creeper

Disturbing development at Cherry Ridge Range

Cameras at the Range  

53 members have voted

1. 1. You are a member at CR, do you want cameras at the range?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am too afraid to take a stance

I do private consulting /engineering on my own and were for an integrator....

I have been integrating large fire alarms and security/CCTV/access systems across the conus in a central station Enviromental for the past 22 years. From one camera system to retail banking 32 cam systems to exterior thermal imaging with terabytes of storage...With remote lp monitoring and co integration. ......easy peasy lemon squeasey...

not to self.....next townhouse, call Nick!

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

Cameras at private ranges are nothing new. Look at old bridge. As a member Im fine with it, and they even tell you at orientation that if you do something stupid you will be caught and punished, the tapes are monitored. Recently they had one of the exterior cameras stolen off the side of the building. Now the replacement camera and some of the others are hooked into into a nice screen so you can see exactly whats going on out in the parking lot, before you walk out to your car holding something that would be EXTREMELY attraction to a criminal. The cameras can work in your favor too.

Yup, and OB had to get the cameras because some people just couldn't grasp being safe and not destroying club property. We are reaching a point were the idiots are forcing clubs to choose between surveillance or not having a club.

I'm not normally in the tinfoil hat group but I do have some concerns about having a recording of me at a range. Imagine you are involved in a shooting at home, and the prosecutor digs up a recording from the range that shows you making a mistake during a high stress drill, then uses it as evidence that you are incompetent or irresponsible.

In fact Anthony Colandro mentioned on his GFHR podcast that while they record students during class in the Simunition shoothouse, they destroy the recordings immediately after class for this very reason.

We do in fact destroy all recordings. That is part of our contractual agreement with General Dynamics (Simunitions). They feel that is a training tape showing the student making mistakes could end up in the wrong (prosecutor) hands and be used against you in a court of law.

Anthony

We do in fact destroy all recordings. That is part of our contractual agreement with General Dynamics (Simunitions). They feel that is a training tape showing the student making mistakes could end up in the wrong (prosecutor) hands and be used against you in a court of law.

Anthony

So for all those who think that people who are concerned about having range video used against them are just paranoid.

Add General Dynamics's lawyers to the the tinfoil group.

• Like 1

Anthony

I definitely agree with that position. Good job Anthony.

Somerset Fish and Game Range in Bridgewater is planning to install cameras also. What a bunch of crap! Instead of installing a heating system that works in the indoor range in the winter this is what they want to piss money away on. I am not at all happy with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly are you worried about them seeing? If you follow the rules and act accordingly then i fail to see how anything bad could come of it.

Massachusettes recently enacted a law making it illegal to videotape state troopers. There is no harm in doing that! What are they worried about you seeing?

Somerset Fish and Game Range in Bridgewater is planning to install cameras also. What a bunch of crap! Instead of installing a heating system that works in the indoor range in the winter this is what they want to piss money away on. I am not at all happy with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As said, if we didn't live in the legal world we live in and if everyone treated the range as if they owned it we may not need these cameras, but the way things are, I would rather have the cameras, catch the A-Holes who damage things and take care of it rather than waste my money I pay fixing crap that didn't need to be damaged in the first place.

Thank of it this way, the cameras will probably add the the number of years the club/range is in existence all the while probably saving you money on dues that don't need to be increased due to these thoughtless and careless A-Holes.

Harry

As said, if we didn't live in the legal world we live in and if everyone treated the range as if they owned it we may not need these cameras, but the way things are, I would rather have the cameras, catch the A-Holes who damage things and take care of it rather than waste my money I pay fixing crap that didn't need to be damaged in the first place.

Thank of it this way, the cameras will probably add the the number of years the club/range is in existence all the while probably saving you money on dues that don't need to be increased due to these thoughtless and careless A-Holes.

Harry

Somerset Fish and Game has $250,000 in the bank. They have no reason to raise the dues or add cameras. Period!

Somerset Fish and Game has $250,000 in the bank. They have no reason to raise the dues or add cameras. Period!

Ok, don't know the particulars of your club but I'll tell you not all are perfect with no members shooting things they shouldn't and damaging things like some other clubs, guess your very lucky to be in a club with no problems.

Harry

Heat for IDPA in the winter would be nice... As much as I love freezing my nuts off for 6 hours.

Folks, as a security professional it is the RIGHT move on the ANJRPC's part. First and foremost NOT to nitpick it is NO LONGER video tape....it is Digital Video Recording. Searching would be kinda easy.....HOWEVER, for someone to pick the exact date and time and location that you are on at the range is almost impossible...unless they new the time period....

First, my guess is the cameras are there SOLELY for liability reasons, i.e 'slip and fall'...... Not active monitoring.

Second, if the system is setup like I think it would be, the system cannot fully realize it's full potential of maximum storage utilizing video motion detection. My guess it is setup for full frame DAYTIME recording and depending on what model/setup they purchased they would be lucky to have two weeks of storage...my guess is they prolly would be happy with the last seven days....24hrs....if there is an 'event' they can take it off the machine right away.

The fact is cameras are the way of life today and they are in more places that you know and you are always being 'watched' by big brother....

But to think that this is anything other than a liability protective move by the ANJRPC is silly IMHO....

You got there before me. Modern DVR systems only hold a few days to a week or two of footage.

Any more storage is prohibitively expensive. We're talking hundreds to thousands more.

However I must say that the way our legal system works, combined with our predatory and ignorant media, the OP has a point... just barely.

Personally, I'd rather be able to prove that some teenager-guest-idiot is breaking all the rules ,and get them kicked-out before someone gets hurt or worse (with video).

Did something REALLY serious happen recently on the range property that required the installation of the video system? Or did Cherry Ridge install the system as a CYA thing? It's the CYA thing, right? Cherry Ridge was established back in 1935. How has the range managed to survive & prosper up until now WITHOUT a video system?

What's next? Signing in at the clubhouse every time you show up to use the range? Inspecting firearms and ammo in the clubhouse before being allowed onto a firing line? What else? I for one am tired of being treated with suspicion just because I have a good time exercising my second amendment rights. This video system smacks of "guilty until proven innocent".

I noticed the video system the other day when I was there. It is completely unnecessary and a WASTE of our dues.

Are you kidding? I'd just sign in as "HavocMan" LMAO

Seriously though - as part owner, why do members have to sign in at Central Jersey? Someone needs to mind their own business and stop concerning themselves with how other folks spend their time.

You mean like Central Jersey??

Or OB at the indoor range, that I see if more for the protection of the person visiting the range, maybe not so much during the day, but the middle of the night coming home at 2,3, or 4 in the morning and something happens and you are found with a pistol by a LEO, you would have backup on tape and a logbook of your arrival and departure time.

One more thing that I didn;t see mentioned in regards to the cameras, I wonder if there might be a cost savings on the club insurance premiums with a camera system vs. no system.

I WISH they would take our money, put a gate at the entrance to range road, and hand out key fobs like they do at CJRPC. That would make me BEYOND thrilled.

Great news Matt we are putting an electronic gate at the entrance to the parking lot with a key fob system. This will prevent non members from using the rand as well as keeping any type of press or Amit gunners from just dropping by. This addition was also part of the 18 month budget. There are many, many range upgrades and improvements in the works also.

I WISH they would take our money, put a gate at the entrance to range road, and hand out key fobs like they do at CJRPC. That would make me BEYOND thrilled.

Why? What business is it of anyone else? We pay our dues and in return we should have access to the range when it is open. Period. NOBODY should be tracking how often we visit the range or when we visit the range. NOBODY should be watching and recording our comings & goings. That is complete nonsense. Again, that smacks of "guilty until proven innocent".

How about this - in addition to the video system, how about we also issue ankle bracelets to everyone. That's fine, right? No? Why not? What's the big deal? What are you afraid of? What are you hiding? What have you been up to? Why did you leave your home on Monday morning at 2am?

See where this kind of intrusive incrementalism leads?

Great news Matt we are putting an electronic gate at the entrance to the parking lot with a key fob system. This will prevent non members from using the rand as well as keeping any type of press or Amit gunners from just dropping by. This addition was also part of the 18 month budget. There are many, many range upgrades and improvements in the works also.

Wow...

Will the fobs be individualized or serialized somehow? Or will they all be the same? The gate will be at the beginning of Range Road? Or deeper into the property at the intersection with the POLICE phone?

Why? What business is it of anyone else? We pay our dues and in return we should have access to the range when it is open. Period. NOBODY should be tracking how often we visit the range or when we visit the range. NOBODY should be watching and recording our comings & goings. That is complete nonsense. Again, that smacks of "guilty until proven innocent".

How about this - in addition to the video system, how about we also issue ankle bracelets to everyone. That's fine, right? No? Why not? What's the big deal? What are you afraid of? What are you hiding? What have you been up to? Why did you leave your home on Monday morning at 2am?

See where this kind of intrusive incrementalism leads?

Loosen the tinfoil a little dude, there is no one forcing anyone to go to any of these ranges, and while some will see surveillance of a private range that we are members of as a way of protecting our interest in the club, as other may not. These clubs are not a secret society of big brother who have been sleeping in the background to gain your trust for all of these year only to tun on you in the future. :icon_rolleyes: