Underdog

Looking for a Dog

Looking for a family dog, probably between 25 and 60 pounds that is good with children and light shedding. Interested in a puppy or an adult dog that has been around children and does not have separation anxiety. Please provide any leads in northern NJ.

I rescued my pitbull from the Bronx and couldn't be happier. He was 5 months old then, and is now the household protector. Barely sheds anything as they have a very light coat. He's about 70 pounds but the size of a typical 50-60lb dog. He only barks under intrusion and is the friendliest dog I've ever met. I strongly suggest adopting a pitbull puppy. There is such an abundance of pitbulls, and nothing about their "evil" demeanor is true. I will forever own pitbulls.

This dog is particularly nice :

I know the manager there , let me know more detail about breed male/female and I'll check for you!

Sorry , edited to add proper link. Diesel is a pup for the most part..Victorian Bulldog. Healthier than regular bulldogs , wonderful with kids , great family dog. Probably a good 60 pounds.

There is such an abundance of pitbulls, and nothing about their "evil" demeanor is true.

As someone with a good deal of bully breed experience I would disagree with this statement. Adopting a pit is a gamble that should only be taken if you are sure the shelter or foster you are dealing with has a lot of experience with bully breed dogs and more importantly, assessing their temperment.

Don't read this as me blaming the dogs, I'm not, but many times pits, ABDs, and mastiffs that end up in shelters were either not raised correctly, abused, or used for illicit purposes such as guarding drug stashes. These dogs may appear to be fine but have a hidden behavior that hasn't surfaced yet, such as attacking people of a certain race, being aggressive towards children, severe food aggression, etc. I've seen multiple cases where a pit or pit mix was adopted out because everyone thought the dog was a sweetheart. A month later it was being put to sleep because it attacked the cleaning lady. Bottom line, if you don't know the dogs history you have to be cautious.

Also, with a family...why risk it? If you really want a pit go to a reputable breeder.

Something i learned after adopting last year. I wouldnt get a terrier again. Pretty high strung and like to bark. Luckily my guy is a mix fox terrier (we think with a Mini-Pinscher or Doberman) but when he goes into "terrier" mode, he is nuts. Has such a high prey and food drive. Sometimes he gets a little crazy when we take him places and will certainly attack other animals but likes people/kids/other dogs. He is just protective of the house and will bark like crazy when a visitor 1st gets there which for some people is a little scary (he wont bite, but he def trys to tell you to GTFO at least until i tell him to chill out a few times...)

He also constantly scans the backyard for "intruders" lol

If i could do it again, i would prob go with some type of retriever. There is a reason why Labs / Golden Ret are so popular as family dogs...

I have a boxer and actually volunteer for a boxer rescue. If you think there's a better family dog, you've never owned a boxer. They are loyal, GREAT with kids, goofy to play with, very protective of the family, just great dogs.

Hers my baby.

2011-09-21_18-14-02_580-1.jpg

Www.njboxerrescue.com

As someone with a good deal of bully breed experience I would disagree with this statement. Adopting a pit is a gamble that should only be taken if you are sure the shelter or foster you are dealing with has a lot of experience with bully breed dogs and more importantly, assessing their temperment.

Don't read this as me blaming the dogs, I'm not, but many times pits, ABDs, and mastiffs that end up in shelters were either not raised correctly, abused, or used for illicit purposes such as guarding drug stashes. These dogs may appear to be fine but have a hidden behavior that hasn't surfaced yet, such as attacking people of a certain race, being aggressive towards children, severe food aggression, etc. I've seen multiple cases where a pit or pit mix was adopted out because everyone thought the dog was a sweetheart. A month later it was being put to sleep because it attacked the cleaning lady. Bottom line, if you don't know the dogs history you have to be cautious.

Also, with a family...why risk it? If you really want a pit go to a reputable breeder.

I was speaking of pitbull puppies. Like I said, I adopted mine at 5 months. I am a firm believer in Ceaser Milans theory that dogs are rehabilitated and people are the ones that need training. I've fostered red zone pitbulls and turned them into sweethearts that I still see with their new owners. Bad owners make bad pets. Of course there are a few with their wires crossed but that isn't singled out to a couple breeds.

I know quite a bit about dogs. I like the pit bull breeds, but would not get one with my small children. Diesel is adorable, though, and bulldogs proper are supposedly very good with children. Most pitbulls probably are, too. I am not really looking for advice on getting a dog, but rather interested for possible available adoptable rescue dogs that forum members might know about, such as the Victorian Bulldog which Sandy brought to my attention.

In particular, I am not a dog snob and do not care if a dog is a pedigree. I would be perfectly fine with a "designer dog" such as a medium-sized labradoodle or goldendoodle because of the characteristics/temperament and low shedding. However, they are pricey and the acquisition of one would only further promote the misuse by a slew of irresponsible breeders ONLY trying to make a buck, and there are plenty of other needy pets.

If you are interested in Diesel , PM me and I will call the manager there. They temperament test their dogs , regardless of breed. This particular dog is good with everyone and everything he just got a raw deal because his owner let a girlfriend tell him it was her or the dog..not because of the dog , because she does not like dogs period.

I wouldn't trust my kids around a rescue dog. You have no idea how they where raised. After much research I got an English goldendoodle! F1b google the breed! He is amazing with the kids and has been perfect since we brought him home when he was 8 weeks old. The breeder is in Rochester however they will deliver. He doesn't shed. Is a perfect "watch" dog however not sure how much damage he will do! Cute as hell and at 50 pounds can take the hits bumps from the kids. Not exactly the imported German Shep I wanted but I don't regret it at all.

+1 on rescue. They NEED you. Also +1 on designer dogs being BS. It's not their fault, it's the breeders. Having dog breeders in today's world is like having NJ politicians making more gun laws... we don't need either.

Rescue dogs are statistically much safer than store bought dogs ( and healthier) . Why? Because normal family people are usually the people who go adopt.

It is JUST like the gun statistics. If you really delve into children that were killed by dogs , one glaring common denominator hops at you - poverty , crime , human stupidity. It is usually a kid that is like 3 years old that was left alone playing in the yard with 3 or 4 dogs while his so called parents were elsewhere. And yes , they are usually pit bulls or rottweilers. That is because those are the dogs of choice of drug dealers , gang bangers , and irresponsible young males in general will pick that breed because of the image ..on top of that they are also most likely to be owned in poor neighborhoods where people don't spay their animals and there are always new pups for the people in the neighborhood.

If for some reason Dalmatians became THE "tough" dog to own for these people , it would only take a few years before the majority of fatal dog maulings were committed by Dalmatians .

Yes , a handful of adult owners are killed by their pit bulls every year , the same way a handful of people go on mass shooting sprees every year. If the media focuses on it and hammers the headlines with it , they can make it appear epidemic when in fact it is a rarity compared to the number of responsible owners who go through life with zero incident ( in the case of guns AND pit bulls) . Throw out the stuff that happens in very bad neighborhoods , and stuff that happened because parents were not watching their children in such a way that most people would shudder and you will find mainstream incidents of pit bull maulings are quite infrequent. Huskies actually lead the pack on biting the children in the family if you take gangbanger culture ( real or wannabes ) out of the equation.

I have plenty of info to support all that , but I have to go to the airport to get my mother in law. Irishpete'smom. If anyone wants to see it , I'll try and compile it at some point this evening.

+1 on rescue. They NEED you. Also +1 on designer dogs being BS. It's not their fault, it's the breeders. Having dog breeders in today's world is like having NJ politicians making more gun laws... we don't need either.

+100

Go to a rescue. They need us.

He has kids. Rescue puppy yes, rescue dog no! He also has certain needs. My neighbor runs a rescue and maintains about 13 dogs at a time at her house. They refuse to let my kids near any of them. They also are bitten at least once a month. You just can't replace a bond between a puppy and a child. I support rescues and have adopted two dogs from NSAL over the years. One was fantastic and I had no kids. The other would growl at my then 1 year old and he was returned!