vortex0178

How long are your handgun range sessions?

And typically, how much ammunition do you go through each session? I'm talking about shooting when standing/unsupported, since I suppose benchresting a handgun would be less taxing. Just want to get a feel for the average out there.

I'll start - 1.5 hrs, 180rds total. Any longer and my groups open up due to fatigue and lack of concentration. I mix in snap caps in each mag too, to help cure my flinch, so that slows my shooting down a bit as well.

Edited to add: Let's keep it to service calibers - 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP - to keep it in perspective, since we all know we blow through .22LR like candy, and alternatively, would cringe at shooting as many rounds of .500 S&W...

today the session was about 6hrs it was a steel match if you shoot real good it would have been 150 rounds but me it was close to 200 rounds . most of the time if i just shoot it is about 50 to 100 rounds i am good.i was shooting a 9mm today

Of actual shooting? Maybe 20 minutes, with 10 minutes spent reloading mags. I always start with my .22lr pistol and work my way up to my service calibers... and I usually only bring one caliber (9mm or .45ACP). Go in, bang-bang-bang, and then leave. It's nice that RTSP is nearby and I can go usually once a week. Sometimes twice.

I really don't like going for anything less than two hours to make it worth my while.

If I lived closer an hour might do. I like to take my time and not rush though.

Average is 1-2 hours an 100-300 rounds. It really depends on my specific goal for the trip. Working on pinpoint accuracy, accuracy under time, IDPA practice or just simple plinking. I generally throw dummy rounds in the magazines to look for flinch and to practice malfunction drills. I usually shoot 38, 40 and 45.

In reading these numbers this is why I never understood when people say: This gun is great, 100 rounds and no issues!

I go through 200 rounds in one visit to the range, under 2 hours. Seems like everyone else here does too. In my opinion

any decent gun should spit out 1000 rounds without problems with no major type of servicing or break in.

In reading these numbers this is why I never understood when people say: This gun is great, 100 rounds and no issues!

I go through 200 rounds in one visit to the range, under 2 hours. Seems like everyone else here does too. In my opinion

any decent gun should spit out 1000 rounds without problems with no major type of servicing or break in.

I agree. When I get a new gun with intentions to use it for IDPA, steel or any type of tactical or competitions, I want to put 500 rounds through it. This also helps me learn the gun and learn it's ammo likes/dislikes.

I try to only shoot 50-100rds in 1-2 calibers each time I shoot handgun, stretched out over 30-50 minutes. My usual approach is to slow down my ammo consumption & and get more practice on reloads by only loading 1-5 rounds per magazine and doing 1 or more slide lock reloads in each string.

I no longer find it necessary to plink or practice, as I'm involved in several disciplines (Shotgun, Black Powder, USPSA, IDPA, Static Steel) that hold competitions at least once or twice a month. So all I have to do at this point is attend those competitions. Some of them I wish I had the time to practice more, others I don't need to. Trouble is there's only so much time in a weekend and I have to pick and choose which one I'll attend as some run concurrently. So some are as little as 50 rounds in two hours (Shotgun) and some are a lot of standing around waiting to shoot for a minute or two in a 3 or 4 hour time span. Differs with each discipline.

Back "in the day" I could burn-up ammo with the best of them. Nowadays I just shoot the planned COF and call it a day. If I do get any practice in, it's usually a Match simulation, not just pumping lead without a reason. For Black Powder hand gun that's only 13 shots and you put the gun away. Concentration is key, and you'd better know what you're doing before you start or you've lost the Match before your first round hits the berm.

I used to go shoot paper at my club for practice, that got boring fast! I'm with Dave, I get all my shooting in during competitions now, plenty to chose from.

I do go to our outdoor range from time to time to shoot my steel though, that never gets old!

Not long enough.... always run out of ammo sooner then I want to :-( but usually bout 2 or more hours. I like to set up clays, cans. and paper targets spread around the bigger pits in OB.