DevsAdvocate

New range in West Paterson/Woodland Park?

We will def be up and running before its cold...even if delayed due to final inspections..my guess would be first week of Oct latest. But I might burst your bubble just a bit in that we will not be allowing reloads at the range...Its just too risky for us regarding the quality and security of those on the range to have anything but factory ammunition...you don't have to buy it from us (unless its a rental gun), but I don't see us allowing personally loaded ammo at RTSP....

Wow! - this is a big disappointment. I've done a good amount of shooting and haven't witnessed a dangerous situation with reloads although I'm sure it does happen. I'd have to say the reloaders I've met from this site are meticulous with their reloading techniques and make ammo superior to store bought. I bet I've seen more gun jams with factory ammo, but that may be from a higher amount of factory ammo shot. I would say for the most part, reloaders are more experienced with firearms and safety than a novice shooting factory ammo. I don't want to start a flame war with non-reloaders and I'm not saying non-reloaders aren't experienced as reloaders, but for the most part, reloaders are usually pretty familiar with firearms before they attempt to reload. Just sayin...

SS has a similar restriction but I think it has more to do the not having to seperate the brass than safety, also makes it easier to sell the range brass.

Harry

I think that is why they do it. No one wants to pick thru a 55 gallon drum of brass.

Wow. I guess we misjudged the response regarding reloads! We were up at the range this morning discussing this thread and decided to listen, instead of dictate. So, we will now be allowing reloads! Thanks for the passionate responses!

Awesome - thanks!

Wow. I guess we misjudged the response regarding reloads! We were up at the range this morning discussing this thread and decided to listen, instead of dictate. So, we will now be allowing reloads! Thanks for the passionate responses!

Good job listening to you future customers.

Harry

RTSP thank you for listening. Reloaders will not shoot commercial ammo unless a dire emergency. You will get many reasons why reloaders won't EVER use commercial ammo. But like many things it is simple ego which we all suffer from. After all MY ammo is better than anyone's that is why we won't shoot other ammo. This is my humble opinion.

I might of missed it but two quick questions.

(1) You have the room at the back, why didn't you go with a slightly longer range, I'm sure the rifle guys would of appreciated that and some pistol guys as well.

(2) With a slight reconfig. of your refreshments area you could of easily gotten another 1-2 ports in thus increasing your income potential.

Just curious with my Architecture background.

Good luck with the build.

M

I'm not a reloader, and I'm a little new to the shooting sports, but for me the value of listening to your customers (the ones spending the money) is key to a successful business.

Very much a big +1 for that. My experiences says that you will have more issues like this one - take your time, listen, then make a decision, if it doesn't work out then do something different (obviously).

And for me time is more important than money so reloading is not an option at this point - maybe once I retire.

jmar

(1) You have the room at the back, why didn't you go with a slightly longer range, I'm sure the rifle guys would of appreciated that and some pistol guys as well.

(2) With a slight reconfig. of your refreshments area you could of easily gotten another 1-2 ports in thus increasing your income potential.

M

To address these by number will be easier and give you the reasoning behind our layout:

(1) The room at the back is being transformed into a simunition shoot house for both civilian tactical real-life situational training, as well as Law Enforcement tactical training. One of our partners is a cop and will be running different LEO thru their training....and its only 26 feet more of depth..not much of an addition to the 25 yds that you have on the current layout..or should I say enough to really help rifle guys zero in their scopes any better.

(2) Yes we could have easily gotten 2 more lanes to the left if we wanted. The main reason, outside of needing that area for storage, since we are using the back for tactical training, is cost. Each lane is tremendously expensive...and if things go well and you all actually show up :) we have the ability to expand up to 20 ports...Lets go one step at a time and make sure we were right about the need for a new range and the ability to generate enough cash flow to expand.....

You just lost me with the no reloads, I don't shoot any factory ammo. Bye!

See Luis, ya shouldn't have left us before even joining us...now ya missed out on the reload policy change...well good luck at those other ranges!! :) LOL jk...we're just gonna charge you more than everyone else for leaving us!!

• Like 1

Will us Civilians be able to access the simunitions/training? :)

Yes, we are being certified to offer it to civilians as well...we haven't designed the program just yet...but def will be civilian courses offered...

Makes total sense hearing the explanations. Figured there was a valid reason but going off the floor plan it was just the two things that jumped out at me.

Does your contractor have an expected completion date / grand opening for you?

One more thing, the state / town isn't requiring that block to be filled solid?

We are hoping for an end of Sept opening..it all depends on final inspections and CO...

And yes, the block is filled solid!

oh ok I was looking at the pictures and they didn't look filled solid I'm like well now that's odd! haha good to hear.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for september good luck hopefully you don't have any construction delays!

M

PM sent

M

Your architectural advise I respect. But with the exception of a test fire hole, rifles belong outdoors. And you know that.

Really sux having some yahoo letting loose with a rifle indoors at a pistol range. And what's the challenge?

• Like 4

Your architectural advise I respect. But with the exception of a test fire hole, rifles belong outdoors. And you know that.

Really sux having some yahoo letting loose with a rifle indoors at a pistol range. And what's the challenge?

Other than function testing, close sight in, and possible sale, no need for rifles indoors on a short distance range.

Crap what else do we agree on?

• Like 1

See Luis, ya shouldn't have left us before even joining us...now ya missed out on the reload policy change...well good luck at those other ranges!! :) LOL jk...we're just gonna charge you more than everyone else for leaving us!!

The good thing is I belong to a two other clubs and I do actually like Bullet Hole which is 15 minutes away from my house :)

So I don't think you will have the opportunity of over charge me :p

The good thing is I belong to a two other clubs and I do actually like Bullet Hole which is 15 minutes away from my house :)

So I don't think you won't have the opportunity of over charge me :p

note to ALL, dont try to one up Luis! = he's on top of his game! :vinsent:

SS has a similar restriction but I think it has more to do the not having to separate the brass than safety, also makes it easier to sell the range brass.

Harry

I shoot at SS and was told the same thing about not allowing steel ammo.

Damn, I'm subscribed to this thread and my email been blowin up, had to stop in and see what all the ruckus was. Not a reloader(in the gun world anyways lol) so that decision wouldn't affect me at all. You'll never be able to please everyone, but good on you guys for not only listening, but coming to a resolution that just made a lot of your potential customers happy. Can't wait for this facility to open.

Edited home range info in profile...w00t! Speaking of which...any thoughts or plans of a Grand Opening party/gathering?