malice95

What the wife doesnt know...

Does your wife know the cost/size of your gun connection?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Does your wife know the cost/size of your gun connection?

• No, I sneak guns in the backdoor at night. She knows nothing.
    • She knows how many I have but thinks they only cost $100 each
    • She thinks I only have 1 gun but I have a safe full.
    • I am totally honest with my wife about the guns
    • Its her gun collection!

Maksim is right :)

Buy used, you should be able to recover your money and maybe make a few bucks if you decide to sell. I have several AK's and AR's, when I get tired of one I sell and buy something else used to fool around with and maybe decide to make a keeper out of.

Also, Pre-1898 guns keep going up in value and even restored many will still go up in value if they are shooters in easily obtainable calibers. Nobody likes the Govt. knowing what they have, Pre-1898 is off the books and the Feds do not consider anything Pre-1898 to be a firearm. Thus the value of say a Pre-1898 Mosin in good condition is $450-$600 versus the $149 special that requires those 4473's :)

I see it this way, I can rent at a range all day long but the rental costs will add up and eventually people spend enough renting where they could have purchased that gun they rented from the beginning.

Ammo is just an expense, same as having a car...no gas? can't drive. no ammo? can't shoot. Cars break, need to be fixed. Guns break, need to be fixed. Atleast with guns you won't be hit with a $5K repair bill unless you own something VERY exotic ;)

Don't lie, let the family know what you have. Just keep the anti-gun family memebers (if you have any) in the dark about your hobby lol

There is no such thing as antique in nj. All guns must go Coe or permit. :)

The great outdoor writer/humorist Patrick McManus wrote a column on this years ago.   I only remember a couple of his suggestions now, including bringing home a new rifle with picture wire attached ("look, honey--I got a great wall hanging"), or a lampshade ("look at this great lamp"), but my favorite was the expandable gun cabinet.   OK, this was back in the day when gun cabinets had glass fronts and sat in the den, like fine furniture.   The theory was that wives noticed how many empty slots there were, so every time you brought home a new gun, you expanded the cabinet, to make sure those two empty slots on the end were never filled.

I don't ask what her purses cost, and she doesn't ask what my firearms cost.

Seriously, she doesn't care what I spend as long as our bills and goals are met, and I'm the same with her. We are both reasonable with our spending, and we don't hide anything from each other.

If you need to hide things from your spouse, you're doing something wrong.

No secrets here.  That doesn't mean she wants to know or cares what I'm buying but there are no secrets.  I usually tell her more than she really wants to know.

guns make me happy and she likes me to be happy.  She might roll her eyes but she really doesn't mind.

When my wife asked how much my M9 cost I started off with "less than your bracelet" and then told her the actual amount. It's all a matter of perspective.

Shock then with a fake, inflated number, than give the actual price after the shock....used by many salesman lol

27 to 28.. .the poll is running neck and neck. Liars to Truth tellers.. Seems the truth tellers are more vocal.

While this post was silly I think it all depends on your wife and marriage.

I have a great marriage. She knows the real cost and quantity.. She has to. Its like a game we play.

I just bought an Egyptian Maadi and printed out the receipt and left it on the printer. Came home

with Sig in hand and noticed the receipt sitting on top of the printer. Asked the kids if they did it.. nope.  

She knows the real cost.. the reality is as long as she has the money to do what she wants to do and the

bills are paid.. It works out for my marriage. Hell she can see the credit card purchases anytime she wants.

She'll probably buy a fancy purse in a few weeks.

What I think bugs her is the fact it is guns. that's the underlying issue. When I bought home the first one... that

was the first gun she had ever see up close or touched. All she knows about guns are violence she sees on TV

at night. Hence why its best to downplay, in my marriage, the cost/quantity.

I am in the process of switching from collecting full size video games from the 80s (which took up the entire

basement) to gun collecting. Both are expensive hobbies. Generally for every couple vids I sell off I have the cash

to pick up another gun.

This weekend I am selling off 10 games.. so that will make her happy. I'll put the cash in the bank and take her

to a nice dinner:) I hope to get her out to the range one of these days and convert her.

I have mentioned, truthfully, that none of my guns cost as much as her engagement ring.   In fact, all of them together didn't cost that much (well, I may have passed that benchmark in the last year or so).  I get no grief.  I'm a lucky man.

Last time somebody asked my wife she told them " aa long as i keep getting expensive stuff i dont care" Bribery works wonders

My scenario exactly, but my wife definitely makes out on the deal...I got a Mosin, she got a new living room set.

For me it's kind of don't ask don't tell. She does her thing and I do mine. I don't hide it but I'm not opening the sage either. When you bring home a large safe she has to know its not being used as a safe room.

Her biggest issue is that its guns. She isn't against them, but thinks its some stupid midlife crises. Even though I remind her I have been shooting since I was a kid.

It would be nice to go shooting with her but I also enjoy my time away! She has no issue with me taking the kids so I can't really complain.

my wife doesn't care too much if the money is there. I was testing her patience with the ammo until she heard someone else talk about the shortage. Considering I haven't bought at crazy prices and she sees what it can sell/go for she has not said much about all the ammo I have

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you must HIDE something from your wife..you picked the wrong woman......

......that statement in and of itself will determine if you stay married to her......

The larger issues is not about guns or anything else..but the sole fact that you cannot be honest with her and/or she

Is not approachable on subjects she doesn't gree with...doesn't make for a healthy long term relationship....

My wife knows about every one of them...what they cost..what the value is etc....

Then again she IS my best friend...and as the saying goes...a friend bails u out of jail....your best friend is in there with you....

+1 and nice post sir.

My wife is not a gun person - that said, she gets more upset when I do not tell her that I bought something and she finds out rather than me just coming out and saying I bought another.

She usually tells me that I said I would not become "Steve" (her girlfriends husband)...  I'm not I tell her, I'm only about halfway to Steve!!