mcbethr

One permit left, $677 to spend - convince me

Ok, In the past 2 years I went from having no handguns to three.

I got a Beretta 92FS. Because I loved the way it looked and it also has a .22LR conversion kit.

I got an Auto Ordnance 1911 because I wanted a "World War II ish" .45.

I got a PX4 Compact because I love the way the gun looks, like the rotating barrel, and the price in the private transaction was right.

I agreed to let my wife get a new kitchen floor. She agreed to let me have any budgeted leftover money. This comes to $677 and as it just so happens, I have one permit that will expire soon.

Here's the problem: I think I'm good. I really don't want another gun. I don't see anything out there that really looks fantastic. I think all of the "basics" are met with what I have. I'm not interested in concealed carry, and if I ever were, the PX4 Compact would do that job just fine. I don't really own guns for home defense. It's a hobby for me, so I'm more interested in having fun at the indoor range in the winter. In the summer, I'm at Ft. Dix, busting clays.

I tend to buy handguns based on their uniqueness (PX4 Rotating Barrel) or their looks (The 92FS) or their history (the AO 1911A1).

I also don't particularly want to purchase another platform and have to worry about another set of magazines and ammunition (although there is one exception to this on my list).

I already have two shotguns for clays, and two .22 rifles for me and my son. I'm not that interested in another rifle.

So here is what I'm thinking:

I don't want waste the permit. So I've narrowed it down to this:

* .22 revolver. Maybe a 2" .22 like a Charter Pathfinder or S&W 317

* FN FiveSeven (I know its more than my budget, but I can throw in my own money)

* Taurus Judge (if you can fire .45 ACP with moon clips)

* Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/.38/.357 revolver

* Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45LC/.45ACP revolver

* Buy another 92FS

* Buy a bunch of accessories (a new light/laser for my Px4, more 10/22 magazines, .45 ACP mags)

* Anything else you guys suggest

-Or-

Donate $500 to NJ2AS, and use the rest to buy a bunch of .45ACP for myself.

I'm leaning toward the .22 snub nose revolver or maybe to the FiveSeven, just because I don't know anybody else who has one.

So if you had $677, what would you do in this situation?

As other posters suggest, I agree that you really are lacking a revolver in .357/.38. I'd look for an older Speed Six to fit that bill. But since you mentioned Charter Arms, and a revolver, and you already have the Beretta and PX4?, I would look at the Charter Arms 9mm revolver that is suppose to be released in February of this year that will not need moon clips(if your permit can go that long).

Alternatively, you cannot go wrong with a .22 revolver. Besides the Charter Arms Pathfinder (with the dual cylinders in .22LR and .22WMR), I would consider the Taurus 992 w/ the dual cylinders. Or, I would consider a Ruger SP101 8-shot and upgrade the grip for a little more purchase.

Since you primarily want something for fun at the range, I would even consider a Single Action Revolver Single Six OR Blackhawk in either .357/.38 or .45 ACP/.45 Colt. This would be a little outside of the norm. You might even be able to find the .357/.38 w/ the additional 9mm cylinder version.

Lastly, since you have a couple of .22s, you might want to try and locate an older Target Model Ruger Mark II in .22LR.

i vote five-seven. its got a ton of points in uniqueness and plenty in looks as well. no history but still fun stories go with it, like that the Brady Bunch "stated that commercially available 5.7×28mm SS192 ammunition penetrated a Level IIA Kevlar vest in testing." of course their method of testing was questioned and probably was a load of crap. but my point is theres plenty of controversy to take the place of history, still a good conversation piece lol. and as much as i assumed (and a lot of people agreed) that ammo, since its unique, is rare and expensive, ive seen it in almost every gun shop/range ive been to and its not much more expensive than .45acp. besides that i like stocking up from the internet anyway so i dont see rarity as a problem.

How about banking the money for a rainy day and letting the permit expire? There's no crime in doing either. It sounds like you have everything you want and no need for another hand-gun.

Ray, I want to see your Man Card !!!! I would have told him to check other options for different flooring to up the amount left over.. Dude do you have no shame??? :rofl:

I made my decision.

Seriously, this whole Muller case decision today really made me mad. I'm donating some of the money to NJ2AS it once my wife gets her new floor (as per our deal).

Frank, you have met me in real life. You can hold me to that.