• No
  2. 2. What branch?

• Air Force
    • Army
    • Coast Guard
    • Marine Corps
    • Navy
    • N/A

How about a different kind of Arms Race here for fun. Maybe someone (not me, comp dumb) can post up one of those polls and list all the armed forces-USMC, Army, Navy, Air Force, Nat Grd,Coast Grd, Other(?) to see where all our members served. Past, current, signed on the dotted line but not in yet(congats guys). Lets see which branch owned the most and maybe also give a quick tale of your best bootcamp experience, that is if some of you can remember that long ago!

Is this the actual thread we're using, or are you getting a feel for it?

I signed 4 years away to the Navy on October 13. I don't ship out until May 9, and....I...can't....freakin'....wait.

once you get past the square needle in the left nut on day 2 the rest is easy

First off I think everyone in bootcamp can remember the "peanut butter shot" and sleeping at attention :laugh:

I was in Navy and went to boot in the end of January. I will never forget to this day that on Feb 14 it was -19 outside and we got in trouble for talking after taps. Senior chief ordered the fire watch to open all the windows in the berthing as punishment. WOW that was FRIGGIN COLD! I never in my life thought you could feel the heat given off by a fluorescent light, but i was sure glad my bunk was right underneath one...

Is this the actual thread we're using, or are you getting a feel for it?

I signed 4 years away to the Navy on October 13. I don't ship out until May 9, and....I...can't....freakin'....wait.

Actually I was hoping some one would put up one of those graphic charts that you check-off to vote and it counts the votes as they come in.

23 april 1993 was my enlistment date. I shipped out 5 june 1993. Basic was at Ft Jackson, Columbia SC. Left reception batallion and got bused over to our company. I remember it being bravo company. It was late at night and remember screaming.

Next day, we were all in a hall sitting at desks. They instructed every knumb nut who didn't take full life insurance (200k for like $7 a month) to change their papers to full life. A noise in the back and some diesel black sgt (Sgt. Smith, ended up being my DS) starts yelling at this kid. Kid looks like the kid from Jerrry Mcguire but older looking. He is like 5'6" and doing pushup's. Next he starts crying. Sgt. Smith get's down and is slowly doing pushups to mirror this young man's pace. The Sgt yell's out "God damn boy, I beat the sh!t out of my 5 year old and he doesn't cry like this".

Next thing we hear is this kid say "i want my daddy". That second, you heard every man turn in their seats in disbelief. Like who says that? Really? The Co Cammander, he was a Capt. The name escapes me though. Walks over, boots making a ton of noise. You can see he is insulted. Tells the kid, he has heard a lot of stuff in his career; "the army is not for me", "I miss my home", "I miss my family", "I miss my wife or kids" but have never heard I WANT MY EFFIN DADDY. GET THE EFF UP AND GET THE EFF OUTA HERE!!!!!

That kid sat CQ duty for 6 weeks as punishment. He was never amongst us for fear that he would screw our heads up.

I could go on and on. I had so much fun in basic, with all the games and stuff I could pull off. Going to church to meet girl from Delta Co., Going to sick call on the weekend, that was at the hospital with a px, so I could buy walkmans (remember those) to sell for 100% profit. Doing people KP for money to meet girls..etc...The fighting with people who just wanted to kick a NY'ers a$$.

I grew up in Elizabeth and one of the reasons I joined the Army in 1967 was to go places. The Army, being what it is, sent me to Fort Dix for the first 5 months.

I never knew there was so much sand that wasn't on a beach until I walked all over Fort Dix in basic. The Drill Corporal we had told us during bayonet training that if the bayonet should stick in an enemy soldier we should fire a round (M14s at this time) to let the recoil help pull the bayonet out. He then asked if there were any questions. I asked "what am I using a bayonet for if I still have rounds in my rifle". Some guys in my platoon thought it funny but not the Corporal. I went on to redeem myself however by breaking 2 stocks during bayonet training and winning the company pugil stick competition.

3 schools and 8 months after basic I wound up in Vietnam. On my return, I spent 6 months at Fort Jackson and got to go to Germany for the last 8 months. I eventually wound up in the National Guard and Reserves.

Fast forward to 1981 when I went to OCS. We had a woman TAC officer who was a PITA. No insult to women soldiers as I have met many women I rather go into combat with than some men. This was after we were there for a while and most of the TACs were familiar with our backgrounds. There was one other Vietnam Vet in my class who also happened to be a LEO as I was. The woman TAC comes up to me and wants my M16. The SOP said we were to surrender our weapon to a TAC on request. She takes my M16 and starts dancing around whining, "I got a rifle, I got a rifle". Another TAC comes over and says to me "well what are you going to do?". I say "ask for it back", I do so and she refuses to give it to me. The other TAC then says "well what are you going to do now?". "I guess I'll just have to take it back", I respond in serious tones and my war face on. The other TAC takes the rifle from her, hands it back to me and tells me to get out of here.

I did some interesting things in the National Guard and Reserves and got to go to some more places. No regrets although I would have made a few diffrent choices knowing what I know now. 42 years and a few months after I went in I retired as a LTC.

Bootcamp at Great Mistakes March 1980, never been so cold in my life. At the time they had San Diego and Orlando, no one told me I had a choice. Six years later back to civilian life. Always told my kids getting out was the biggest mistake I made, luckily I think they heard me as my middle son just re-enlisted for 4 more years.

Oh and the peanut butter shot, then having to go on a run after, yeah good times :).

VJF what rate did you sign up for?

I remember getting some shots in the arm. It was 4 shots. Your in a line and they use some sorta gun thing that shoots you in the shoulder.

The one that hurt the most was the silver bullet. Man, that hurt. I watched a guy get darted in front of me the day I got my woodland bdu's. Funny stuff hearing that guy howl.

The peanut butter shot? Is that the one that looks like cold white mollasses ( feels like it too) and gets shot in your right ass cheek? They made us sit on the floor and bounce for 30 mins to break it up in your muscles or it would solidify there the next day.

USA 2004-08. BCT at Ft. Jackson, AIT at Ft. Huachuca, AZ

Unit, location, and mission I won't disclose. Great memories though working in the IC in a joint-service atmosphere, and when I forget about all the BS that was involved, I miss it.

I signed up for Aviation Electronics. After basic, I'll be heading down to Pensacola for 4-6 months. From what I'm told, it's a relatively good rate. I'm quite excited regardless.

Great rate, used to be in Millington Tn. What do you want to work on helo's or fixed wing?

The peanut butter shot? Is that the one that looks like cold white mollasses ( feels like it too) and gets shot in your right a** cheek? They made us sit on the floor and bounce for 30 mins to break it up in your muscles or it would solidify there the next day.

yeah that's the penicillin shot that feels like you got a rock in your a** cheek :).

Great rate, used to be in Millington Tn. What do you want to work on helo's or fixed wing?

I haven't really decided yet. I went in wanting to join the Navy with an open mind about what I'd do, and then found a job that looked interesting to me. Aviation Electronics in and of itself seems incredibly interesting to me, so I really think I'll be happy with whichever I get.

This is fitting for my first post. US Army basic Fort Dixs, NJ 1973. Not being the fool, I signed up the day after after we ended Vietnam. AIT in Fort Monmouth, NJ. By the way, I did and still do live in NJ. So for my first year in the Army, I never left home. I was then sent to Fort Riley, KS. The "Big Red One" . On a another note, my son, is now serving with the big red one but stationed in Fort Knox, Ky and about to come back from his third tour in Afghanistan in three weeks. I spent the remainder of my time, guarding a beach in Panama. Got out in July 1976. I wished I stayed in for 20. Both my son are lifers, Ben is an E6 Army and Aaron is an E5 Navy. God bless my boys and all who are or about to and did serve.

Kurt

I signed up for Aviation Electronics. After basic, I'll be heading down to Pensacola for 4-6 months. From what I'm told, it's a relatively good rate. I'm quite excited regardless.

PNS is good, life time friend of my dad and our family fighter is on display on the base down there, still live in the area also.

Just make sure you go for the full A&P not just Avionics, if avionics is even a solo option in the first place.

This is fitting for my first post. US Army basic Fort Dixs, NJ 1973. Not being the fool, I signed up the day after after we ended Vietnam. AIT in Fort Monmouth, NJ. By the way, I did and still do live in NJ. So for my first year in the Army, I never left home. I was then sent to Fort Riley, KS. The "Big Red One" . On a another note, my son, is now serving with the big red one but stationed in Fort Knox, Ky and about to come back from his third tour in Afghanistan in three weeks. I spent the remainder of my time, guarding a beach in Panama. Got out in July 1976. I wished I stayed in for 20. Both my son are lifers, Ben is an E6 Army and Aaron is an E5 Navy. God bless my boys and all who are or about to and did serve.

Kurt

Hey Kurt welcome and thank you and your boys for us.

USMC 54/57.

Boot camp @ San Diego. They issued me a comb and cut off my hair. Issued a toothbrush and pulled two teeth.

Issued me a jock strap and it was then I seriously considered going over the hill...

Stationed in Japan and Okinawa. BAR man with 1st Battialian, 9th Marines. Loved that BAR.

Last duty was as a brig guard at San Diego Naval Base. First in line for that great Navy chow.

One of the smartest moves I ever made. Semper Fi

• Like 1

Just make sure you go for the full A&P not just Avionics, if avionics is even a solo option in the first place.

A&P is airframes and power plants, its pretty much for the mechanics. Avionics is separate and highly specified. You do get your FCC license though. I was an avionics nerd though.

I was ECM (radar jamming) on B-52s and A10s from 82-87, considered avionics. I did work in aviation electronics (radio, nav, radar, wiring & install of all that stuff) at Teterboro for 4 years or so till the big recession in 1991. Our company did the installs for all the stuff on the Maryland State police Aerospatiale (at the time) 365s, and the prototype USCG 365. Plus a number of MBB (at the time) BO105s for our friendly dictator in Iraq at that time, and BK117s & AS355 & 365 medevac. The whole general aviation biz went in the cr*pper in 91, and hasn't recovered much, at least from what I have seen in NJ. I have an FCC general radiotelephone license. Went back to school for EE at Rutgers after being unemployed for more than a year. Many fond memories of travels in europe, roasting & freezing on the flightlines, still in touch with two the people I spent the mid 80's with at RAF Woodbridge. That is probably the best thing about serving anywhere, is the lifelong friends--

jan - feb 1981 great lakes, wind chill -50, boys from the south would just pass out, luckly i grew up upstate ny. avaition structural mechanic (hydraulics) "A" school memphis tenn. cool base 6 or 7 bars and you could rent horses for a buck or two for all day long. Naval aircrewman canidate school pensicola fla. (the best beaches anywhere) lakehurst 81 - 85 flew up and down the beach in an H-1 huey on bikini patrol.