jauslong

Baby Eagle vs. Beretta M9

Went to the range with my brand new FID and P2P today and wrapped my paws around half of the pistols on the shelf.  The two that felt the best to me was the Beretta M9 and the Magnum Research Baby Eagle, also in 9mm.

I was lucky to get to rent a 92fs there today, and I liked it, but don't seem to have access to shooting a Baby Desert Eagle to compare.  How do I decide which to go for?  Or better yet, knowing that I like the heavy full size feel of both of those guns, does anyone have any other suggestions that I should look into?

Assume that I will only buy one handgun ever.  Not necessarily true, but for the near future it is.

In 9mm non polymer guns I would pick the M9 over the steel baby eagle. You should also look at the Browning Hi Power. If that is out of your price range check out the CZ 75B.

In 9mm non polymer guns I would pick the M9 over the steel baby eagle. You should also look at the Browning Hi Power. If that is out of your price range check out the CZ 75B.

Why would you say that? =)

I like both.  

Beretta will be uber reliable.  Baby Eagles tend to be more accurate (due to CZ design), however the magazines are the downfall, and quite frankly, I would not trust my life to them.... although I am a big fan of the guns.

I also did a lot of thinking before making my first purchase and went with a Betetta 92FS. Its a great gun, accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Not difficult to clean or field strip. Its a large weapon and thus absorbs much of the recoil. I agree with the earlier comments and suggestions. Good luck!

If you are looking for full size metal framed 9mm, check out the CZ75_B. It is a tried and tested design, and IMO the ergos are better than the M9/92FS especially in the grip. And I hate slide mounted safeties like on the Beretta because my thumb can't reach it and it works opposite to most other guns (i.e. up is live, down is safe).

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

But the Beretta.

1. You can throw on a .22 Conversion kit and shoot for pennies (if you can find .22LR ammo anymore).

2. Since this is a military weapon, there are plenty of cheap, surplus magazines out there.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies.

I'd go with the Beretta for all the reasons given.

Not one of your choices but the G19 is a better (actually the best IMO) all around 9mm.

I really disliked the way the G19 felt in my hand.  It was a dealbreaker.

If you are looking for full size metal framed 9mm, check out the CZ75_B. It is a tried and tested design, and IMO the ergos are better than the M9/92FS especially in the grip. And I hate slide mounted safeties like on the Beretta because my thumb can't reach it and it works opposite to most other guns (i.e. up is live, down is safe).

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I think I will check out a CZ 75.  Thanks.  I could see what you mean about the safety on the M9.

But the Beretta.

1. You can throw on a .22 Conversion kit and shoot for pennies (if you can find .22LR ammo anymore).

2. Since this is a military weapon, there are plenty of cheap, surplus magazines out there.

This (and the reliability of the M9 that everyone here attests to) are both big selling points.  Thanks.

Look for a Beretta with a removable front sight if you have any inclination about upgrading the sights.. 92A1, Vertec, etc.

Both are fantastic guns and you would be happy with either choice, I have one of the origional IWI BE in 9mm and about 10 magazines, never had an issue with the gun or a mag after 3k rounds +. The M9 is a great choice both pistols are combat proven and super reliable, have a freind on another site that put 10k round though an M9 before any major failures with the gun.

Hard decision but again either way you will be happy.

If you want the accuracy of the BE in a lighter frame and easier to find mags then the CZ-75-B is the way to go for sure.

The 2 most accurate standard 9mm's out of the box in INHO are the 75-B and Desert eagle in 9mm.

I have the M9, BE9915R & CZ75B. I like 'em all just the same as they are all very similar. Get the one that you get the best deal on...and then get two more permits and get the others.

I will admit this: I love my Berettas.  However, I noticed that I was shooting my Beretta 92FS and my PX4 was always in the safe.  So I sold my PX4.

HOWEVER, I have to give a nod to Glock on something.

Note that I absolutely HATE Glocks but they are just not right for ME.  That doesn't mean they aren't right for other people.  I encourage people to take a second look at Glocks - or basically any striker-fired non-manual safety handgun like the XD or M&P for a very simple reason: you can't screw it up.  

I used to go shooting every Tuesday.  It's been hard to do that lately because I'm just working too much.  I finally got to the range last Tuesday night after missing the past 2 months.  You know what happened?  When I was doing tap-rack-ready drills, I kept accidentally flicking my Beretta's safety on.  Why? Because I hadn't practiced in 2 months and I was "slamming down" on the slide instead of "rolling up" from the grip.

The frame-mounted safety/decocker is the M9/92FS Achilles heal.  If you do not practice with it, you will flick that safety on by accident.  This is not a problem with a Glock, XD, M&P, or Sig.

IMHO, if you do not intend to practice every week or two, any handgun gun with a manual safety should not be used for HD.  You can still buy it, but keep it for a collection or as a range toy.  If this is going to be your only gun and you intend to use it in the HD role, consider something that doesn't have a manual safety.  If you intend for this to be a range toy, then go ahead and buy it.

I love my Berettas, hell my avatar has me with a Beretta Kippa.  I am the biggest Beretta fanboy on the planet, but I don't let it cloud my judgement when helping others make a decision.

Why would you say that? =)

I like both.  

Beretta will be uber reliable.  Baby Eagles tend to be more accurate (due to CZ design), however the magazines are the downfall, and quite frankly, I would not trust my life to them.... although I am a big fan of the guns.

The baby eagle 10 rounders work quite well. 

The 15 rounders ALSO used to work quite well until they changed the follower design and they became 16 rounders. 

THe main issue with mags is that since the basic form factor is the same for CZ, EAA witness, baby eagle, the armalite cz-clone, etc., etc. THat you get a lot of 3rd parties and trying to make the same magazine serve fro fulfilling 5 + SKUs. 

Gonna throw one more vote in for the M9. I've got one and love it; my buddy has a Baby Eagle and although it is a nice gun it just feels too big and clumsy for me.

I have a baby eagle waiting to be picked up when my ogam is up. Havent shot it yet but it is one sweet pistol. I got the 5" steel frame israeli made version.

That being said it was a novelty buy for me and if I was looking for something to defend myself I would go beretta between these 2 choices.

For range fun I vote baby eagle.

I didnt mean to imply it was not a capable pistol. I said it was a novelty buy for me and I will not be using it for hd. Im not using a beretta either to be honest.

I have an xd45 w/tlr1hl in the night stand bc after all the rds I have put downrange I still have yet to encounter 1 malfunction and the ammo goes where I point the pistol. Is it my favorite gun? No. Do I trust it to save my and my gf's lives if I need it to? Yes.