Soju

Houston officer kills double amputee in wheelchair

http://news.yahoo.com/houston-officer-kills-double-amputee-wheelchair-222540280.html

A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.

Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.

She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer

I sure hope there is more to this story. Anybody who is incapable of figuring out a way to avoid a one armed, one legged man, in a wheelchair with a pen, is likely not capable of much of anything. I really hope it turns out the man shot was actually a Jedi and could move using only the power of his mind, and the pen was actually a light saber that wasn't powered up yet.

So two police officers couldnt handle a one armed man in a wheel chair?

how was he trying to stab him with a pen AND corner him in his wheel chair at the same time?

if he was in feet / inches of the man, he clearly should of seen it was a pen.

No Bueno.

I dont think any of you were there. I forgot how the media always got their the stories right. Its amazing how every gun article is wrong but every article about a police shooting is right. I forgot that you have taken so many training classes and that makes you an expert on shoot no shoot scenarios.

i'm sure the officer considered his options. on one side you have the mace and the taser.... perfect for any non amputee (unless its chuck norris, but lets face it chuck norris wouldn't be causing a problem like this). then he thought, better just shoot him instead. don't wanna see the poor guy twitching around on the floor it just wouldnt be right.

this post was PURELY meant to be a joke, humorous. also, i'm really tired so if this isn't funny or doesn't make sense to anyone i apologize. as blksheep said i wasn't there but i'm sure at the time the officer felt he needed to act swiftly and surely.

In these cases I like to spin the story by replacing "police" with "homeowner in their own home"... Mostly because it is the one situation where in most states you do not have a duty to retreat.

I then play a mental exercise on how the media would spin it and what would happen to that person. In this case, my logic would dictate the civilian would be going to prison for a long long time for using deadly force in a situation where their life was not in danger. Sure a homeowner does not need to retreat in their own home, but they still need a legitimate rational position that they truly felt their life was in danger or were about to incur serious bodily harm if they didn't use deadly force. One arm/one leg guy in a wheelchair with a pen.... the prosecutor would eat that person alive in court, and no doubt the jury would agree.

My knee jerk reaction is to say... in what world does a double amputee IN a wheelchair have the upper hand over a trained police officer. Maybe the officer was a afraid of getting beat up by a cripple, didn't want to take the chance.. :sarcastic:

Probably shouldn't kid about this stuff, either way good shot or bad this guy is gonna catch heat for the rest of his life i bet...