Absent Anima

Permit to Purchase Times

This topic has probably been done to death but i just wanted to find out what eveyones initial time to receive permit to purchase handguns has been in recent months. I applied in eatontown the end of december, and was told by the detective its a 3 week turn-around. That was nearly 8 weeks ago and my references havent even received their letters or reccomendation for me. Just seeking some info. Ive got a clean record and was hoping to take possession of my M&P soon. :-/

6 weeks in so far here. NJSP cashed my money order on 2/13, but my references haven't been contacted yet.

I am waiting as well and it will be four weeks this coming Wednesday (2/27). I called them to inquire and they said everything is in order but the state takes at least 2 weeks and the feds take about a month. So when I asked how long it should take, they said about a month. I was also told they are processing about 30 packages a day and its not slowing down.

My references got their letters very quickly, about a week after submission. The PD actually sent a return envelope with a stamp. They sent them back withing 2 days so the PD must have received everything they needed by the end of the second week.

This fits the window they initially gave me when I submitted the package. They said Initial FID's and P2Ps were running 6-8 weeks. After what I learned last week, I believe it will take at least another full month so the 8 weeks mentioned is what I am hoping for.

I'll send you a message as soon as I get a call or get any further updates.

Hang in there,

Tom

2 months already for me. Money order hasn't been cashed yet.

You guys are lucky to even speak with anyone at your PD that knows about the permit process. I get a voicemail box or I can talk to someone there that will confidently and continuously give me the wrong information.

My initial FID took about 2 months and I'm hoping my permits don't take 4 with all the 'delays'... even though my town only has 20,000 residents and can barely be seen on the map.

Just got my 3 P2P's today after 7 weeks. My references were never contacted. I guess after all of that time they must have decided that I'm just a trusting kind of guy... what a joke of a system...

FID and 2 P2P's were submitted on 1/14. Printed on 1/22. Waiting on Monmouth County to return the mental health check to my PD. After that, it will be ready (so the holdup is not my PD at this time, but the county). All other paperwork is in and ready and in order (references, etc).

Just dropped off FID and 3 P2P for my wife and I was told it would be 3-4 months. When I asked about P2P only that I picked up she said about 3 months.

The silver lining is the reason for the delays: the sheer number of people applying for FID and P2Ps has skyrocketed since December. More people wanting to purchase means more voters are aware of the ridiculous process in NJ.

I guess I am one of the lucky few. Dropped of my papers for FID and 4 P2P's on January 14th and had them on Feb 11th, exactly 28 calendar days. When I picked them up I asked what our town's policy was on extended P2P's as obviously I could not use even three in 90 days the way things are. I was told they would be glad to extend all of them on the spot for the full 180 days - which I did.

So I called my buddy who works for trpd over the weekend and asked what the average time for permits was nowadays. He said he had no idea but he would inquire what was going on with my stuff for me. My permits went to the det dept on feb 20th.

Funny thing - the day after he went back to work this week I get a call that my permits are ready...

Cant help but think they were just sitting on a desk in the det dept. Thats not to say Im not happy they are in and I can get my P30l from TJ's.

And NICS are taking a week or more now. I thought the I in NICS stood for Instant. Guess not.

I started the license app process in early November and it wasn't ready until Christmas, but a lot of that time was because of the fingerprint company not having open slots for a few weeks.

To be fair to the PD, they are experiencing 5x the average application volume as before. I did call a few times to inquire and was told my references had not responded when I knew they had. After a bit of prodding, the letters turned up in minutes, buried in a stack of paperwork.

I actually abandoned the idea of buying another pistol that i wanted because I don't want to go through this process again. Kicking myself for only getting the one permit at the time instead of a few, although they expire in 90 days. I figured how many hand guns do I really need (?), and of course the answer turned out to be "every time I see one I like"

So long guns for me for now until things settle down (hopefully)