I saw nothing

White House Plans to Release New Gun Safety Measures ‘in the Near Future’

WASHINGTON (The Blaze/AP) — Six months after Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot, the White House is preparing to propose some new steps on gun safety, though they’re likely to fall short of the bold measures activists would like to see.

Spokesman Jay Carney said that the new steps would be made public “in the near future.” He didn’t offer details, but people involved in talks at the Justice Department to craft the new measures said they expected to see something in the next several weeks. Whatever is proposed is not expected to involve legislation or take on major issues, like banning assault weapons, but could include executive action to strengthen the background check system or other steps.

“The president directed the attorney general to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common-sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights,” Carney said Thursday. “That process is well under way at the Department of Justice, with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues, and we expect to have some more specific announcements in the near future.”

Anti-gun groups have been disappointed to see no action so far from President Barack Obama, who supported tough gun control measures earlier in his career but fell largely silent upon becoming president. Some activists were using the opportunity of the six-month anniversary of the Giffords shooting on Friday to speak up.

The shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., killed six people and wounded more than a dozen others, including Giffords. Two months later, Obama wrote an opinion piece in Giffords’ local paper, the Arizona Daily Star, calling for “sound and effective steps” to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, including strengthening background checks. He wrote:

Guns and gov't

The President has assured us they will only be "common sense" laws. What could possibly go wrong?

Gotta get rid of those damned corporate jets! The man talks such sense! I feel so safe with him at the helm!

He knows what is good for us! What are we going to do when he's out of office in another 5 1/2 years?

Get your high capacity mags now folks... and keep them out of state ofcourse

No such thing as "high capacity mags"... there are only magazines. "High capacity" is a myth dreamed up by the anti-gun establishment like "assault weapon" and "assault magazine". It is a subjective and arbitrary definition. I deem something "high capacity" as being 1500 rounds on a continuous belt. The anti's feel "high capacity" is 5 rounds in a magazine. Who is correct?

• Like 3

I look at this as being his death sentence for next year's election.

I feel the same way.. Its one thing to challenge the current laws and push for more strict gun control..but this is a sucker punch. I can't get anything done because the house is run by republicans is not a good enough excuse for me... they run the house and were voted in to keep OBAMA from doing stupid **** like this... If this is serious, i feel like he will have a much harder time winning the next election...

I feel the same way.. Its one thing to challenge the current laws and push for more strict gun control..but this is a sucker punch. I can't get anything done because the house is run by republicans is not a good enough excuse for me... they run the house and were voted in to keep OBAMA from doing stupid **** like this... If this is serious, i feel like he will have a much harder time winning the next election...

Well, look at what troubles Christie is running into in NJ..... same type of thing. Except of course, Christie wants to actually fix stuff...

Anyway - The next election really depends on who the Republican nominee is..

I look at this as being his death sentence for next year's election.

This is why I'm still considering it a non-story. I don't expect the president to do anything on gun control until he's in his second term. Then I would be worried, but a year from the election? It will be interesting.

They keep invoking Giffords's name-- curious what she actually thinks, being a Glock owner and all.

Why does my head whistle when the wind blows?... might be a thought she has.

(ducking for cover from the they ain't funny group)

• Like 1

Why does my head whistle when the wind blows?... might be a thought she has.

(ducking for cover from the they ain't funny group)

Or Why do I have brain freeze, yet have not drank a slurpee in ages?

Well, look at what troubles Christie is running into in NJ..... same type of thing. Except of course, Christie wants to actually fix stuff...

Anyway - The next election really depends on who the Republican nominee is..

Oh yeah...Christie wants to fix things..EXCEPT where they are affecting his cronies. Don't believe the Smoke and Mirrors.

• Like 1

Oh yeah...Christie wants to fix things..EXCEPT where they are affecting his cronies. Don't believe the Smoke and Mirrors.

Some feel he's a fat a** bully, but I kind of admire him for exposing the average NJ public workers for what they are, overpaid, underworked union crybabies. :locomotive:

Some feel he's a fat a** bully, but I kind of admire him for exposing the average NJ public workers for what they are, overpaid, underworked union crybabies. :locomotive:

And some of us like to see him expose some of the sheep for what they are..people that will Cheer a guy who would gleefully strip away the few gun rights they have just because he goes after people they DON'T like. Simple fact is that his cronies and those closest to him are double, and triple-dipping, and collecting public pensions as they continue to work for the state..but I Guess that's Ok as long as they're the guys YOU like.

• Like 1