gimmemym1

Went out and bought my dream car this weekend.

1971 Jeep m35a2

6 cyl multifuel turbo diesel. 10 wheel drive and 6 miles to the gallon. I cant wait to drop the boys off at school tomorrow and park next to all the minivans. My wife really thinks I'm crazy now! But she let me buy it and wants to ride in it.

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

]

• Like 8

Nice, My Brother in-law's neighbor 2 houses over I think has one, I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow, that and he has a bunch of other cool military vehicles and misc equipment.

Razz-o might also let me know if I'm right or wrong if he sees this being he lives on the same street.

Harry

Hey petros I dont know much about them either. It was more of an impulse buy, and a hell of a big one. I bought it in Toms River from a guy who goes to Gov't auctions and picks them up. If you go on Steel Soldiers. com there is a lot of info about these trucks.

I am very jealous. I make comments to my wife about wanting a Duce and a half and she just rolls her eyes. Enjoy it.

Maybe she wants something with 5 ton rears??? or just up-sell that for a while and compromise on the duce and a Half down the road.:icon_e_wink:

Harry

No experience with these with these so I'm just curious what's up with the shift pattern?

Joe, I know you're aware of what a "normal" shift pattern looks like. Compare that, to what's shown on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

IMAG0139.jpg

Being that the first 5 speed I drove (back in the 60s) was a deuce and a half the shift pattern makes sense in some respects. If you're trying to rock the truck out of the mud its much easier to shift first to reverse with that shift pattern the M35 has. First gear is a very low granny gear and unless you want to creep along, on a very steep hill, or have a heavy load you can start off in 2nd which is geared low anyway.

There are a few cars out there with that shift pattern and I've heard it referred to as a "racing" 5 speed pattern. The logic being if you're driving in a road race you aren't using first or reverse after the race starts.

These are about the most unbreakable trucks made IMO. The major problem with them in Vietnam was brakes and u-joints due to the mud and dust. Minor electrical problems are usually the result of military trucks (as in the Guard and Reserve) sitting a lot. Some seals also dry out from lack of use.

There are some maintenance tips I can give you. Be sure to drain the air tanks at the end of a day. The water collects in it and rusts through the tank. It only takes a minute or so to build up pressure when you start the truck up again. When you are going to shut off the engine let it idle for a few minutes (I think the manual says 5) to give the turbo time to slow down. The bearings in the turbo are only fed oil with the engine running. If you shut down the engine right away the turbo is left spinning without any lubrication. Civilian cars and trucks with turbos are designed to deal with this lubrication issue but not a 2 1/2 ton.

Never park the truck in gear. If bumped being a diesel the engine can start and keep running as the injector pump can suck up fuel without the fuel pump running. I have seen people seriously injured due to this. This is one reason the military uses chocks when parking.

These trucks actually make sense if you're looking for a good utility truck with character. There were thousands of them reconditioned for Desert Storm that have been sitting since that time. I've seen them go for $3000-8000 depending on condition and accessories (canvas, seats, winch, etc). Mileage is a downer with 5-6 the usual but I have seen them get as high as 8-10 highway (level surface, no load, caeful driving). You can register as an antique (free renewals). It will last you the rest of your life with reasonable care.

I'm still trying to convince my wife before they're all gone.

When I use to own my jeep and went rock crawling I wanted to buy a deuce and a half and make it into a towing rig. Never got around to it, maybe someday. Would also love to own a scout car and a original army jeep as well