destro23

First 4 guns/rifles if you were to start over?

If you were starting out just like i am.. and including "starter" guns... what would your first 4 be?

From all the reading/youtube watching i've been doing (and being that i popped my cherry with a glock so i'm leaning that way) so this is what i'm thinking for my first 3 purchases... how do these sound to you.

Ruger 10/22 (new takedown one?)

Glock 19 (9mm)

AR-"Type" rifle

then if i enjoy shooting as much as i think... i'm thinking SiG 226 MK25 Never shot one but felt great in my hand.

Realistically i'm prob going to go shooting once a month and sometimes once every 2 months as i have some busy seasons with my work. (Again this is assuming i don't catch the "bug" and go more often ;)

--Destro

If I had a do over knowing what I do now:

Sig Sauer 229R 9mm.

CZ 75B 9mm.

S&W 686 4 inch barrel.

Ruger mini 14 stainless .223

1: Mralin xt-22tr - Great plinker, Bolt action, high cap ,eats everything and very accurate.

2. S&W J-Frame. - Challenging to shoot and will make you really concentrate on getting shots where you need them to be. Also a great carry gun for when you get your non resident permit...which you'll want.

3: Winchester 12/1300 12ga - Pump, simple, smooth, super reliable. great for anything from clays to HD

4: AR/AK - Great for HD and just hella fun to shoot.

Im going to cheat a little.

Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel & mags.

Ar pattern rifle with 22 conversion bolt carrier group

Remington 870 field 12 ga.

Savage Model 10FP-LE2

If you were starting out just like i am.. and including "starter" guns... what would your first 4 be?

From all the reading/youtube watching i've been doing (and being that i popped my cherry with a glock so i'm leaning that way) so this is what i'm thinking for my first 3 purchases... how do these sound to you.

Ruger 10/22 (new takedown one?)

Glock 19 (9mm)

AR-"Type" rifle

I think those three are perfect. Since you said four, I would suggest that you add a shotgun, either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. I'll leave you to agonize over which one to choose.

If money were no object...

Springfield M1A-probably the Scout

Colt 1911

Webley Revolver

M1 Garand

But starting over realistically...

I'd keep my M&P .40

Ruger GP revolver

Smith 15-22 for some cheap and fun shooting

and a good shotgun, my 870 Wingmaster fits the bill

doesn't have to be four exactly... def could be more... but answers can be within "what should be a good base set of guns to have"

so far awesome answers guys!!!! keep em coming!

this is gonna help me set up my "Base" set of guns then hopefully if i still have the bug... expand from there.

ok off to research shotguns!!

For Versatility:

Glock 23 (w/ extra conversion barrels and AA conversion kit and plenty of magazines (.22LR, 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG))

AR-15 (w/ extra uppers and plenty of magazines (.22LR, 9mm, .223, 5.56, 7.62))

Mossberg 500/590 (w/ extra barrels (12 ga.))

Ruger 10/22 TD (.22LR)

Favorites:

CZ 75B Matte Stainless (9mm)

Marlin 39A (.22LR)

Colt Woodsman (.22LR)

Ruger SR1911 (.45 ACP)

-ar-15

-moss-500 or remington 870

-remington 700 or savage 10

*Henry .22 for plinking fun

Four Five choices that cover all of your shooting needs.

Let's see what we know or are going to assume:

1. You want 4 "starter" guns

2. You are in NJ

3. Assuming you are not hunting (I believe you need specialized firearms for hunting)

4. Assuming you are keep whatever you buy forever

5. Assuming you are a starter yourself (otherwise why ask)

I'd get guns in 4 different categories : revolver, rifle, pistol, shotgun.

I'd suggest all the guns you buy have nice triggers (this may cost a little more), but I've found those with bad triggers don't get shot much and tend to be a waste of money.

To cover all the categories:

Revolver - S&W 617 22LR (or a S&W 686 357 mag if you want something with some kick, can also shoot 38 special)

Rifle - AR in 5.56 NATO with a 22LR conversion

Pistol - SIG 226/229 in 9mm with a 22LR conversion (or a 1911 in 45 ACP with a 22LR conversion)

Shotgun - <sorry no suggestion, I'm not a shotgun shooter - likely someday>

My personal choices for my first 4 were (I'm not much for revolvers nor shotguns):

#1. 1st Rifle - Rockriver AR in 5.56 NATO with a CZ V22LR dedicated upper

#2. 2nd Rifle - WASR 10 AK in 7.62x39mm

#3. 1st Pistol - SIG Saur P220 in 45 ACP with a 22LR conversion

#4. 2nd Pistol - Colt Delta Elite 1911 in 10mm with a 40 S&W conversion

I use the 22LR conversions as trainers for my main HD guns, with the WASR and Colt for a little more fun/bang. The 40 S&W conversion is for those that want to try the Colt 1911 single action without the kick if a 10mm.

I suggest you buy ONE gun.. then go shoot it and see what you like and don't like about shooting... you could go buy 2 handguns.. a rifle.. and a shotgun.. only to find that you HATE pistol shooting and LOVE to shoot skeet.. now you have 3 totally useless guns.. OR you could buy an AK.. shotgun.. and 2 pistols.. and realize that bullseye rifle shooting is your thing..

you may be a precision shooter.. you may be a hunter.. or a fast action shooter.. a gun is like a tool in your tool box.... if you are going to tighten up the table leg do you grab a wrench? or a disk sander? the point is unless you know what you plan to do with these guns.. what aspects of shooting interest you.. you are simply throwing money into a hole..

"what guns should I buy"

is most simply answered by

"what do you plan to do with them"

I suggest you buy ONE gun.. then go shoot it and see what you like and don't like about shooting... you could go buy 2 handguns.. a rifle.. and a shotgun.. only to find that you HATE pistol shooting and LOVE to shoot skeet.. now you have 3 totally useless guns.. OR you could buy an AK.. shotgun.. and 2 pistols.. and realize that bullseye rifle shooting is your thing..

you may be a precision shooter.. you may be a hunter.. or a fast action shooter.. a gun is like a tool in your tool box.... if you are going to tighten up the table leg do you grab a wrench? or a disk sander? the point is unless you know what you plan to do with these guns.. what aspects of shooting interest you.. you are simply throwing money into a hole..

"what guns should I buy"

If you buy a handgun, you are going to have to wait at least a month, anyway. I suggest buying a used gun from a private sale for a first gun. You would only be out your permit (if you get a handgun), and if you get a decent deal, as you will most likely be able to get your money out of it and/or trade it off for something you like better at a later point and time if you find something better you like. Do your research and find out what they are going for before offering to buy one. Whatever you plan to buy, you should have a defensive handgun in a suitable caliber and something in a .22LR. So, go ahead and get those. I would even go so far as to say a handgun/revolver AND a rifle in .22LR. After, those 3, I would get some kind of shotgun, and most likely a 12 or 20 gauge pump (stick with the 12 as it is more versatile). Then you can expand on getting something that would fit a specific shooting sport that you may like. Buy used and then you can sell at about the same used price at a later point and time and you will not be out the NICS fee and tax.

If you know what you want and can only get it new and you have the money... go for it! Any of the ones that you have decided would be a good value, and you would most likely not lose money on a used one in good shape.

Get a set of tools that allow you to have the most versatility. THEN, get the guns you really want as you either upgrade and or expand.

"what guns should I buy"

100% agree... There is no way i'll go and order/buy 3-4 guns in one swoop! lol

Just an open ended question that if you were to start your collection (weather it take you 6 months or 1 gun a year to collect... what would be the 4 must have types... so far consensus seems to be a semi-handgun/ a semi-rifle (AR) / a .22 of some sort, and a general purpose shotgun.

Then as i slowly try out friends guns.. i'll take it from there... but step 1 is def a handgun for me... then i'll take my time and take it from there, because as you said, i may like one thing more then the other... i'm in no rush to get anything. Def sound advice for me and other newbie! Thanks!

100% agree... There is no way i'll go and order/buy 3-4 guns in one swoop! lol

Just an open ended question that if you were to start your collection (weather it take you 6 months or 1 gun a year to collect... what would be the 4 must have types... so far consensus seems to be a semi-handgun/ a semi-rifle (AR) / a .22 of some sort, and a general purpose shotgun.

Then as i slowly try out friends guns.. i'll take it from there... but step 1 is def a handgun for me... then i'll take my time and take it from there, because as you said, i may like one thing more then the other... i'm in no rush to get anything. Def sound advice for me and other newbie! Thanks!

that is because people are telling you what works for them.. I know guys who ONLY shoot skeet.. they hunt a little.. and own a million shotguns... they are just as much shooting enthusiasts as I am.. take someone like me.. I only own a half a dozen guns.. EVERY one is a military or law enforcement variant.. it is just what I like.. so what you need more than a gun recommendation is a shooting discipline recommendation.. have someone take you out to the range.. see what you like..

once you can say "I like fast handgun shooting" then we can say "buy a XXXXX"

to get a good recommendation on a tool.. you need to know the task.. and I do not necessarily agree with starting out with a 22.. some people like them.. I find them as boring as watching paint dry.. and that is where you get into needing to know the application..

to get a good recommendation on a tool.. you need to know the task.. and I do not necessarily agree with starting out with a 22.. some people like them.. I find them as boring as watching paint dry.. and that is where you get into needing to know the application..

I agree with the .22... i'm def in no rush to buy that... in my intro post i explain the first gun i shot was a glock 21 .45cal.. i had no idea it was the big boy! lol but the guy at the range said afterwords he started me off with that because everything else i shoot from then on should be easier lol ... i'm actually glad i started off with that.