usnmars

My best find EVER!

I picked this up the other day and figured I'd share some pics of a pure GEM. A 1953 National Match M1 that has only been factory test fired. It was created as a Type 1 NM rifle in 1953 which was the first year of production for NM rifles, and put in storage where it sat until it was updated to Type 2 configuration for the 1962 National Match shoot at Camp Perry. It was not fired there and was sold through the DCM in 1964. All small parts are NM stamped and even the screws look unturned. This thing is as mint as they come but really dusty and dirty. I am actually afraid to clean it, so it is going to sit the same way it has sat for the last 50yrs.

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

I wont say how much but I got it for but it was almost nothing in a private sale. It is so mint that a friend of mine that is an expert contacted the Springfield Armory museum about it. When I brought it over he said " I know you are twitching because I can see it, but what you dont know is that I'm twitching." Thats when I realized I had something. Here is one more pic that shows how mint it is. The gas cylinder has the original stamp on the bayo lug. These wipe off and are normally not seen.

DSC00999.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

Its all glass bedding. This baby isn't getting shot. Considering it is pretty much unfired, I am going to do all that I can to make sure it stays that way. I did talk with the founder of the GCA and he confirmed it is legit. YAY! :yahoo:

Time to watch that video on what makes a high security gun vault!

Congrats on the find. I'm glad it went into the hands of someone who understands what it is, and didnt just lay into it with solvent and run down to the range and blast a bunch of ammo through it!

Oh but trust me it is tempting to shoot it. The thing that really makes this gun a collectors piece is that John Garand assembled all of the 1953 NM rifles himself at Springfield Armory and did a 40 rd test fire. John Garand was the only person to fire this gun so that is really friggin cool in my book and I am going to do all that I can to make sure that Garand stays the only person to fire this gun.