Ray Ray

lock-down drill

Okay, here's the deal. I work for board of education and part of my job is to fill in as a custodian/boiler operator at schools where someone is out sick or injured. Well, the principal wanted to have a "lock-down drill" which I've never done before as the custodian. So, she tells me what I have to do. It's basically for an unknown person has entered the school or is on school grounds. Check this crap out! She calls over the mic, "the school is in lock-down". All the teachers must lock all the classroom doors with the students inside and my job is to walk the halls making sure no one prohibited is there. Okay, so I'm supposed to be live bait or something? I mean really, save the teachers and the kids, eff the janitors since they are dirty people that just clean the bathrooms. This is ridiculous, but it's state law. Nice right!?!

In high school, we had a code for a lockdown drill. Whenever we were gonna do a lockdown, the principal came over the PA and said, "There is a plumber in the building." It was a huge joke to all of us.

The thing about the janitors is insane. Unless they let them carry :D

Teachers cant leave the children so they cant go out and check who should and shouldn't be in the building. Custodians and janitors are really the only personnel in a school building that are usually available at a moments notice to do things in general in a school. I remember in my school back in the day the janitors just hung out in their "break room" until called to clean up something or set up chairs for an assembly. Janitors are picked for that availability aspect, not because they are less of human beings or anything, to me it makes sense and if I was a janitor anywhere with that job I would be kinda proud I could be first line of defense in protecting children.

Don't NJ schools have security guards?

When I was in high school we had security guards but elementary and middle school didn't. I know some middle schools do now, during drills when I was in high school they had that walk around and check who should be in the building responsibility.

the police should walk the building !!!

When theres a lock down drill the cops should be there.

Plus its an excuse to bring in the drug dogs!

Electrician for a BOE and township :).

What are you going to do squirt mop oil on the floor and foil the bad guys :)

Janitors are picked for that availability aspect, not because they are less of human beings or anything, to me it makes sense and if I was a janitor anywhere with that job I would be kinda proud I could be first line of defense in protecting children.

F that. Ray Ray would literally be unarmed bait for a school shooter. Like fish in a barrel. If they lockdown I would lock myself in a safe area. If he was carrying that's a different story. I would not roam the halls unarmed if there was a lockdown. No way in hell.

Don't NJ schools have security guards?

I know when I was in school we didn't have anyone, we built things in shop class that would get people arrested today and we carried knives and we never had a problem like they have in schools these days.

My daughter is 12 and her she said they have a LEO on the grounds, not sure if it's an all day post or just as they are coming and going. My niece just said they have multiple security guards at her high school and these are schools in Sayreville, not like the ones I went to in Elizabeth and then Avenel and Colonia.

It was a different time, Avenel had the motto: "Give them Hell from Avenel" and Colonia high back then had the motto: Bud cans and Bones" boy have things changed..

Never understood the paint of lockdown drills in the first place.

Every school shooting I've ever seen is a disgruntled student - who would be familiar with who is in what classroom, the lockdown procedure, everything.

Just a big show and dance to give people the illusion of safety.

Electrician for a BOE and township :).

What are you going to do squirt mop oil on the floor and foil the bad guys :)

Yes, and I'm an electrician by trade for the BOE as well. Now I know why your name is "junkman". Scrap metal baby!

I also work for a school, and when we started doing these drills 3 years ago I.also had to check the halls. Once we got our new police chief I no longer have to do that. It is not state policy just the school districts. Nice to be held to a.different standard isn't ray?

I also work for a school, and when we started doing these drills 3 years ago I.also had to check the halls. Once we got our new police chief I no longer have to do that. It is not state policy just the school districts. Nice to be held to a.different standard isn't ray?

Next drill I'll have my double defense with the 15 round sling, 5 round stock, and 5 round rail mount.

They do but not always. Last month we had a lock-down drill that included the police, to test both the school and police response time. In the event of a "real" lock-down, the cops do the walk through, and school personnel are to lock themselves in any room. I asked my supervisor what to do if it was a real situation... he said if you can get out of the building why would u hang around?..this is coming from a former superintendent.