this_is_nascar

Which .22LR Round Are You Using?

I just use the federal bulk packs they are accurate enough for me, they run 100% in my pistol and seem to be cleaner than some other brands Ive tried.

I just bought 5 of these when Cabelas had them on sale for $9.99ea http://www.cabelas.com/ammo-federal-champion-22lr-375-round-pack-ammunition.shtml

My friend says some very good target shooters are winning matches with plain old CCI Standard Velocity. For general plinking, I find Federal bulk packs (like the post above only 550 round boxes) to be reliable in all my rimfire pistols and rifles, even semi-auto. I will not buy Thunderbolts as they are dirty, smoky and cause jams.

Mostly the Federal Champion Bulk packs that are being mentioned, and for probably the same reason. It is cheap, you can easily buy it in bulk (duh!), and it has been completely reliable.

I recently did an accuracy test using my Marlin 60 at 25 yards. I tested Federal Champion Bulk (36 grain HP), Federal AutoMatch (40 grain round nose), CCI Mini-mags (40 grain round nose), and CCI Mini-mags (36 grain HP). For practical plinking, all 4 shot great. I shot 10 shot groups, and all 4 shot one ragged hole with the exception of the Federal bulk, which shot one ragged hole with a couple 'fliers' I guess you could say. I shot these 10 shots groups twice to help eliminated shooter error, parallax error and see if the groups were similar. They were.

Overall, all 4 ammos shot great. None had any failures. The only thing that I could infer from my test, is that the Federal bulk may just have a little less consistency in accuracy.

I think of all the .22's I have shot, the golden bullets are the worst

They suck, pure and simple. I'm cheap and I won't buy them. I bought two bulk packs and they were my worst nightmare. Many many many fail to fires due to no primer in the rim.

When I had my 22 AR upper which was a little finicky with ammo I liked the CCI Tactical...IIRC it was $25 for 375 so right in between Federal bulk pack and the Mini Mag in terms of per-round price. My 15-22 is a little more ammo-agnostic so I'll probably go back to Federal when the CCI runs out.

Still keep a few boxes of Velocitor around for squirrels.

Auto match was terrible, I stick with plated now.

I have been using Federal Bulk 525 and 375 packs, I pick it up when I see a good sale and no shipping or next to nothing on shipping. I use it in my Walther P22, My wifes MK III Hunter a pair of Marlin 795's and my other Marlin Golden 39A lever action and no problems with the ammo. Also have use CCI Mini Mag but I keep mostly Bulk ammo in stock.

I'll be adding a Taurus Model 94 and GSG 1911 to the 22 family soon and hoping that I won't need to get a different ammo for them.

Harry

Just picked up a GSG 1911. Need to use High Velocity as stated on the side. It loves CCI mini mag (300 rounds No issues). OK with the Federal Bulk (1 FTE in 250)

I tried CCI tactical, CCI Standard Velocity, American Eagle, Winchester wildcat 22 H.V.

I tried all of these because they are what I had in my bag...NO GO with the GSG 1911. Won't feed, constant FTE.

I read reviews that said it would shoot anything...not true

Just picked up a GSG 1911. Need to use High Velocity as stated on the side. It loves CCI mini mag (300 rounds No issues). OK with the Federal Bulk (1 FTE in 250)

I tried CCI tactical, CCI Standard Velocity, American Eagle, Winchester wildcat 22 H.V.

I tried all of these because they are what I had in my bag...NO GO with the GSG 1911. Won't feed, constant FTE.

I read reviews that said it would shoot anything...not true

I know you probably did but just have to ask, when you test fired the different ammo was the gun cleaned prior to shooting?

Also how many rounds are down the pipe? Also how about any of the Federal Bulk ammo?

The only reason I ask is I do plan on getting the GSG 1911 next month and I could swear Jon was using Bulk ammo with no problems at the OBRAMS match last month.

Harry

I know you probably did but just have to ask, when you test fired the different ammo was the gun cleaned prior to shooting?

Also how many rounds are down the pipe? Also how about any of the Federal Bulk ammo?

The only reason I ask is I do plan on getting the GSG 1911 next month and I could swear Jon was using Bulk ammo with no problems at the OBRAMS match last month.

Harry

Absolutely, used it for steel on Sunday and was having problems all day. Cleaned thoroughly inspected everything.

Shot all the standard velocity today, then the Wild Cat HV...problems. Then ran through all 300 of the CCI mini mags without a single issue. It did shoot about 300 of the Federal Bulk OK the day after I got it..with One FTE.

It has less than 1000 rounds as of today.