Cemeterys Gun Blob

Sen Lautenmummy to introduce bill to ban *high capacity* clips

http://www.app.com/article/20110110/NEWS03/110110276/Sen-Lautenberg-urges-ban-on-clips-linked-to-shooting

A longtime Senate gun control advocate announced plans Monday to introduce legislation banning high-capacity ammunition clips

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., said he would introduce the measure to re-establish a prohibition that lapsed in 2004 on clips that feed more than 10 rounds at a time.

Lautenberg said in his statement that the clips like the one alleged assailant Jared Loughner is said to have used were banned from 1994-2004.

Democrats have been the principal supporters of such legislation, but given the complicated political terrain, their attempts have waned in recent years. Republicans, who now control the House, have generally opposed such measures.

http://www.app.com/article/20110110/NEWS03/110110276/Sen-Lautenberg-urges-ban-on-clips-linked-to-shooting

A longtime Senate gun control advocate announced plans Monday to introduce legislation banning high-capacity ammunition clips

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., said he would introduce the measure to re-establish a prohibition that lapsed in 2004 on clips that feed more than 10 rounds at a time.

Lautenberg said in his statement that the clips like the one alleged assailant Jared Loughner is said to have used were banned from 1994-2004.

Democrats have been the principal supporters of such legislation, but given the complicated political terrain, their attempts have waned in recent years. Republicans, who now control the House, have generally opposed such measures.

Excuse Frank - would you just expire already? PLEASE? We so need to send him a hooker with some stamina.

• Like 1

Actually I'm cool with banning "clips" over 10 rounds... All my "clips" are between 5, 8 and 10 rounds... In fact I can't think of a gun or magazine that uses "clips" over 10 rounds... Idiot, didn't he retire once already, isn't it time to revisit that decision?

• Like 1

Not only does he think wrong on guns, he thinks wrong on everything. It took an app for my phone called Visible Vote for me to realize just how horrible this man's brain "works". He is, without a doubt, the worst thing about New Jersey. Visible Vote lets you vote on bills and then compare your results to your polititians.

• Like 1

Ugh. What drives me crazy about all of this is the general theme that politicians scramble to take advantage of such a terrible tragedy for their own benefit.

Measures like this, and other actions targeting 2A, is that its more of an insult as the issue was never guns, but the fact that numerous people and organizations dropped the ball. And instead of examining those issues, the automatic assumption is that individuals are not safe from their own thinking, and that guns will somehow rise up and take over the world. (Ok, a little sarcasm there at the end).

Why aren't there more discussions in the political realm revolving around how and or why this kid was able to legally buy a firearm with the background he had?

As Wojo pointed out earlier, and granted it has been getting coverage, how about the lack of security detail? Especially in a state with such high tensions currently?

There are plenty of other questions to be asked, and granted they all are "double-edged" in a sense (as they could have both positive and negative outcomes).

But stuff like this is such a distraction from a larger issue (such as the toxic political environment that ALL institutions contribute too that are creating deranged individuals [from all backgrounds and beliefs]); and the fact that it boils down to what is otherwise just a hunk of metal (or polymer) is highly insulting to me. Its insulting that politicians think they could somehow make me (and the general public) believe that they can find a magical solution to what is, in reality, a complicated situation that they are in fact, at least, partially responsible for (and of course not acknowledge that fact).

I'm a big believer that it takes tragedy or a miracle to truly make changes (as that is what the masses apparently respond too, or are believed they should respond too). And in the initial wake of the events, I did see all people put aside their party lines, and come together to mourn, as well as admit the faults that were creating such an environment that, possibly, created this deranged individual. But wow, that came tumbling down pretty quick, and, as always, its just the same old politics :facepalm:

• Like 1

Actually I'm cool with banning "clips" over 10 rounds... All my "clips" are between 5, 8 and 10 rounds... In fact I can't think of a gun or magazine that uses "clips" over 10 rounds... Idiot, didn't he retire once already, isn't it time to revisit that decision?

good luck using that defense. "oh but its not a clip its a mag." "dont hit your head on the door, sir"

You guys can poke fun at the language all you want, but the public knows the word "clips" as those things that the bullets go into in a gun. If this gains any traction, the wording of the law will be precise enough that it will affect magazines as well, and we all know that.

Let's not underestimate the intelligence or PR skills of the antis, or overestimate the intelligence of the anti gun rights public. We are in trouble because of the Arizona shooting, both from a 2A and 1A perspective, and whistling past the graveyard isn't going to change that in any useful way.

A shameless display that Frank would look at this very sad and tragic event as an opportunity to pursue his own anti-gun agenda. But hey, that's what they do right? Get at them while the country is in mourning. They're going to milk this for all it's worth. Makes me wonder what some of the anti 2A people in the state of Arizona will propose even with their liberal gun laws.

This may be a stupid question but honestly im kinda new to a situation like this , so what would happen if a law like that was passed {10 round mag cap } would we still be able to keep our 10+ mags since it would be pre-ban or would they all become illegal ????

This may be a stupid question but honestly im kinda new to a situation like this , so what would happen if a law like that was passed {10 round mag cap } would we still be able to keep our 10+ mags since it would be pre-ban or would they all become illegal ????

Even though we havn't seen the legislation, you can bet they won't be grandfathered. You would have to get rid of them, destroy them or have them permanently modified to only accept 10 rounds.

If it goes thru don't count on having anything grandfathered in here in the PRNJ. When NJ went overboard on with the AWB I had to get rid of a couple toys that I miss and magazines. So all the 15 rounders would have to be sold. So, ever more tubular 22lr Rifles will be come illegal and deemed assault rifles. If this does go California, getting NJ compliant magazines is going to suck for a lot of firearms.

Just thought about this, are BB guns exempt from 15 rounds? I have a single shot Gamo and have no idea on Red Ryders and the ones from my youth that held like 250 BB's.

It wouldn't be too bad.

If 30rders were legal, then going down to 10rds would be really crappy. But it's only 5rds. Even on AK/Saiga/Ar mags, some of us have already blocked them 15/30 so you could just block them 10/30.

Yes, I know it's moreso about us standing tall for our rights of 15rders, nonetheless anything higher, but if it were to happen, so what?

There's not much you can do after that, just buy double the amount of mags that's all :D

So...what's being done about this?

It's up to us as voters to stand up to our representitives. I have already written my representitives and told them that this situation is tragic bit it is not an opportunity to push personal agendas and if they support lautenjerk I will vote against them in the next election. Tell the politicians where you stand.

This is about loosing more rights it is not about 5 rounds. Failing to stand up and make noise is as bad as voting for it. It only takes a few minutes to write an email.

• Like 1

Retire already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs to be voted out! We can't sit around hoping he will retire. It's up to the voters to hire his replacement. Unfortunately people keep voting him in. Most gun owners know him as an enemy to our rights but uninformed people and liberals keep him employed.

• Like 1

It's up to us as voters to stand up to our representitives. I have already written my representitives and told them that this situation is tragic bit it is not an opportunity to push personal agendas and if they support lautenjerk I will vote against them in the next election. Tell the politicians where you stand.

This is about loosing more rights it is not about 5 rounds. Failing to stand up and make noise is as bad as voting for it. It only takes a few minutes to write an email.

+1