JohnnyB

We need elastic for masks.

My wife is a professional seamstress and makes her living making and altering Bridal and formal gowns.  Needless to say, she has no work!

She has been spending almost every waking moment making and donating masks for all the neighbors, friends and local organizations.  She is having issues finding 1/8" to 1/4" elastic for the ear loops.  If you have some laying around doing nothing, many people would appreciate it!

She can even make some for you. Just needs tight weave, non stretch cotton fabric but more so, the 1/8" to 1/4" elastic. Elastic has gone the way of hand sanitizer, we can't find any in stock!  Of course she is not trying to make nor would she accept any money!  just wants to help others!

Mask.jpg

• Like 5

Cut the bands out of old undewear.  My wife ordered some online on elastic on Amazon and we have been churning out some masks.  It took about 4 days to be shipped.  Not sure if the supply is dwindling, though, or if the shipping times have changed...   

Elastics on Amazon for Sewing

Before she got some elastic, she was using elastics for hair ponytales and scrunchies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Cut the bands out of old undewear.  My wife ordered some online on Amazon and we have been churning out some masks...   

Elastics on Amazon for Sewing

Before she got some elastic, she was using elastics for hair. 

Thanks for the tip!  Problem is, delivery times for most of this stuff is way in the future!

Maybe just sew thin strips and tie the masks.  Initially, I used a bandana and rubber bands.  It worked somewhat in a pinch.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what they are called, but my daughter uses something to tie her hair in a pony tail.  

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Crease-Elastics-Ponytail-Holders/dp/B07VF1V4SM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=hair+ties&qid=1586918653&sprefix=hair+&sr=8-8

They have a cloth like covering so they might be okay over the ear.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

A good idea and not sure about them fraying.......an expensive way to go though for harvesting elastic!:)

LOL yeah it’s a little out of the box thinking but you could ask for donations.. Have people cut the waistband off a pair and send it. I bet one waistband could probably make quite a few masks if the material doesn’t fray when you cut it into 1/8 strips.. it could work haha :D

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Great idea but also 3 weeks to delivery.

That was just for a picture.  I'm pretty sure they are available at any drug store or supermarket.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/scunci-no-damage-ponytail-holders-prodid-687243

Edit: It seems like they may be like Toilet paper at the target/Walmart type stores

Pete.  Those suck.   My daughter has been making 100’s of masks. We tried them    The scrunchy things.  Theyre horrible. They pull the ears forward. 1/4” elastic is the only way.    Or make them with ties.  It takes longer but they are washable that way. 

On 4/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, PeteF said:

I'm not sure what they are called, but my daughter uses something to tie her hair in a pony tail.  

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Crease-Elastics-Ponytail-Holders/dp/B07VF1V4SM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=hair+ties&qid=1586918653&sprefix=hair+&sr=8-8

They have a cloth like covering so they might be okay over the ear.

Bingo. My wife had a bunch of those and made some great ones out of my camo bandannas... They are more comfortable than others I've tried.... tell me no females have these laying around, especially the stretched out ones they don't use.