Dan

Next revolver ideas - thinking big

I'm looking to plan for my next HG. PP is in hand so I have a few months. I'm thinking 4" revolver, something big like .44mag/454 casull. This will be more for something fun to shoot, and just to have one as part of the collection. I really love the look of the .44mag S&W 329PD scandium frame revolver. The only thing is I would prefer this same style in regular steel , as I fear the lightweight aspects of this gun would make it uncomfortable to shoot. It is obviously built for carry rather then target shooting. I can't seem to find one in a similar style in steel.

Any ideas are appreciated!

I had a 629. Loved it... but I eventually sold it because I don't reload, and the ammo was so expensive. At the range it always made people look and see what I was shooting that was so loud LOL.

I'm looking to plan for my next HG. PP is in hand so I have a few months. I'm thinking 4" revolver, something big like .44mag/454 casull. This will be more for something fun to shoot, and just to have one as part of the collection. I really love the look of the .44mag S&W 329PD scandium frame revolver. The only thing is I would prefer this same style in regular steel , as I fear the lightweight aspects of this gun would make it uncomfortable to shoot. It is obviously built for carry rather then target shooting. I can't seem to find one in a similar style in steel.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Although I've never shot one, I can't imagine a .44 mag coming from a 4" is going to be an enjoyable experience.

i have a 6 1/2 stainless pre lock. Nice and sturdy even shooting heavy magnum rounds.

Yep, have the identical gun. Shoot it maybe one a year. Whacks your palm pretty sharply with magnum loads. Not as fun to shoot as the .357.

454 Casull! OK, I don't have experience with it I admit. But I was next to a guy shooting one and it was

like a tank firing off each time. Sounded fun to me!

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was the Ruger Redhawk Alaskan

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/specSheets/5301.html

11290251_1.jpg?v=8CE517671C64A70

. Im running 43 grains H110 over a large rifle primer and under a 350 grain JHP. Cooks along at about 1900 FPS IIRC. It is MAX load

Holy CRAP! 43gr, that's like enough powder to do 8-10 9mm rounds just to put it into perspective.

350gr at 1900fps is more powerful than the Hornady Slugs I just bought for my 870. Those are 300gr

at 2000fps. That's just insane to have that much power in a handgun.

I already weighed in with you on my thoughts, but if you want to follow glennp's advice, I'd suggest the .460 as opposed to the .500. Better ballistics and the ability to also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt.

I'll reiterate here what I recommended, which was a 25/625 of some flavor - and if you really want the looks of the 329PD, but not the bite - try a Thunder Ranch 325 or a 325PD - all the boom and big bore, but less bite. I know you, and eventually you are going to want to try games with a revolver - the 625 fills that need - unless, of course, you are looking for an excuse to purchase a second wheelgun, down the road a piece.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ruger Redhawk

Find a used Redhawk. I have an older model with 7 1/2 inch barrel that I paid in the 300 range. Do you reload? 44Mag from a short barrel gun will be punishing. I load medium strength LSWC for target shooting.

The newer 5 1/2 stainless model does look sweet.

I'm not a Redhawk fan from the styling perspective, though I'm sure they are great guns.

Now I'm intrigued with the .460 models. The flexibility to shoot .45LC, 454, and 460 sounds neat.

I already reload for 45-70, so I wonder if I could use 300gr .45 bullets I use for that when loading for .460, anyone know?

I'm looking at this one now

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765656_-1_757771_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I'de like to throw in my 2 cents on the 460, especially the argument that it is more versitile than the 500.

For the non reloader:

Yes, you can shoot a slew of ammo in it, however, keeping multiple expensive calibers on hand is a bigger PITA than one expensive caliber... and frankly, if you have such a big effin' handgun why will you want to shoot expensive weak ammo?

For the reloader:

Why would you want to keep multiple calibers of brass around and keep track of them all (and pay for them all) when you can just use one caliber brass and adjust your loads? Using this logic, there is no benefit to the 460 over the 500. Just download the 500 if you want weaker rounds (but who would want to do that?)

Therfore, you are so close to having the biggest baddest gun out there but chose not to, why? Both are comparably versitile to the reloader especially and with both, if you dont reload you will go bankrupt. A range day with the 500 for me is 100 rounds in addition to other guns, that would be at cheapest $300 of ammo with factory loads and I wouldnt get the BOOM I do with my max loads.

Zoid, speaking of powder charge, its more powder than I reload for .308 :p

Go big or go home! Heres my S&W 500 next to my K38 and a fireball pic. Im running 43 grains H110 over a large rifle primer and under a 350 grain JHP. Cooks along at about 1900 FPS IIRC. It is MAX load

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

firehands.jpg

My son got to shoot the 500 ystrday with a guy doing self loads, a 500gr bullet and a 700gr. He said (in short)wont be doing that again!

I was at first also looking at the Raging Judge Magnum. Gives you 454, 45lc, and 410 shot. It is a large heavy revolver, so much that it turned my two sons off. Then I realized if I shot 454, they would be done after 2 rounds. The 410 shot is a lot of fun, but 45lc is expensive. Take a look at the Governor, you do lose 454 but you gain 45acp. This gives you shotgun fun for something different, and something you can use in idpa/uspsa (using the same 45acp calibur if you have a1911).

Thanks for the feedback all. Being I will be reloading, and looking for big, I now have to decide on the 460 or 500. I suppose I can load down a 500 load to do whatever I want, so maybe that is the way. glennp has a point there, esp if you are reloading. Its not like i'm going to reload for 45LC, 454 Cas, and 460, I'm going to pick one and stick with it.

OK, I think I found something that I really like. A Magnum Research BFR revolver in 45-70. Since I already reload for 45-70, have plenty of components, etc... it makes a ton of sense. Add to that how versitile the 45-70 is along with tons of info on making everything from relative powder puff loads to elk loads with it.

What do you guys think, anyone with any BFR experience?

Link : http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-4570-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

OK, I think I found something that I really like. A Magnum Research BFR revolver in 45-70. Since I already reload for 45-70, have plenty of components, etc... it makes a ton of sense. Add to that how versitile the 45-70 is along with tons of info on making everything from relative powder puff loads to elk loads with it.

What do you guys think, anyone with any BFR experience?

Link : http://www.magnumres...inch-Barrel.asp

NOW YOUR TALKING!

:good:

Just make it in .450 Marlin so I can borrow it!

:lol:

Would you go 7.5 or 10 inch barrel?