MB24

If you don't have a safe

I'm looking to get a safe but I'm just wondering, if you don't have one where do you keep your firearms. Do you hide them somewhere in the house/garage, just stick them in a closet?

I own 3 hand guns as I just got into firearms quite recently,don't have kids and don't own a safe devoted to firearms

All my pistols remain loaded and hidden to allow easy access. When leaving for extended periods there is ample room in a secured safe for them.

Accessories and ammo is stored in a utility closet.

One day I anticipate buying a gun safe but right now I don't see the necessity.

Probably just keep them outside in your mail box, it is a Federal offense for anyone to touch anything in there so they should be safe :)

Just kidding. You should probably put the lock on them and then keep them somewhere out of sight. Probably best NOT to keep in the master bedroom as that is the first place the bad guys go to look for stuff.

Interesting question, but probably not a good subject to discuss on a public forum. I would suggest you take it up with some of your shooting buddies in private.

Why not? Aren't we here to exchange information?

To the OP, before the safe I kept my pistol in locked briefcase, and the gun itself was locked as well. Not ideal to say the least.

I wouldn't hide it in the back of a closet...you aren't hiding it from anyone. The first thing a theif is going to do is turn out all of your drawers and empty the closet.

Consider up in the attic or in the rafters in the basement.

I have a friend to claims to have one inside the walls of his beedroom behind the sheetrock. He knows exactly where it is incase he needs it in an emergency situation.

Did he just rock over the gun and then punch the wall out if needed?

I used to just use the gun lock cables or trigger locks until one day. I have no kids and neither did my friends but one day some out of State friends unexpectedly dropped by on their way back from a vacation. They had two 8 year old girls. My guns were always kept individually locked in my master bedroom closet. No one goes in there but my wife and I. However during this unexpected visit, the first time we had kids in the house for a few years, I noticed that the kids were not downstairs with the rest of us. I went up the stairs looking for them and sure enough they were in the closet rummaging around. I chased them out and learned a valuable lesson then. Kids happen and they go to places they are not allowed to go to and are very inquisitive. After that I bought a 6' gun safe and moved all my guns into it and kept the door to the room where the safe was locked whenever we had company no matter what the ages were. You never know if your best friend wants to commit suicide and wants to "borrow" one of your guns to do the deed.

I know that proper trigger locks and cable locks would work but I just did not like the image of kids playing with my guns and who knows if I may have not properly closed the lock or not. Plus if my house was robbed and the burglars stole my gun which were then used to kill someone it would haunt me. Heck just what I had to do in Nam messed me up for a few years afterwards and it was something that I felt was justified.

I have a couple of safes. But since I'm not too sure I ever want to be fiddling with a combination lock at 3AM, I also have one of these gizmos.

95092.gif($38.59 plus shipping from Mossberg)

That's nice for a long gun, but is there something simple like this for a pistol?

I don't see the point of the night table pistol safes when a thief could just walk away with the safe, gun and all. They could torch it open at their leisure.

I would like something to secure the handgun to the building structure, available when needed, but would thwart a grab and run. It would have to be something that I could use in an apartment where I couldn't just do anything I please. Any suggestions?

Before I bought a gun safe I just kept them in the original boxes with all firing pins removed I have two boys under 4; now that I have a safe I keep them all in the safe in gun socks with firing pins removed! For my safety children's safety and if some asshole robs me he won't have a F**** clue why it won't shoot. Yes it's a tedious chore on some guns but worth it in the end to me!