MartyZ

stocking up on ammo

This might be an extremely stupid question, but somebody needs to ask it.

I know that most people on this forum, including me, are stock piling ammo due to the shortage and the expectation of severly restrictive laws coming in the near future. I myself and buying ammo every chance I get, as long as I can find it at a reasonable price.

My question is, if god forbit in a SHTF situation, when you have to leave your house and might not have the luxury of a vehicle, maybe you run out of gas. How do you folks plan to pack and carry all this heavy ammo. I personally have no clue how this can be accomplished.

i think our main concern for stocking is for price increases and being able to shoot comfortably if unavailable for a time period. realistically if shtf you wont need 10k rounds. so you pack the best that you can and thats all. quality over quantity. and a few 22lr bricks for small game hunting since theres hundreds of rounds in a small box,

I know that most people on this forum, including me, are stock piling ammo due to the shortage and the expectation of severly restrictive laws coming in the near future. I myself and buying ammo every chance I get, as long as I can find it at a reasonable price.

My question is, if god forbit in a SHTF situation, when you have to leave your house and might not have the luxury of a vehicle, maybe you run out of gas. How do you folks plan to pack and carry all this heavy ammo. I personally have no clue how this can be accomplished.

have a go bag...

Because people are stockpiling ammo they cannot possibly carry with them and buy every chance they get at prices double what they were a year ago.. hence an ammo shortage that wont end in the forseeable future.. in the mean time making peoples wallets lighter and buying credit card companies new Gulfstream G550 jets../rant off/

I'm just looking to have enough on hand so that I don't have to make decisions on which match to shoot, or how much practice to accomplish, based on my supply.

I don't think I want to go below 2,500 rounds of 22 and 1,000 rounds of 9.

It sucks having to worry about being able to find ammo just to shoot a match, and even if you can, having to sell blood to afford it.

Stocking up will help average the cost.

Because people are stockpiling ammo they cannot possibly carry with them and buy every chance they get at prices double what they were a year ago.. hence an ammo shortage that wont end in the forseeable future.. in the mean time making peoples wallets lighter and buying credit card companies new Gulfstream G550 jets../rant off/

I don't buy ammo at double the price. If I can't find ammo at the same price I paid last year, I don't buy it.

I think more people stockpile ammo just to have it in the future when it may be unavailable or ridiculously overpriced to buy instead of a SHTF scenario. While I do have plans if that were to happen, I think the majority of people stockpile for availability/cost. I think if S really does HTF though, we would all be prepared and be able to figure out a way to transport it if we had to.

I have

2200 rounds of .22

600 rounds 5.56

500 rounds 7.62x39

250 rounds .45

Components for 2500 .40

A few hundred 9mm

I usually have a lot more pistol rounds. If I minused out the 40 cal I could easily tote that in a large ammo can in a vehicle. If I had to carry stuff I would cut that unfortunatly. I'd always keep the 22 ammo.

Let me give you a different perspective, if you have to leave your house you probably can't take all your food, all your tools, all your furniture, all your dishes, all your clothes, all your shoes, etc.

Does that mean you don't make sure you have a bit more food then you can carry, more then 2 plates and bowls, or more then one chair or more then two pairs of socks?

The whole SHTF and we are all nomads scenario makes for good television or books, but the reality is that if it comes to that one of two things have happened. Either it is a short duration localized emergency (ie hurricane, etc) in which case you better know when to evacuate and how to do it with sufficient supplies OR it is the end of the world as we know it, which short of some sort of biblical event would be first preceded by a medium to long period of decay, shortages, and hardship and then you will have lots of time to use your ammo or trade it for other things like food.

And of course most of us just want ammo to have fun with right now, a lot of people use between 500 to 1000 rounds a month.

Backpacks are your friend. Buy a good one with many compartments and a waist strap. If i need to bug out I'll take my Garand and about 400 round of ammo my .22 with 2000 rounds and my 40 with 200 rounds. That should be enough to fight my way to where i need to go. Once i finish my ar I'll take that instead of my Garand.

Factor this in. If you're in a gunfight during which you've had to fire N rounds, how many rounds have been fired at you and have you been shot/killed?

N = minimum rounds on hand for your weapon/caliber of choice. (Per gunfight you survive.)

Factor this in. If you're in a gunfight during which you've had to fire N rounds, how many rounds have been fired at you and have you been shot/killed?

N = minimum rounds on hand for your weapon/caliber of choice. (Per gunfight you survive.)

If I'm in a gunfight and 1000 rounds is not enough..and I have to resort to my sidearm.. I got bigger problems then..lol. especially when I can engage targets at long range ...

Molon Labe

The whole SHTF and we are all nomads scenario makes for good television or books, but the reality is that if it comes to that one of two things have happened. Either it is a short duration localized emergency (ie hurricane, etc) in which case you better know when to evacuate and how to do it with sufficient supplies OR it is the end of the world as we know it, which short of some sort of biblical event would be first preceded by a medium to long period of decay, shortages, and hardship and then you will have lots of time to use your ammo or trade it for other things like food.

This. I don't consider myself a stockpiler at all. I just buy it in bulk when I see it on sale so I always have some if I want to go shooting.

I'm just looking to have enough on hand so that I don't have to make decisions on which match to shoot, or how much practice to accomplish, based on my supply.

I don't think I want to go below 2,500 rounds of 22 and 1,000 rounds of 9.

It sucks having to worry about being able to find ammo just to shoot a match, and even if you can, having to sell blood to afford it.

Stocking up will help average the cost.

Yeah, you will have to readjust your perspective. I used to buy loaded ammo a case at a time. Then I started competing and shooting .45. That stopped when it turned into buying a case every other month. I started reloading with 2-3 months of supplies on hand. That got ditched for 6 months. THEN the shortages hit. I got burned a little. Updated it to a year. Got burned a lot, then I kept a rolling 18 months. At the end of 2011, start of 2012 I said screw it and stockpiled about 4 years of stuff while it was at good prices. The price jump on components hasn't really hit hard yet, and even if I could get delivery in a timely manner, I still saved over 20% over current pricing, and if the past is an indicator, expect primers to jump form $25-30 to $35-50 per 1000.

MY advice is figure out what you want as a rolling inventory. If you are less price sensitive, my advice is no less than a year's worth and at WORST start shopping when your stock hits 6 months worth. last couple of shortages, that is about how bad it got to get bullets, primers and powder to your door in reasonable quantities. Order of precedence would be primers, then brass, then bullets, then primers. Primers are the most sensitive to supply and demand as there really are no primer manufacturers that focus only on the reloading aftermarket. Commercial ammo production can and has sucked up 100% of supply. Brass is in a similar boat, both aggravated and eased by the fact you get multiple uses out of it. It's hard to determine how much you have and how much you will need. Bullets have companies dedicated primarily to serving the reloading community. They CAN dry up if the commercial ammo industry is really willing to explore all supply channels. Powder has been the least problematic. I don't think I've even seen the price jump significantly outside of dealing with the value of the dollar vs other currencies. It's mostly a matter of inventory availability.

I guess your not buying any. If you are, let me know where your getting it at last years prices.

I know everyone likes to bash Dick's, and for well deserved reason. But last week I bought UMC .45 50 round boxes for $24.99 and WWB .40 100 round boxes for $39.99. These are the same prices I was paying last year.

I dont really call it hoarding or stocking up. For the past several years, I have liked to keep a "Inventory" of a level that I am comfortable with. The way I see it, If the lights go out tomorrow, you are not just going to be able to drive down tot he store and buy some. Taking a look at the current environment is a perfect example.

If I happen to be at the right place at the right time, and Ammo is "Reasonable", I usually buy it, and will use for bartering, or to just maintain my comfort level of inventory. And if it is a Good enough deal, I go to the Range and have some fun...