iCARRY

Appendicitis

One of my biggest fears in life was getting appendicitis. My father told me about his, the pain he went through and then it burst while on the operating room table. He had to stay in the hospital for 10 days.

Well my biggest fear became a reality last night/this morning.

On Saturday I had some discomfort in my stomach and had to use the bathroom a lot. Chalked it up to food poisoning. Sunday I felt completely fine. No discomfort at all. Monday morning it started again and got more painful as the day went on. Took a few gas-x pills and it seemed to help a little but never went away. By the time night came I couldn't sleep. Started having cold sweats, nauseous, could pin point the exact area of the pain, but no fever. I waited till about 4 am to go to the ER. Really didn't want to be that guy who shows up thinking its the appendix when it's really just gas pain. When I got to the hospital I puked and started a fever. Blood work had high white count. They did a CT scan of the area and it showed that it was large and inflamed.

Surgery occurred at 11:45am. Unfortunately they could not perform a laparoscopy surgery because of how large it was and fear of it bursting. So now I got a nice new big scar on the right side of my belly.

I am doing well and the drugs they gave me helping with the pain a lot. I absolutely hate narcotic pain meds. I have seen what it does to people who get addicted.

I don't know, I had back surgery over the winter, But 10 years ago I passed a MFer kidney stone, thought my PRIKK was gonna rip off! Watch thos painkillers. Had perkies and oxy's after surgery.

I don't know, I had back surgery over the winter, But 10 years ago I passed a MFer kidney stone, thought my PRIKK was gonna rip off! Watch thos painkillers. Had perkies and oxy's after surgery.

OP, glad alls well. But hellyea, kidney stones are by far, really far the most painful thing I ever had ! Several hospital vists GIVE ME MORPHINE,!!

Glad you caught it and got it taken out.  That is one of my biggest fears also--what if you are out in the sticks somewhere, or climbing a mountain or something.  I tried to convince the surgeon who did my hernia to remove the appendix while he had me opened up.  He convinced me not to--not that I would have changed his mind anyway.  But I still have that fear that it is just going to go one day--and I will ignore it, attributing it to some bad food and hope it will pass--and I will be screwed.

OP, glad alls well. But hellyea, kidney stones are by far, really far the most painful thing I ever had ! Several hospital vists GIVE ME MORPHINE,!!

Speedy recovery ICarry.. And yes kidney stones are bad.. Ive had 5.. In triage, nurse asked me to describe pain on scale from 1-10.., i said its about a 480

Also just for those of you who have never had this happen to them, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Aww come on it's not that bad. ;) I'm kidding, it's pretty bad. For anyone interested here's an easy way to tell; push down on your right side above where your appendix is. It shouldn't hurt when you press down. When you let go it'll hurt like hell. Time to go to the ER.

I had laparoscopic surgery. I was in the hospital only for one night since I couldn't stand the guy in the room with me. They wanted me to stay another night. I couldn't lift anything heavy for a month, but I was back at work after 3 weeks. No alcohol for 2 weeks I believe. Your mileage may vary.

Get well soon. That was a crappy time for sure. I thought I was fine till the anesthesia wore off.

Glad you are feeling better.

There is nothing like injury, and/or debilitating pain, coupled with a prolonged hospital stay to make you appreciate good health and well being. (Along with a good home-cooked meal and your own bed!)

Glad you are feeling better.

There is nothing like injury, and/or debilitating pain, coupled with a prolonged hospital stay to make you appreciate good health and well being. (Along with a good home-cooked meal and your own bed!)

Anything has to be better then these hospital beds. All you do is sweat in these things. Can't wait to be on my couch, in my bed, eat a real home cooked meal, get hugs and kisses from my kids and dog.

Also just for those of you who have never had this happen to them, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Yup, been there done that, and would have to agree, the most painful thing I ever experienced - although I've haven't had a kidney stone.

I had mine out when I was 12 years old, and there was no laparoscopic in those days. I was in bed in the hospital for a week and out of school for two.

One of my workers had this done laparoscopic a few years ago, he walked out of the hospital the next day.

Well I am home. Surgery yesterday at 11:45, out of hospital at 6:30 tonight. Glad to be home. Way more comfortable at home. Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Doc told me no work for 6 weeks (cause I have a physical job). Guess I probably shouldn't be going shooting for a little while too.

Hope you're feeling better. I went through this last summer. It wasn't fun. The asshole doctor in the ER didn't pick up that it was appendicitis for 8 hrs. Then it burst. He wasn't worth shit, but the surgeon was awesome.

I have a huge scar from the incision, and another from the drain.

Anything has to be better then these hospital beds. All you do is sweat in these things. Can't wait to be on my couch, in my bed, eat a real home cooked meal, get hugs and kisses from my kids and dog.

I had open-heart surgery in August of 2012. I was in the hospital for five days. I slept in snatches of two hours. Every two hours I was awakened to have my blood sampled to measure clotting factor and had my temperature taken. I would get weighed between 4AM and 5AM each day. An hour later they would roll in with a chest x-ray for my morning snapshot and I would provide them two vials of blood. My room was outside the nurse station, where everyone else on the floor's vitals are tied in to on those beeping monitors. It was as noisy as Madison Square Garden. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Hope you're feeling better. I went through this last summer. It wasn't fun. The asshole doctor in the ER didn't pick up that it was appendicitis for 8 hrs. Then it burst. He wasn't worth shit, but the surgeon was awesome.

I have a huge scar from the incision, and another from the drain.

Wow that's what scared me the most, it bursting and having to have a drain. It happened to my father. The dr in the ER was pretty sure it was appendicitis once he examined me and looked at my blood work. The real answer came when they did the CT scan and both docs at shift change agreed it needed to come out ASAP. The on call surgeon was already there finishing a gall bladder and I pretty much went right in. Do glad it didn't burst.