk into an Apple store and they will help you at no charge.  They are also the most reliable phone.  

4 hours ago, this_is_nascar said:

I had thought of that, but after watching the video, I know it's a task I'd not be able to perform.

It's truly not that difficult.

If you can field strip and clean a handgun, you can change a battery. I didn't want to give up my Droid, and have changed the battery twice on it.

It's truly not that difficult.
If you can field strip and clean a handgun, you can change a battery. I didn't want to give up my Droid, and have changed the battery twice on it.

Maybe we should talk :).

Stop being such an Anti and get an iPhone - it is the best most reliable phone out there.  In 18 months who are you going to turn to for support for your droid?  Apple gives free support for iPhones forever even if you are not the original owner.  All you have to do is walk into an Apple store and they will help you at no charge.  They are also the most reliable phone.  
Glad you're having great success with your iPhone, but I'm really not ready to leave the Android OS. Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation in that my GS5 is starting to see it's age. It's already "puffed out" (I think the battery is "inflated" but it still works and keeps a charge.  For how long, however, I don't know.

The question I'm wrestling is, do I go for a GS9 now, or should I try to wait it out for a GS10 (which I understand will be one of the first to be "5G ready...")???  

I use Boost Mobile.  Pay $30 on family plan for unlimited ($120 for 4 phones).

I've had a mid-tier Samsung for just over two years now.  Love it.

Boost Mobile is on Sprint but Verizon has discount services (Wal-Mart's phone service is Verizon I believe).

If you don't need the latest and greatest you should look at some of the monthly, no contract services.