CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

5 minutes ago, samiam said:

Some nitwit who wants to be investigated for an act committed by one of the 16,000 people who downloaded and printed the image. NTM the rich and varied opportunities for phishers and other scammers she provided.

How does someone plan on using it when the important stuff is entirely redacted?

That was the carry card for the security gaurd that was arrested.

47 minutes ago, samiam said:

My bad. Hadn't enlarged it or noticed that. In fact, that particular example seems to be related to a 2020 NJ hollow-point possession prosecution that was successfully defended by Nappen:

Criminal Charges Dismissed Against Armored Security Guard Roosevelt Twyne

OTGH, it wouldn't at all surprise me to find that some persons have posted fully front and back copies of their NJ permits to carry (or FIPD) to FB. I've seen driver's licenses more than once.

I would hope so, critical duty isn't hollow point.

sorry if this was already covered but another app question...

For the CONSENT FOR MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS SEARCH form SP-066 it says Part 1 To be completed by the applicant. So then its OK for me to fill in the Investigating Police Department (full name I assume) and for the witness entry this is my witness, not the PD witness  correct??

46 minutes ago, FXDX said:

sorry if this was already covered but another app question...

For the CONSENT FOR MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS SEARCH form SP-066 it says Part 1 To be completed by the applicant. So then its OK for me to fill in the Investigating Police Department (full name I assume) and for the witness entry this is my witness, not the PD witness  correct??

From my past experience, my PD DID NOT want me to fill out anything else (Other than applicant info) and SIGN in front of them.  Your department / NJSP may treat it differently.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

Once your three refferences sign it how long to you have to turn it all in?

Not aware of any "deadline". But you do not want to wait so long that references win lottery and disappear,  goto jail, pass away or simply turn against you because you didnt invite them to the wedding ..LOL...  I would get references signed at or right before notary date.

I had about a week from references sign to handing it in.

56 minutes ago, CJack said:

From my past experience, my PD DID NOT want me to fill out anything else (Other than applicant info) and SIGN in front of them.  Your department / NJSP may treat it differently.

that’s what I thought but nowhere on the forum does it say not to complete section one so I did. I’ll bring a blank just in case, getting close..

18 minutes ago, PapaPops said:

Question for those that submitted their application.

I know they want 3 applications, double sided and notarized.

Do they also want 3 copies of your mental health form, drivers license, proof of ownership...etc?

No, only three, original copies, of the app.  Everything else is single copy. 

It was a busy day yesterday so I didn't have any time to post here but, yesterday on July 11st 10 AM, I became the second person in Watchung Boro to submit their CCW packet after the Supreme Court ruling. I made an appointment to come in before hand with the Sgt. in charged of firearm applicants before hand. The appointment was approximatly 15 minutes long, where we gone over each document to make sure it was all right. He went over my notorized letter of proof of ownership of the handguns I qualified with the serial numbers on the RTSP qualification certificate serial numbers. I also submitted a certificate of the RTSP intro to ccw 2 hour course of proof that I can safely handle firearms and know how they operate also. The Sgt. went over the process explaining that the CCW process on the police's end is the same as an FID card/ pistol permit and once the Chief of police approves it (I apply twice a year for 6 pistol permits since December 2019, no issues with getting approved) it will go to the Suprior Court in Somerset County. He said that since Watchung is a smaller town compared to Bridgewater, Franklin or Hillsborogh that he should be able to process the CCW applications at a faster rate compared to the rest of the county but there is still a learning curve at this and that there will still be alot of applicants applying. Also that the Superior Court and the Somerset County Prosecutors Office are still working on the details on processing the influex of applicants for the county. But he said he had enough information to get started on my application which is good!

I was issued a case number by Watchung Police which is similar to what I see with their criminal complants, its not the case number that has been going around like on RTSP website with applicant's last name and date of applicantion. Its an unique number that is issued inhouse by your agency. I already made the appointment with Identigo before I submitted my application so I was able to call and redo the case number, kept the same time and location for my application this Saturday.

Overall, with everything totalled up with the application to obtain a NJ CCW, not counting the price of ammuniton like critical defense, holsters nor firearms its quite a bit:

• $50 money order to the Treasury

• $185 for qualifications for two guns at RTSP

• $99 intro to CCW at RTSP

• $16 for the 1.5 X 1.5 inch photos at CVS

• $96 for Identigo fingerprinting in Staten Island

Total is $446. My boss is a notary so he was able to notarize my documents for the CCW.

I wanted to apply as soon as possible once the Supreme Court got rid of justifiable need. I know friends who want to apply but want to wait but I figure why wait now? I waited long enough and the state legislators are currently in summer recess now, once get back from their break they could be pulling a New York on us and make it harder for us.

I posted this on reddit on r/NJguns but I finally submitted everything!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

It was a busy day yesterday so I didn't have any time to post here but, yesterday on July 11st 10 AM, I became the second person in Watchung Boro to submit their CCW packet after the Supreme Court ruling. I made an appointment to come in before hand with the Sgt. in charged of firearm applicants before hand. The appointment was approximatly 15 minutes long, where we gone over each document to make sure it was all right. He went over my notorized letter of proof of ownership of the handguns I qualified with the serial numbers on the RTSP qualification certificate serial numbers. I also submitted a certificate of the RTSP intro to ccw 2 hour course of proof that I can safely handle firearms and know how they operate also. The Sgt. went over the process explaining that the CCW process on the police's end is the same as an FID card/ pistol permit and once the Chief of police approves it (I apply twice a year for 6 pistol permits since December 2019, no issues with getting approved) it will go to the Suprior Court in Somerset County. He said that since Watchung is a smaller town compared to Bridgewater, Franklin or Hillsborogh that he should be able to process the CCW applications at a faster rate compared to the rest of the county but there is still a learning curve at this and that there will still be alot of applicants applying. Also that the Superior Court and the Somerset County Prosecutors Office are still working on the details on processing the influex of applicants for the county. But he said he had enough information to get started on my application which is good!

I was issued a case number by Watchung Police which is similar to what I see with their criminal complants, its not the case number that has been going around like on RTSP website with applicant's last name and date of applicantion. Its an unique number that is issued inhouse by your agency. I already made the appointment with Identigo before I submitted my application so I was able to call and redo the case number, kept the same time and location for my application this Saturday.

Overall, with everything totalled up with the application to obtain a NJ CCW, not counting the price of ammuniton like critical defense, holsters nor firearms its quite a bit:

• $50 money order to the Treasury

• $185 for qualifications for two guns at RTSP

• $99 intro to CCW at RTSP

• $16 for the 1.5 X 1.5 inch photos at CVS

• $96 for Identigo fingerprinting in Staten Island

Total is $446. My boss is a notary so he was able to notarize my documents for the CCW.

I wanted to apply as soon as possible once the Supreme Court got rid of justifiable need. I know friends who want to apply but want to wait but I figure why wait now? I waited long enough and the state legislators are currently in summer recess now, once get back from their break they could be pulling a New York on us and make it harder for us.

I posted this on reddit on r/NJguns but I finally submitted everything!

You will likely get the permit and not be able to exercise that right anywhere  - until such time as more lawsuits are brought to strike down those laws....that create the sensitive places.

I understand the zeal to apply and get the permit,  yet I am confounded by why it has to be 'right now!'....

Good for those that have done it !

That being said, is there a central ONE STICKY POST, that has all the requirements etc.?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PapaPops said:

Did you have to submit copies of your drivers license/passport or birth certificate?

Or did they just need to see the originals at the time of submission?

I showed them the originals and they made a copy for their record. Always show them the original document, never bring in a photo copy 

• Informative 1

NJSP Washington just called me trying to reach my boss to verify employment. Therefore, I conclude the phone number box on the SP642 should be your employer's phone number, not your own.

The Trooper also called my references today.

When she spoke to me trying to verify employment, she said things looked OK so far.

Apparently, the municipal code on the SP642 is not the ORI number for the PD, but she said she filled it in by hand so should be OK.

She has not received anything back from Indentogo yet (I got printed on 6/30) but she said it goes via NJSP Trenton so not to be concerned yet.

• Thanks 1