Maksim

Are people really this stupid?

He knew, especially with the swastika over the i in Hitler...

The Swastika is an ancient Indian symbol and was around long before the Nazis stole it. It's very common to see swastikas on various Hindu temples, signs, flags, etc.

The Swastika is an ancient Indian symbol and was around long before the Nazis stole it. It's very common to see swastikas on various Hindu temples, signs, flags, etc.

Unless the name 'Hitler" was also an ancient Hindu name your argument is invalid. The correlation of the Name, and Symbol most recently occurred during a fairly notorious event..

one caveat.... he met with community leaders before he opened the store, they told him about the Holocaust, and he still did not?

I agree with one of the commentators on the site... better he learn from the mistake now.... then having the store go bankrupt from the outrage.

Not knowing who Hitler was is as stupid as thinking Slavery is still legal, women do not have a right to vote, or not knowing who Jesus is.

The 45th Infantry division had a Swastika as its symbol until Hitler came to power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

Do ya one better Maks, in Michigan there is a little deaf boy who can't go to school right now because they want him to change his name. Why do they want this? Because when he signs his name it looks like a weapon.

Because you know, crossing your index and middle finger and waving your hand a couple times TOTALLY looks like a weapon.

Do ya one better Maks, in Michigan there is a little deaf boy who can't go to school right now because they want him to change his name. Why do they want this? Because when he signs his name it looks like a weapon.

Because you know, crossing your index and middle finger and waving your hand a couple times TOTALLY looks like a weapon.

Really? News article for this anywhere?

Really? News article for this anywhere?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/29/nebraska-school-district-says-deaf-student-not-required-to-change-sign-language/

Only source I could find on such short notice. This hit a few days ago, I'm surprised more didn't know about it.

You have GOT to be kidding me with the sign language thing :(

I cyber walked off a dog forum that I was a mod on ( yes , dogs are another passion of mine) over a long time member who got a new German Shepherd and named it Himmler. A big 12 page debate ensued , with most of the people expressing disapproval of her name choice , but a small handful of 3 or 4 supporting her right to name her dog whatever she wanted. They were all in their 20s . Nobody was questioning her "right" , we were just airing our disapproval and disgust. That free country thing goes both ways. It ended up with a lot of "people are just too PC these days" . There is a difference from being "too PC" and speaking out against something that represents a travesty IMO.

She claimed to not know who Himmler was ( which , given this current generation of recent high school grads is totally possible..unfortunate ) ..said she saw it in a list of German names when she was looking for a dog name. Hmmm. Anyway , once it was ostensibly brought to her attention , instead of saying "gee I did not know that" she took the defensive . Which leads me to believe she knew..

Ended with the consensus being that yes , it is a free country and she can name her dog whatever she wants to. But she should expect a reaction of disgust from most people , so toughen up.Yes , people theses days can be overly PC but I think things giving props to the Holocaust are allowed to be offensive, and people should not be deemed overly PC because they express disgust over glorification of it in any form. Any decent person regardless of their ethnic background or faith should be disgusted by anything that puts a positive, lighthearted or "fun" spin on anything to do with that particular dark part of history.

It is so subjective too. I asked her what she would think of a pitbull club ( her favorite breed) called " Michael Vick Is Awesome" . She was not down with that , but a German breed dog named Himmler was a-ok in her book. Yeah , have fun at the dog park with that one .

Maybe it is just because I am old enough to have friends that had Grandparents with numbers tattooed on their arms who were sole survivors out of like 10 children..but anything glorifying Nazis sets me off . My grandfather who fought in WW II came home with a German issued Luger with insignia in it. I was suppose to inherit it , but didn't . I would have kept it in a display case as memorabilia and a token of our victory ..the enemies confiscated weapon. That is different.

However , anyone that would put the Holocaust and its evil participants in good light is just a$$hat.

Short answer is yes people are that stupid. In order to preserve free speech he can name it whatever he wants. Show your disapproval by not shopping there.

+1

I am in fact offended that people get offended over something like this...a name. Actually, I'm only being truthful in an ironic way.

http://www.foxnews.c...-sign-language/

Only source I could find on such short notice. This hit a few days ago, I'm surprised more didn't know about it.

I find this far more asinine. Using sign language is a violation of a 'weapons in school' policy? Seriously? Sounds like whoever is saying this wouldn't know what an actual weapon is until they get shot in the face with one. What is also ironic is that person(s) works in the education field. I don't want anyone that dumb near anyone. It reminds me of a Billy Madison quote.

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

The above Futurama meme is certainly applicable.

Of course people are that stupid. Every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year, more are becoming stupid. When you add in the folks who lack common sense, then you wind up with the world we have today. I've know folks who are qualified geniuses who didn't have a lick of common sense. I don't really know if this guy mentione in the original post knew of Hitler or not. It's hard to believe that he didn't, but who knows.

As far as the kid signing, I saw that on the news this morning. It's pretty disgusting if you asked me, that he's being asked to sign differently.

I must point out though, if he really didn't know who Hitler was, that does not make him stupid at all. It just makes him ignorant. There is a big difference.

On the other hand, thinking a kid using sign language is the same as having a weapon, or even similar, does in fact make one stupid.

Well in Texas they rewrite history books so that Christian evangelists and social conservatives who have grasped control of the state's education board can feel good about themselves. Yes people are stupid.

And everywhere else they rewrite history that Columbus was evil, etc etc etc...

The indian symbol is backwards. It is like a swastika in a mirror. Totally different meaning.

Ken

I used to travel to India for work often, and I remember trying to explain Hitler and the entire Second World War to a managerial colleague from over there. He was well educated and traveled, and he had never heard of Hitler. Then again, there is probably an overwhelming majority of Americans who have never heard of Pol Pot or Mao.

Veering off topic . . . (apologies)

Well in Texas they rewrite history books so that Christian evangelists and social conservatives who have grasped control of the state's education board can feel good about themselves. Yes people are stupid.

Yeah, I don't believe those Christian evangelists and social conservatives you find to be so stupid succeeded in adding Intelligent Design to the Texas curriculum: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/07/texas-school-board-sidesteps-int.html

In fact, while they controlled the board, they did not even shove it down anyone's throat. All they did was make discussion of it possible - GASP!! This would be in stark contrast to the diktat of Obamacare tactics. The Texas conservatives were not trying to eradicate the opposing view (unlike the aim of the Leftists on the board, and everywhere). They merely wanted to offer a competing theory. It is that sort of one-sidedness in the education system that enables people to grow up never having learned of Hitler.

The indian symbol is backwards. It is like a swastika in a mirror. Totally different meaning.

Ken

Indians have both a right hand and left hand swastika. The "All is well" symbol of Vishnu is the same as the Nazi Swastika. The Nazis shifted it 45 degrees instead of flat.

Yes, people really are just that stupid.

I'm all for freedom of speech. People forget it isn't freedom from consequences though. People need to stop trying to protect this idiot from himself and let him learn a lesson.

I used to travel to India for work often, and I remember trying to explain Hitler and the entire Second World War to a managerial colleague from over there. He was well educated and traveled, and he had never heard of Hitler. Then again, there is probably an overwhelming majority of Americans who have never heard of Pol Pot or Mao.

Veering off topic . . . (apologies)

Yeah, I don't believe those Christian evangelists and social conservatives you find to be so stupid succeeded in adding Intelligent Design to the Texas curriculum: http://news.sciencem...esteps-int.html

In fact, while they controlled the board, they did not even shove it down anyone's throat. All they did was make discussion of it possible - GASP!! This would be in stark contrast to the diktat of Obamacare tactics. The Texas conservatives were not trying to eradicate the opposing view (unlike the aim of the Leftists on the board, and everywhere). They merely wanted to offer a competing theory. It is that sort of one-sidedness in the education system that enables people to grow up never having learned of Hitler.

Nah instead they pushed to have Thomas Jefferson to be removed from our history text books...

To say they didn't push their agenda is way off... They tried to sneak it into the curriculum, and when they were flushed out for it, they didn't brink it up again... you can't possibly add something like that to a curriculum with out violating someones rights. how do you teach creation in the class room so as to make sure that you cover every single religions idea of creation? I wouldnt mind teaching kids the different types of religions and ideas of creation, but that's not what it was about, besides most people dont take into account , there are plenty of programs at your church temple and so fourth that have classes that teach all about it anyway. So it's not like they don't or cant get both sides of the argument. What i find highly one-sided is the fact that Texas, good or bad, get's to make these decisions while the rest of the country for the most part has to follow, all on some stupid technicality.

I took a look at the Icon, above the "I". It is a copy past of the Nazi symbol. Like someone said, they rotated it 45 degree's... he didn't come up with that on his own.

swastika2.png?w=450

"In recent years, board members have been locked in an ideological battle between a bloc of conservatives who question Darwin’s theory of evolution and believe the Founding Fathers were guided by Christian principles, and a handful of Democrats and moderate Republicans who have fought to preserve the teaching of Darwinism and the separation of church and state."

Take your choice or don't, it's up to the individual.

Darwinism, Creationism

There are too damn many extremist just itching to stir up controversy. Just wait for the DNC and you will see and hear a revision of fact and history like never before.

BTW - Go back to your high school years and re-read the Federalist Papers to gain a perspective on the mindset of the founding fathers.

Nah instead they pushed to have Thomas Jefferson to be removed from our history text books... To say they didn't push their agenda is way off... They tried to sneak it into the curriculum, and when they were flushed out for it, they didn't brink it up again... you can't possibly add something like that to a curriculum with out violating someones rights. how do you teach creation in the class room so as to make sure that you cover every single religions idea of creation? I wouldnt mind teaching kids the different types of religions and ideas of creation, but that's not what it was about, besides most people dont take into account , there are plenty of programs at your church temple and so fourth that have classes that teach all about it anyway. So it's not like they don't or cant get both sides of the argument. What i find highly one-sided is the fact that Texas, good or bad, get's to make these decisions while the rest of the country for the most part has to follow, all on some stupid technicality.

I don't know about sneaking it in. I remember following the whole thing on TV. It didn't look a back room operation (like Obamacare) to me.

Just remember both Intelligent Design (ID) and non ID are "theories". It takes just as much blind "faith" to believe in non ID concepts, such as evolution or the big bang, as it does to believe in Genesis. In effect both are mankind's attempt to explain the unknown and that makes non Intelligent Design theories just as dogmatic and therefore just as religious. Let them teach both, no harm in that.

Chances are he read the name Hitler in a book or heard it somewhere, he thought the name was famous, and it would draw (positive)attention to this store.

What other motive could he have? To attract Indian white supremacists? :facepalm: