joejaxx

Guard Dog?

German Shepherd. Mine is turning 1 this month and is already quite intimidating haha. He's being raised in a loving home with other dogs but the protective qualities still shine through... it's funny to see other people at the park "make way" when I'm walking him.

Doberman. They are always impressive. We had Labs for 25 years but after getting our new pit bull, I would never have a reservation about getting a dog with a bad reputation. It's all how they are trained. Good training costs money ($1000 +) but it is well worth it.

One problem with any type of intelligent dog is that they may be smarter than you! That is why a professional, not a book or video must be considered to help you even the odds. You have to get into their little doggy mind to figure them out.

No, I am not a pro dog trainer.

Doberman. They are always impressive. We had Labs for 25 years but after getting our new pit bull, I would never have a reservation about getting a dog with a bad reputation. It's all how they are trained. Good training costs money ($1000 +) but it is well worth it.

One problem with any type of intelligent dog is that they may be smarter than you! That is why a professional, not a book or video must be considered to help you even the odds. You have to get into their little doggy mind to figure them out.

No, I am not a pro dog trainer.

I agree, 100% with your comments. I've used Dan @ njdog.com for years, and so have about a dozen other people i know, professional training makes all the difference, I have a lab, but i know several people with Pit's, Rotties, that have taken them to him, and these dogs are unbelievably well trained, yet protective.

I love German Shepards. Really smart and great temperment. I also love Rotties and they have a special place in my heart. My last one (R.I.P) was great and the training shined through. Socializing the dog is important too.

I see a lot of Belgian Malimars (spelling) which are a belgian version of shepard. They use them at a lot of Gov't facilities.

Purebred Rottweilers are true protectors of its family and property. My Rotty is like two different animals when we are at home or out. At home he is very anxious around new people on his property or by his owners but when I take him out for a walk or car ride away from the home he is very easy going with new people.

This dog will do anything for me or my wife, all he ever wants is to please and to be shown effection for his actions. Very good dog. We adopted him when he was 4yrs old and he took to us very easily.

Good luck with your search!

-Scott

Purebred Rottweilers are true protectors of its family and property. My Rotty is like two different animals when we are at home or out. At home he is very anxious around new people on his property or by his owners but when I take him out for a walk or car ride away from the home he is very easy going with new people.

This dog will do anything for me or my wife, all he ever wants is to please and to be shown effection for his actions. Very good dog. We adopted him when he was 4yrs old and he took to us very easily.

Good luck with your search!

-Scott

Beautiful dog. Another thing to note is that Rotties like to rub their body along your legs until they get to the but and they lean it on you. It's funny but they are usuallyu heavy.

Here is a few pics of my rottie when she was 12. This was 2.5 years ago and and year later I had to put her down. 13 for a rottie is a long life. Pardon the excavation going on in the pics.

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

+1 for a well-bred Doberman.

I'm not a fan of the oversized Dobes.

I dated a girl who had a 65 lb bitch. The dog was sweet as pie. I saw her "turn it on" once when she had to have eye drops which blurred her visiony. I came in the door without knocking and there was a very brief stand-off in the living room. Once I called her name, she recognized me and went right back to sweet.

Very smart, athletic, loving and protective. Plus, they're good with kids. Of course, this all depends on getting one from a reputable breeder.

I see a lot of Belgian Malimars (spelling) which are a belgian version of shepard. They use them at a lot of Gov't facilities.

*Malinois* :D IMO they are the smaller and hyper version of GSDs. My uncle is a k9 officer and has worked with both and he prefers GSDs. Malinois tend to be a little hard headed. The Shepherd's name is Wolk..he's retired and the Malinois is Axel, both were imported from Europe and are trained in explosive detection and bite work.

You people are over-reacting. Why a dog? Get yourself an Eastern European, German,

Italian, Irish mix, W I F E !!!!! They both eat the same amount. Go for walks. Sleep

anywhere they want. Roll on their backs when you rub their bellies. Shed. But the best part,

is that you can do things that you would'nt want to with a dog. Oh, those stupid morality laws. ;)

I've got an Anatolian Sheperd. Noisiest, loudest mouth you'd ever want on a dog.

Nobody would think of setting foot in my house, she's scary until you get to know her (at 120 lbs). A little hard to train and they have a mind of their own so if your not a strong dog owner she assumes dominance quickly.

Most loyal dog I've ever seen.

I have a boxer. Not quite a guard dog especially since she is only 50 pounds. However you would be surprised how many people cross the street when I walk her because they think she is a pitbull.

I do love German Shepards and Dobermans though. Problem with German Shepards is they shed like a motherfucker. Both Shepards and Dobermans bark a lot. They will bark at any little noise. If you get a Rottie you may have homeowners insurance problems.

we are thinking either GSD or maybe a newfie.

Who are "we" ? :think: Did I miss something? :mrgreen: I thought we were talking about a puli

Ah..hahahaha.. This happens, get used to it. What exactly is a puli?