Midwest

If NJ changed it's gun laws overnight to those of PA's, would you still plan to move?

If NJ gun laws changed overnight to those like PA, would you still move out of NJ and when?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If NJ guns laws changed overnight to those like PA, would you still move out of NJ and when?

• No, I would stay in NJ and never move.
    • Yes, but I would move within one year.
    • Yes, but I would move within five years.
    • Yes, but I would move in ten years.
    • Yes, but I would move in fifteen years
    • Yes, but I would move in twenty years.
  2. 2. Would you move back to NJ if the gun laws changed to PA's gun laws?

Yes and no. An immediate move would provide a nicer environment and nicer people. NJ is full of opinionated dbags, like myself. I've been wanting to move to PA for some time now, for more than just the gun laws. NJ used to be NYC's suburbia. Now its becoming another borough.

No, because I think that with better gun laws for us, the crime would drop, people may relax a bit, and everyone just MIGHT be a little happier.

Yes, property taxes in this state are killing me.

Think about what drives property taxes. Schools and pretty much the quality of life in the area. If the quality of life and schools were better across the board in NJ (hopefully due to less crime because of CCW) then would you think that taxes would drop?

I love shooting and I love guns. But they are not enough reason for me to go to one state or move to another. Well, perhaps if they were outright banned

in a particular state than I would probably not move there. But stricter or less strict gun laws are not enough reason to dictate whether or not I live in a

particular area.

To be honest what is more important to me is gun activity/community and range accessibility. As a recreational shooter I like a number of areas available to

me where I can actually use my firearms and I like a lot of events, matches, people I can shoot with.

That being said, I would fully welcome PA's liberal gun policy in NJ!

Think about what drives property taxes. Schools and pretty much the quality of life in the area. If the quality of life and schools were better across the board in NJ (hopefully due to less crime because of CCW) then would you think that taxes would drop?

I've thought about the entire situation. I don't understand how other states can provide nearly the same services at similar quality for half the cost. Certainly it can't all relate to the quantity of crime in a state.

Frankly I think it's directly proportional to the amount of corruption in a particular state.

I've thought about the entire situation. I don't understand how other states can provide nearly the same services at similar quality for half the cost. Certainly it can't all relate to the quantity of crime in a state.

Frankly I think it's directly proportional to the amount of corruption in a particular state.

+1000

I've thought about the entire situation.  I don't understand how other states can provide nearly the same services at similar quality for half the cost.  Certainly it can't all relate to the quantity of crime in a state.Frankly I think it's directly proportional to the amount of corruption in a particular state.
You're absolutely right. For whatever reason I just feel as though all those things would fix themselves in time as the population became more regularly armed. Corruption is only as strong as the people who allow it.

You're absolutely right. For whatever reason I just feel as though all those things would fix themselves in time as the population became more regularly armed. Corruption is only as strong as the people who allow it.

NJ will always be corrupt. Sorry for my Debbie Downer attitude but this is my belief. I have no more faith in the people of NJ. The state has become a pool of individuals with their hands out waiting for the government to come and help regardless of the severity of the situation.

There are pockets here and there of people helping each other but the rule of the day is "be rude and F you".

Welcome to New Jersey. Now GO HOME! (I used to see T-shirts like this).

Moving is difficult to do with family members being locked in careers and building pensions in the area.

NJ would actually be a really cool state to live in if they got rid of the requirement to show "need" to get a carry permit in this state. Otherwise, the form for a carry permit is not too bad, and once you have a carry permit, the nonsense about having to go direct to and from the range with handguns is no longer an issue. All that would remain would be the stupid "assault weapon" ban law that is easily worked around by deleting bayonet mounts and flash suppressors.

So this state would be just fine two years from now assuming the Supreme Court does its part to get rid of the discretionary standard for carry permits. This could not be a hypothetical but instead a discussion about how things will be two years from now.

Setting aside the cost to live here, this is a really neat state - Exhibits A through Z in support of the proposition can be found in any issue of "Weird New Jersey" magazine.

What would be really awesome is if someone could get a rifle range or club set up in the Meadowlands. There is plenty of room. If NJ and NY gun laws were liberalized, there would be a lot of potential members in NYC and the NYC suburbs. All that would remain is the political will to get the permit to open it.

If you got the police behind it (so that, for instance, they can practice and qualify with their ARs at the range), then it is doable. Does anyone know if the NJSP or municipal police need to qualify with a rifle, or do they just qualify with handguns? If a rifle qualification became mandatory, it is funny but it might actually increase the possibility of getting a range in the Meadowlands. I know that some municipal NJ police do their rifle qualification at Easton Fish and Game but I don't know if that is a municipal requirement or a state requirement.

Gun laws wouldn't move, what would I don't like about NJ is the price, some of the 'culture' and how my area is getting run down the past 10-15 years or so.

I love Jersey (kind of) but the prices for homes are abseloutely absurd. There is no reason why a home+Taxes should be significantly more expensive here. I wouldn't mind moving to Mt. Bethel or the area, just because it is the closest to my area without the negative aspects. Plus, people are friendlier.

Only negative thing about PA is the lack of jobs, so Id have to commute here.

I would stick to my plan weather the gun laws are changed or not. I am stayin in nj untill I retire then i will get the hell out to my vacation property up north that i have been slowley building into my home to retire in over the years which shall include an outdoor shooting range and has to have a trout stream or river running through it in a state that i can CCW in and has a less than 5 hour drive to the beach. But still close enough to jersey so i can come and visit kids and or friends or they can come and visit me.

I plan on moving and never coming back.

What we should do is split NJ in half and dissolve it, South Jersey become part of PA, and North Jersey becomes part of NY.

Demand. That's what drives property taxes. You want to live within a stone's throw of NYC? You gotta pay.

If you think lower crime rate is going to lower taxes, then I want some of what you're smoking.

Hell, if crime dropped, and NJ became a better place to live, taxes would only go up.

Besides, do you really believe they would ever Lower taxes???

I plan on moving and never coming back.

What we should do is split NJ in half and dissolve it, South Jersey become part of PA, and North Jersey becomes part of NY.

Great idea. I think 195 should be the cut off. Let's start the paperwork now and south jersey will give you toms river since it's not really south jersey

I won't be moving because of Gun Laws, I will be moving because I want to move. 3 years 3.5 months before I retire and I'll be splitting my living between 2 homes, 1 in Scottsdale and 1 someplace in Florida.

music to my ears!! my bro is moving to Scottsdale in 3yrs, hopefully, I will join him! (i luv FL too!)

Moving is in the plans, but it isn't because of NJ gun laws. Coming up on retiirement in a few (5) years and both kids will be out of college by then and house paid off. No need to stay in Jersey after that since 1) the property taxes are ridiculous 2) state taxes will only go up with the debt load NJ carries, and 3) retirement income is taxed. I figure I get a quick $30,000 bump in my annual retirement cashflow by leaving.

I moved to PA about a year ago...

Gun laws are more free..

income is about the same...

taxes are less...

property (owning OR renting) is cheaper...

people in many instances are more laid back and nicer..

crime is almost nonexistent

the only regret I have about leaving NJ is waiting so long... I miss some of the cool people I met.. but honestly.. there is NO comparison for me..

i'm moving within (hopefully) 5 years. likely to delaware but who knows, i have family in wyoming and its great out there. gun laws are a big factor but the fact that i could NEVER afford a home in NJ is really whats driving it. i simply refuse to pay the property taxes when i can go right accross the river and pay 20% or less of what they are here.

i'm moving within (hopefully) 5 years. likely to delaware but who knows, i have family in wyoming and its great out there. gun laws are a big factor but the fact that i could NEVER afford a home in NJ is really whats driving it. i simply refuse to pay the property taxes when i can go right accross the river and pay 20% or less of what they are here.

We have nothing around us that make the taxes worth it. You have two WaWa's and are closer to Walmart. In Carneys Point we get dick. And our taxes are pretty close to Pennsville's now. Kinda makes you wonder where all the money goes since theres nothing to show for it.

If you got the police behind it (so that, for instance, they can practice and qualify with their ARs at the range), then it is doable. Does anyone know if the NJSP or municipal police need to qualify with a rifle, or do they just qualify with handguns? If a rifle qualification became mandatory, it is funny but it might actually increase the possibility of getting a range in the Meadowlands. I know that some municipal NJ police do their rifle qualification at Easton Fish and Game but I don't know if that is a municipal requirement or a state requirement.

Rifle quals are mandatory for all Officers/Toopers authorized to deploy a rifle. Additionally the rifle quals must be conducted 4 times a year (2 qualifications and 2 "familiarizations") vs twice a year for handguns.

That is the State's minimum qualifications standard set by the State DCJ and doesn't include the training requirements set forth by case law (Popow vs Margate) that must also be met by any approved firearms training program.

Oh, and I am not going anywhere anytime soon.