jamesbod

Thinking about a Glock. Who never owned one?

I'm thinking about buying my 1st Glock.

For those who never owned one, can you please explain why you chose other pistols over Glock?

Are you on the fence or are you never going to get one?

Just wondering how folks feel about the quality, image of the brand, & so forth.

Personally, I always wanted something unique because you see LEs walking around all the time with Glocks.

Thanks

They work when you need em...are not adorned with useless frame decorations/indicators/levers (all of which are useless in a shooting scenario)...light,strong,relatively inexpensive,easy to work on and back to #1..go boom when needed..thats why almost 70% of LE use em...IMHO cant go wrong with them..

I have never owned one.

The grip feels like holding onto a 2x4, the trigger is as mushy as bowl of mashed potatoes, and the company's representatives whom I have dealt with are dickheads.

Please disregard Jon's opinion and comments as he is a known HATER. And... has anatomiclly incorrect hands.

OP - Just go to the market and see what's selling and popular. My guess the the most popular pistols are S&W M&P's and GLOCKS.

Shoot both if you narrow it down to these two and make your choice.

I own several because i m lazy and cheap. Cleans super easy and not many parts. No Safety levers, very simplistic. I ve never had it jam other than wrong spec ammo. Goes bang every time.

Also i have a large hands so the 2x4 thing doesnt bother me. It does feel like a brick though.

Also i like the caliber conversions you can do with it, get a .40cal and convert it to 9mm and 357sig with conversion barrels and mag change and for 500$ plus the cost of conv barrels and mags you shoot 3 calibers.

I'm thinking about buying my 1st Glock.

For those who never owned one, can you please explain why you chose other pistols over Glock?

Are you on the fence or are you never going to get one?

Just wondering how folks feel about the quality, image of the brand, & so forth.

Personally, I always wanted something unique because you see LEs walking around all the time with Glocks.

Thanks

If you want something unique, build a 1911 to your likes. Up until a couple weeks ago, I never owned a Glock. I bought a Gen 4. Is the trigger mushy? Yes, but can be made to feel better. I've already done all the simple fixes for a better trigger. Parts availability is ridiculous. Glock parts are a dime a dozen. I didn't like the grips until they added the finger grooves in the Gen 3's. The Gen 4's have a bigger, ambi mag release. The ease of tearing down and assembling, to me, is very simple. These are all the reasons that I considered when I bought my first Glock. I know it's the opposite response that you were looking for, but it's coming from a first time glock buyer.

Having to carry one everyday you appreciate how light and sleek they are. I have seen GLOCKs have A LOT less down time then say HK, Sig or S&W. They can be fixed without tools and they are an easier platform to instruct on. Simple point and shoot.

Having to carry one everyday you appreciate how light and sleek they are. I have seen GLOCKs have A LOT less down time then say HK, Sig or S&W. They can be fixed without tools and they are an easier platform to instruct on. Simple point and shoot.

You make an incredibly important point! Less training time and only one rule to remember...."Don't touch the trigger and it will not discharge"

Shot one once,.40 cal version, whatever model that is. Have sine then bought 12 or 14 handguns, no Glocks, and no plastic guns. I like something with weight to it, just my preference. Have no intention of ever buying a Glock or any other plastic gun in the future either. I prefer revolvers anyway. :)

Shot one once,.40 cal version, whatever model that is. Have sine then bought 12 or 14 handguns, no Glocks, and no plastic guns. I like something with weight to it, just my preference. Have no intention of ever buying a Glock or any other plastic gun in the future either. I prefer revolvers anyway. :)

Really all guns are are personal preference. Try some out and then you'll know.

Nothing wrong with them other than they are "Me Too" guns... Hence my love of almost anything other than a Glock... ;) Especially love my H&Ks....

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

There isn't really a better value out there than a Glock, and few things come close in a number of one or more key characteristics or categories, and certainly nothing else beats a Glock when you look at the whole package and the price point value. That said, there are a number of handguns that I enjoy shooting more, but if I put them up against each other and my Glock and had to keep just one, the Glock would be the one that would stay.

Glocks are light and yet still have relatively low recoil. They would be good for a full day of shooting or for concealed carry due to their lighter weight. Glock slides and polymer frames are tough. They have anti-corrosive properties and extreme durability. Glocks are produced at a lower cost than many other guns and need little or no maintenance to continue going. They can be run almost completely dry and they still go bang every time. But, when they do, Glocks are simple to work on and owner could possibly do a fair share of his or her own gunsmithing. And, Glocks have only 35 parts (less parts to break) and which increases chance of reliability due to mechanical integrity and simplicity.

The slide is much heavier than the frame which, along with the resistance of the return spring, and the recoil suppression of the polymer frame, significantly reduces felt recoil and decreases vibrations. This cannot be overstated... Glocks are durable and have a proven record of use that is more than just about any other pistol, except for perhaps maybe a Beretta 92.

Additionally the barrel bore, which isn't designed for lead bullets, is designed in such a way to reduce wear and aid in higher muzzle velocity and energy. As far as maintenance is concerned, Glocks are easy to clean and maintain. Breaking down is simple and quick and a Glock can be field stripped and cleaned very quickly. There are just about more aftermarket parts for it than any other gun, except maybe for the 1911. The tenifer surface finish is excellent in protecting the Glock against rust and wear as well, especially for someone carrying it every day or in harsh environments. Glocks work well across a large temperature spectrum.

Another key is the ease of use of a Glock. Everyone has an opinion on which semi-automatic gun action he or she likes best from double action only, DA/SA, to the "safe action" of the Glock. Glock's are simple and with their safe-action system, they will not fire (if maintained) unless the trigger has been pulled. They don't have hammers, decockers, safeties, etc. to distract the user and complicate the use. Glocks have the same trigger to get used to on every shot and they have a relatively quick and effective reset for quick follow-up shots which aids in the owner/user becoming proficient.

Glocks also have durable magazines that are comfortable reloading, have less chance of being damaged if dropped (like steel ones becoming dented or rusty), and the mags don't have sharp edges and they are quite dependable magazines (which is very important in the reliability of a semi-automatic). They are plentiful and relatively cheap to produce, and in cold weather it would also be more pleasant handling the polymer mags than metal ones.

Glock's come in a variety of sizes and calibers, all of which work the same way. There are many interchangeable parts, and smaller Glocks of the same caliber can use the larger magazines of their big siblings. And, again, there are more parts, more people to work on the Glock and more accessories.

Are stock Glock's perfect? NO, in particular, I don't like the polymer sights. Even with the GEN4s, the Glocks still don't have enough grip size variation and/or ergonomics to fit some hands. For most people, Glock's feel blocky in the hand, however, the GEN4s do have some ergonomic improvements. Glock's have a lower bore axis which aids in recoil management and consequently quicker follow-up shots. And, although Glock's have a different grip angle than say 1911s, they still work well and just about anyone can quickly learn to shoot a Glock quickly. Additionally, I am not crazy about the trigger. That little safety thing on it sort of rubs my index finger the wrong way and some may not be fond of the finger grip placement on the grip. But this is all minor. The fact is that Glock's work and they work well, and again, NOTHING else comes close in most of these areas and at the price point that Glock's can be had at.

Lastly, if you shop around you can get a used Glock for about $400s (they are so plentiful from being so popular that they have a relatively large used market to draw from) and that is an incredible value you are getting.

Are they the most fun guns and the most comfortable guns to shoot? Probably not. Can some people shoot other guns, better? Sure. But, most people can shoot Glocks well and they can be beneficial in terms of being a home defense, SHTF gun, there is currently nothing on the Market which beats them. You know what they say about cost... two Glock's in the safe are better than one SIG or custom 1911 at the gun shop with your drool spittle at the gun shop. They are popular for a reason and that popularity in itself keeps them running like clockwork and with all the parts, accessories, night sights, holsters, etc. to make them the ultimate minimalist and survival and defensive handgun.

Would it be nice for Glock to have better sights? Would it be nice to have a single-stack Glock? Would it be nice to have even more options in grip size, grip angle, etc.? Would it be nice for some owners to have an additional external safety? Probably, but the Glock can hold its own.

There are other fine handguns that will work and work well. In particular I like CZs and S&W M&Ps, but there are others as well XDs (I don't like the grip safety and don't like it on 1911s, either), Rugers, Walthers... But, even though I prefer shooting a S&W M&P 9 FS with a trigger upgrade, and setup with the smallest grip size, or a CZ 75 Single-Action, or possibly a Walther P99/PPQ, I can still hold my own with and would not get rid of my Glock 19.

And for all of you Glock haters that have read this far. This is not Glock Koolaid, but an objective analysis.

Started many years ago as a wheel gunner. You could not get me to put it down for anything. Along came USPSA and next thing you know I was a 1911 Fanboy. Loved it, still do. Son came home with a Glock, I said yea, yea no big deal. Then I shot it. Very Very nice. He had invested in several top notch aftermarket changes that changed its feel tremendously. I have to say my next purchase will be either a Glock 22 or 23 (40 caliber), with an after market 9MM barrel and a Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kit. I reload, so cheap 9MM, 40MM and 22LRs, all on the same platform, my kind of gun. I did the same with the 1911, 9MM, 45ACP and 22LR for the same reasons, but required different frames because they are not interchangable. The aftermarket Glock parts allow you to customize it just to way you like it. Trigger is different, but easy to get used to. I will never give up my 1911's or wheel guns, but the Glock is certainly on my wish list.

I once was told that a Glock is the BIC pens of the pistol world,cheap, efficient and capable but with little presence or soul......not a fan of BICs.

Glock trigger is different - it's something that if you are used to a regular trigger, you might not like, or, you might like better.

The trigger is very predictable and you can get very accurate with it, if you open your mind a bit and figure out mentally how it works with you.

This is a good tutorial on the virtues of the Glock:

As I said, not a fan, but Patriot Oak said it best and I feel that was a worthy perspective. Very good PO... You almost made me want to buy one. Lol.

Very well said IMHO....

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have been carrying a nice .45 1911 for the past 6 years. Lately, I became interested in trying a couple plastic handguns to see if they measured up to their hype. I decided to get my first Glock19 Gen4 9mm earlier this year and have just recently added a G21 Gen4 45acp.

I have been putting them through their paces and both have been flawless. I have come to like the Glocks so much that they will soon relegate my 1911 to the safe. No bells and whistles but they point great, are light in weight, high capacity, have no safeties to worry about, and require no embellishments.

My point being: for a pure fighting handgun, Glock is an excellent choice, and it is as good, or better than, other handguns, even ones that cost a lot more.

Glock 17 was the first gun I ever rented, first polymer I ever shot. My previous experience was with the M9 and whatever revolver (S&W K-38 Combat Masterpiece?) SAC used in the 80's. Both those guns I shot very well, but I didn't do well with the Glock. I wasn't happy with the grip angle and it felt "top-heavy". Eventually bought a Springfield XD (Glock-ish) and had the same issues. Not sure what it is with plastic, but it didn't agree with me. Sold the XD.

It's the only handgun you'll ever own where if you dropped it on the concrete floor of the stankiest gun range it wouldn't bother you much.

But they do work very well. I like them for their simplicity (stupid-simple to field strip completely, tune, upgrade) and there's tons of aftermarket parts. I find that they are often more accurate than they should be.

I was dead set against owning one. I'm a bit of an elitist and WAYYYYYYYYY too many people have them and sing their praises. I also enjoy the feel of a steel pistol in hand.

Then I shot my buddy's XD. Light, efficient, and accurate. A little too mall ninja with the serrations and such but a great gun. It started me thinking. Then, another night at the range, I shot another guy's Glock. 5 rounds in under an inch and a half at 10 yards. 2 rounds one on top of the other. Simple, effective and no silly safeties (I like 1911's a lot but I take them for what they are.) like the XD. The bigger grip means that I hold the gun differently but the hold is wicked accurate.

I want one.

C