Wage

Advice/input on first handgun appreciated

I have started the process for getting my firearms i.d. card. I'm getting fingerprinted tomorrow and i'm hoping everything moves along quickly from there. I've narrowed my search down to a 9mm. It seems to be a good all around gun for home protection with affordable ammo for range use. I'm looking for something quality that isn't too picky with ammo or quirky to use. I plan on going to Heritage Guild in Easton to get a better feel/fit for the different brands. I also plan on checking in to some of the safety classes they offer while i'm there.

Are there any brands that I should absolutely avoid? I like the aesthetics of the Springfield XDM's. Price range would be up to $700 (not that i have to be at the max)

Thanks for any info.

Ryan

I have 2 xdm's that if we could work a schedule i would allow you to handle and shoot. I have the 5.25's.. DA/SA a beretta 92 would be great and in your price range or the lower priced taurus pt92 (same gun) taurus is a lot better than people give it credit for.. For polymer guns you are dead on with the xdm in my opinion the best feeling poly gun but would also recommend the beretta px4. really its all opinion based so i'm just gonna stop there but please don't make the mistake i made with my first gun. don't get a compact gun for your first gun lol. Also keep in mind magazine prices and availability, cause whats the fun of a gun if your not gonna eventually start playing the gun games.

You know, I used to be able to give advice on this subject, but not anymore. 10 years ago there were maybe 4 or 5 handguns that were reliable and functional enough to choose from, but now there are 20 or more. It is a hell of a problem to have, but a lot of it now boils down to personal preferences and ergonomics. The only advice I can give is to stay with major manufacturers (Glock, S&W, Springfield, Ruger, Sig, CZ, Beretta, H&K, FN) and handle as many guns as possible before you make your decision then pick the one that appeals to you most. Odds are they will all work just fine and odds are you will buy a second one anyway once you know more about what you personally prefer from a firearm.

Thanks guys, as I said this will be my first gun but I know it won't be my last gun. I've heard the G19 gen 4 is one of the best all around 9mm's out. It's a bit plain looking but functions as it should all the time every time.

Thanks guys, as I said this will be my first gun but I know it won't be my last gun. I've heard the G19 gen 4 is one of the best all around 9mm's out. It's a bit plain looking but functions as it should all the time every time.

Plain. That's the beauty of it. It grows on you.

Try before you buy - that's all I can say.

Many out there to choose from. Some may be out of your price range.

I was considering a G19 as my first handgun, then I went to a range meetup with some guys and tried out some guns - Tried Ray Ray's Beretta Px4 Storm and was hooked instantly.

Some pistols you may want to try:

Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA):

Beretta Px4 Storm (Fullsize or Compact) ***

Beretta 92/92A1/M9/M9A1/90-Two/etc. ***

CZ-75b or CZ-75 SP-01

Sig P226 (Fullsize) or P229 (Compact) ***

Browning High-Power

EAA Witness

Magnum Baby Eagle

FN FNP-9 or FNX-9

Striker Fired:

S&W M&P 9/9L/9 Pro ***

Springfield xD/xDm

Glock 17/19 ***

Ruger SR9

Walther PPQ

May be out of your price range:

Any H&K

1911 in 9mm

*** - these guns have 15 round mags available (without pinning)

You know, I used to be able to give advice on this subject, but not anymore. 10 years ago there were maybe 4 or 5 handguns that were reliable and functional enough to choose from, but now there are 20 or more. It is a hell of a problem to have, but a lot of it now boils down to personal preferences and ergonomics. The only advice I can give is to stay with major manufacturers (Glock, S&W, Springfield, Ruger, Sig, CZ, Beretta, H&K, FN) and handle as many guns as possible before you make your decision then pick the one that appeals to you most. Odds are they will all work just fine and odds are you will buy a second one anyway once you know more about what you personally prefer from a firearm.

+1

Go shoot as many as you can and see what feels right and shoots best for you. Easton is a good place to start, very good rental selection.

Try before you buy - that's all I can say.

Many out there to choose from. Some may be out of your price range.

I was considering a G19 as my first handgun, then I went to a range meetup with some guys and tried out some guns - Tried Ray Ray's Beretta Px4 Storm and was hooked instantly.

Some pistols you may want to try:

Beretta Px4 Storm (Fullsize or Compact) ***

Beretta 92/92A1/M9/M9A1/90-Two/etc. ***

CZ-75b or CZ-75 SP-01

Sig P226 (Fullsize) or P229 (Compact) ***

Browning High-Power

EAA Witness

Magnum Baby Eagle

FN FNP-9 or FNX-9

Striker Fired:

S&W M&P 9/9L/9 Pro ***

Springfield xD/xDm

Glock 17/19 ***

Ruger SR9

Walther PPQ

May be out of your price range:

Any H&K

1911 in 9mm

*** - these guns have 15 round mags available (without pinning)

Just wanted to clarify Krdshrk's post a little the glock 19 is the only one that has non pinned 15 rd mag not the 17. They way he put them togeather you might think it was both. To get 15 rd mags for the 17 you need to pin 17 rd. Its that or stick with the 10 rounders. You can find pinned 15 rd mags for a little more than the 17 rd cost stock i have seen them for around 32 dollars a mag. Just got a 17 so i have been looking into this :)

My personal fav after trying a few was the M&P. That was my 1st pistol. I REALLY love my P229 tho as I wanted to add an all-metal SA/DA to my collection.

I didnt care too much for glocks when i rented them, but that was 6 years ago now, so i really need to shoot one again!

If you want to shoot the 229 or M&P, you can come as a guest to Range 14... I also have an M&P Shield which you can try out if you want.. If you want to consider going with a .22LR for your 1st pistol, this time next month I will have a Ruger MarkIII in hand as well which you can also try. You can never go wrong w/ a .22 for your 1st gun esp if you plan on purchasing more in the future. Its certainly not a very good HD weapon, but its really good to practice and the ammo costs close to nothing!

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19, a Sig P226, a Beretta 92FS.

#1. They all have 15 rounds of capacity - the legal limit in NJ.

#2. They all have .22LR conversion kits so that you can shoot cheaper .22LR ammo

#3. They all shoot 9mm.

Now, that being said, are there some guns you should avoid? Absolutely. Any gun that holds more that 15 round in a "free" state like the Glock17, SR9, Springfield XD or Full-sized Beretta PX4 will come with 10 round magazines.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19, a Sig P226, a Beretta 92FS.

#1. They all have 15 rounds of capacity - the legal limit in NJ.

#2. They all have .22LR conversion kits so that you can shoot cheaper .22LR ammo

#3. They all shoot 9mm.

Now, that being said, are there some guns you should avoid? Absolutely. Any gun that holds more that 15 round in a "free" state like the Glock17, SR9, Springfield XD or Full-sized Beretta PX4 will come with 10 round magazines.

Beretta PX4 Compact is 15rd standard. Another excellent choice if you decide to go to a da/sa trigger over the stiker fired.

I wouldn't rely on an XD or XDm for home defense. After having the roll pin that holds the striker in place crack it is no longer viable as a SD/HD weapon. I have a Walther PPQ and haven't looked back. I don't own one, but the Smith&Wesson M&P9 is a great gun too.

Edit: If you go with a XD or XDm I recommend swapping out the striker retainer pin with something stronger; http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=4

I have started the process for getting my firearms i.d. card. I'm getting fingerprinted tomorrow and i'm hoping everything moves along quickly from there. I've narrowed my search down to a 9mm. It seems to be a good all around gun for home protection with affordable ammo for range use. I'm looking for something quality that isn't too picky with ammo or quirky to use. I plan on going to Heritage Guild in Easton to get a better feel/fit for the different brands. I also plan on checking in to some of the safety classes they offer while i'm there.

Are there any brands that I should absolutely avoid? I like the aesthetics of the Springfield XDM's. Price range would be up to $700 (not that i have to be at the max)

Thanks for any info.

Ryan

Hello and Welcome from Flemington,

Any of the choices outlined above are good 9 mm handguns. I frequent the Heritage Guild in Branchburg and Easton.

At Easton you can handle all handguns you want without FID.

Same for Lou s gun shop in Raritan. Most brands nowadays are quality and you can see which one fits your hand best.

Easton rentals for the guns and ammo can get pretty expensive fast.

Try to go to a meetup of NJGF members (see events and Meetups section).

PM me if you want to try a few 9s i have in Easton (glock 19, glock 26, Zastava EZ-9).

Thanks again for all the responses/helpful information. I will head up to Easton on Monday to get some "hands on" time with all the 9mm's I can. I just got word today that my friends received there reference paperwork. I also get fingerprinted today so i'm hoping it won't be much longer.

Sorry, have to add my Ruger P95. Blocky but built like a tank. I tried the beloved Px4 and hated the weight and feel. Also $350.00

Best of the bunch, IMHO, though is the Beretta 92. Heavy gun, DA/SA. very fun and easy gun to shoot.

"Try before you buy" is great advice; here's some more specific aspects to look at when you're trying different handguns out:

- When you're holding the gun at the range, put it in "low ready" (gun pointed at roughly 45 degree angle to the ground), then bring it up quickly to be on target. Pay specific attention as to how aligned the front and rear sights are *BEFORE* you move your hand to adjust them. Did the sights come up close to aligned, or far off? If you have to reposition your hand to align the sights, does the position your hand ends up in feel comfortable or awkward? Does it require muscle tension/strain to keep the sights aligned?

- Fire 4 or 5 shots to get a rough feel for the trigger, then get the handgun on target and focus on taking all the slack out of the trigger and holding it at just before the break point where it would fire. Fire it then repeat the trigger take-up/hold several times. Do you like the way the trigger pulls, and then breaks? Does the way the trigger resets make you confident in your ability to quickly get the trigger back to the "hold" point after firing it? Does the handgun fire exactly when you expect it to, every time?

Also strongly recommend reading the following article by Massad Ayoob and especially pay attention to the sections on proper grip and evaluate how each handgun feels in your hand, how closely you can get to the "ideal" grip described in the article and how the above two exercises (sight alignment, trigger feel) work when you implement that grip on the handgun:

"How to shoot a handgun accurately", by Massad Ayoob:

http://www.backwoods...s2/ayoob85.html

Well I made it out to Easton yesterday and was able to hold a bunch of guns. The four that I liked the best were the Glocks (17 and 19) The FNH FNX, the Walther PPQ and the Springfield XDM. I am going to take the 8 hour beginner pistol class, it should give me some great knowledge and a chance to shoot 3 of the 4 above guns. The FNX is not in the rental program. The full sized frames feel much more balanced in my hand.

I would suggest a 4" 357 S&W L frame, GP100, or a Taurus (if the price is significantly less than the first two and price is an issue). Contrary to what others will tell you, you don't need to go out and get an action job immediately. Many do this and use it not as an edge but as a crutch. A 4" 357 is a do it all handgun or at least as close as you can get to one. Learn to use a DA revolver well and everything else is easy.

AFAIK a G19 is the best do it all 9mm.

Thanks for any info.

Ryan

Here is a handgun evaluation checklist for your comparison testing...

Key Performance Factors.pdf

I would suggest a 4" 357 S&W L frame, GP100, or a Taurus (if the price is significantly less than the first two and price is an issue). Contrary to what others will tell you, you don't need to go out and get an action job immediately. Many do this and use it not as an edge but as a crutch. A 4" 357 is a do it all handgun or at least as close as you can get to one. Learn to use a DA revolver well and everything else is easy.

AFAIK a G19 is the best do it all 9mm.

took the words right out off my keyboard, thanks GRIZ

I'm looking in to either the NRA First Steps Pistol or the NRA Basic Pistol classes. The first one is 4 hours the second is 8. Is the 8 hour really necessary? I'm looking to have a bit more knowledge and feel a bit more comfortable with handling a gun before I purchase.