vjf915

Remington UMC problems.....

So a couple nights ago I was test shooting Ray Ray's SR9. Going through one of the mags, I notice that after one shot the slide did not cycle all the way forward. A round got jammed in the chamber. Upon ejecting the round, we found that the projectile was pushed into the casing. Having seen this happen on one other round from the UMC box, I checked out more. I went through the entire box, which was about 150 rounds left.....I found 38 rounds that I could push the projectile into the casing with just my fingers, and some required very little effort. Has anyone had this problem with UMC, or any other brand of ammo? Please, any info or input is much appreciated. I don't plan to buy anymore of this, as I will be switching to HP ammo soon. And I will NOT be using these rounds in any firearm.

This is a REAL issue especially in 9mm as you are starting out with a pretty high pressure cartridge to begin with.

I would contact Remington and at minimum have the stuff replaced. They should make good for it at least and at best

you could end up with a generous amount of ammo.

For some reason Remington ammo is sub standard to ANY other type of ammo. Which includes Wolf and Blazer aluminum. Sorry to hear that bro. I would cotact Remington and see what could be done.

Seems to be a common occurrence lately - UMC causing problems. I'm at the point where unless someone gives it to me for free, I won't buy UMC.

ETA: Regarding other brands of problematic ammo - I've run into consistent problems with a lot of PRVI 115gr 9mm FMJs I recently bought. I've had numerous FTEs in a number of different handguns. Ammo seems seriously underpowered. I've had good luck with PRVI in other calibers, so I'm not ruling them out entirely for future purchases, but it has definitely made me hesitant.

I've fed my CZ SP01 Phantom 9mm with Federal, Winchester (White Box), Speer, American Eagle, and Remington UMC. The three times I've had problems with it involved Remington UMC. None of the other brands ever caused any issues. I even cleaned it and oiled it before a USPSA match and it didn't cycle properly in two different occassions. As soon as I switch to a different brand, no more cycling problem. No more UMC Remington for me.

Would you happen to have the lot# and who you purchased from? Recently purchased some UMC as well..

The only thing I can find is "L9MM3A". Don't know if it's a lot number, but it's the closest I can find. I bought it from Dicks in Lawrenceville.

I DEFINITELY will be contacting Remington about this, and I will DEFINITELY will be speaking my mind.....

I would suggest that anybody who has Remington UMC go over each and every round. If you get through half of them and haven't found one, then you can give up. The ones I found were random throughout the entire box.

This is actually really disturbing.....I mean I don't even know if I would use this crap for just range ammo if they sent me a replacement box....

I think that when I contact Remington I will just be asking for a refund. After the stories you guys are telling, this doesn't even seem like ammo I want to shoot at the range. I don't want to damage my gun. Refund it will be.

Or I will demand that they send me an 870 :icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

I used a value pack last month in a Glock 19 Generation 1 and I had a few (maybe 5 or6) light primer strikes. I reloaded them and they still wouldn't ignite. Dropped them in a 92FS and a Sig229 and they went off.

I used a value pack last month in a Glock 19 Generation 1 and I had a few (maybe 5 or6) light primer strikes. I reloaded them and they still wouldn't ignite. Dropped them in a 92FS and a Sig229 and they went off.

You may need a striker spring Bubba...

So I had 3 boxes of this stuff (750 rounds). One of the boxes appeared to have gotten slightly crushed in the shipping process. The corner was crushed in, and pieces of the plastic tray holding the rounds was also broken in that corner. The round in the very corner that was crushed, had the projectile pushed into the casing just like vjf showed. I noticed it immediately and took it out to not shoot. I since shot 549 rounds problem free.

Today at the range I was shooting some more. On the 78th round, as I'm shooting, bang, bang, bang, click. I look at my M&P and see it isn't all the way in battery. Odd. First problem with the handgun since I got it. So tap, rack, bang. Fires the last round in the magazine. Oh well. I pick up the extracted round, load it into the magazine again, slide forward...same thing. Not in battery. I eject the round again. Not knowing much about ammo, I decide to compare it to some other rounds. Looks normal. Maybe there was some dirt stuck to it or something, so I dust it off. One more try. Magazine in, rack the slide, and....wait a minute. Something doesn't seem right. Let me just ejected it again to be certain. Huh. Now the slide is stuck. Normal amount of force used to rack the slide, nothing. Now I know the round is the problem. I get a better grip, and yank the slide back, and it finally pops out. There are a couple of marks where the projectile meets the casing, as well as what appears to almost be a bur on the bottom of the casing.

I found 1 bad round in a 250 rd box. I'll check the other box of 250 tonight. I pulled on all the bullets to make sure they were secure in the case and then I measured them with a pair of electronic calipers to check the overall length.