FishNHard

Has anyone been questioned on 15/30 Mags

Seems like not too long ago there weren't that many around, you were more likely to be questioned then.

There is a ton of them around now, seems like they are readily available and you see them displayed in just about every gun/ammo store. I haven't been bothered over mine, nor have I seen anyone else get questioned (SJSC & MHRPC).

Better yet.... Let them check them under one condition. If they are found to be legit, they owe you a beer for every legal mag!

They'll either walk away or agree. Win-Win! :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I go to EFGA to avoid the crazy NJ laws, but when I am in NJ I can understand a range officer checking the line to see if anything is illegal.

An unpinned 30 round magazine in NJ is like a bag full of cocaine, legally speaking, in NJ.  I don't want to be in the same room as it, don't want to be next to it, don't want to be anywhere near it.  Don't want to be anywhere near anyone who is in possession of it.  I don't want it to be anywhere near me.  If I were managing a firing line, I wouldn't want it to be anywhere on my line.  If a cop comes to the range, I don't want it to be within a stone's toss of my open range bag.  I don't want it to be something someone leaves behind on my property by accident.  No thank you.

You ever watch "Scared Straight"?  You don't want a big felony sitting in front of you.  Or next to you.  You don't want a felony to fall into your open range bag by accident.

Of course in a state such as NJ, a big magazine is going to be looked at closely - the legal consequences are severe.  If it wasn't for a miniscule rivet or pin blocking it to 15, that is barely visible except on close examination, that object represents the end of your legitimate life as you know it.  I don't want to be anywhere near something as illegal as a 30 round magazine in this state.

So while I don't really like the idea of a range officer checking my stuff at a range in NJ, I understand if they decide to do it, and don't begrudge them.  Ultimately that's why I would rather go to PA.

DITTO!!!

BTW  15/30 mags are totally STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :). Why mot have a 15/40 or 15/100 if its all about the look. I would put pinned telescoping stocks and muzzle breaks on 5.56 ARs in the same category.

Even in a real fight 30 rd mags have disadvantages compared to 20s. If you're firing from the prone you need to get that much more off the ground compared to a 20.

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :). Why mot have a 15/40 or 15/100 if its all about the look. I would put pinned telescoping stocks and muzzle breaks on 5.56 ARs in the same category.

Even in a real fight 30 rd mags have disadvantages compared to 20s. If you're firing from the prone you need to get that much more off the ground compared to a 20.

I'm very surprised by this. 30 round bodies have a clear advantage in my mind when it comes to drawing out if a pouch, manipulating, inserting into a magwell, and then pulling to check that its seated, than the 20 rd counterparts. In fact the larger mag may even help me steady the rifle in prone position in the absence of a bipod.

What surprises me the most here is the argument for less rounds in a real gunfight. I can count at least 10 reasons I'd rather have a 30 round mag.

I have a collapsible stock pinned in 1st position because its remarkably shorter than an A2 and much more comfortable to me for its intended use. My comp reduces recoil impulse and muzzle flip.

Its not all mall ninja-ry and tacticool-ness. They serve a purpose. If I ever need it I want every advantage I can get.

Different strokes I guess.

Why?

15/30's are still only 15 rounds.  They get in the way if you must go prone and draw attention in NJ.

Some one else commented on muzzle brakes and pinned stocks... Well I really don't agree there.  It's a mod on an existing stock and saves money and as far as a brake goes...You have to do something with the threads.  A lot of brakes are a gimmick anyway.

The full length magazines are much much easier to manipulate. They could be 5 rd and they would still be better in full length.

If you only shoot from the bench mag length and breaks and so on may seem like needless gimmicks, if you start moving and turn on the timer the world changes.

The full length magazines are much much easier to manipulate. They could be 5 rd and they would still be better in full length.

If you only shoot from the bench mag length and breaks and so on may seem like needless gimmicks, if you start moving and turn on the timer the world changes.

Vlad - I respectfully call BS...It's all about Tacticool.  So are a lot of the run and gun games.  Keep it real!  When you need to go prone for a distant shot (and give a small profile) You'll appreciate a 20rd box.

Vlad - I respectfully call BS...It's all about Tacticool.  So are a lot of the run and gun games.  Keep it real!  When you need to go prone for a distant shot (and give a small profile) You'll appreciate a 20rd box.

I respectfully invite you to a match. You can use your gear, I can use mine. I don't need to go prone for a distant shot in most "real life" scenarios you might imagine because I would probably prosecuted for murder while trying to justify that as self defense.

If you want to keep it real, then keep it real and admit that most of us will never need to make some long range shot with an AR. I don't hunt prairie dogs with mine, as there seem to be a shortage of vast grass lands in NJ.

Also, you can make 300+ yard shots with a red dot monopoding off a 15/30. It is called practice without bipods, bags, or benches.

And finally I call BS on you calling BS on someone else's choices, when their choices are based on things you have no interest in. It would be like me telling a clay shooter that a fine over-under is stupid when a 870's would do the job.

I respectfully invite you to a match. You can use your gear, I can use mine. I don't need to go prone for a distant shot in most "real life" scenarios you might imagine because I would probably prosecuted for murder while trying to justify that as self defense.

If you want to keep it real, then keep it real and admit that most of us will never need to make some long range shot with an AR. I don't hunt prairie dogs with mine, as there seem to be a shortage of vast grass lands in NJ.

Also, you can make 300+ yard shots with a red dot monopoding off a 15/30. It is called practice without bipods, bags, or benches.

And finally I call BS on you calling BS on someone else's choices, when their choices are based on things you have no interest in. It would be like me telling a clay shooter that a fine over-under is stupid when a 870's would do the job.

Been to matches BTW...

Guess I got my desired response.. I love poking you...

I don't know where you ever expect to use those skills other than your games but hey!   I keep a fire extinguisher around too and hope to never use it.

But have fun and I bet we agree on one thing...." Peace through superior fire power"

DITTO!!!

BTW  15/30 mags are totally STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

That depends. For matches I'm running a drop leg rig for my AR mags. Mainly cause I'm lazy and don't want to be chanigng my belt setup every stage. I'm tall and you can only hike the thing up so much. SO the 15/30s make them easier to reach. You can also monopod on them prone unlike 20s. 

Well I do take issue with telling anyone "you don't need XYZ", what does that remind you of?  

Vlad - Never said "you don't need"  I'm opposed to that as well.  You and raz-o make a good case for the convenience of handling 15/30 but, I think you guys are the exception.  My guess is most are sold for "ninja" appeal.

Have fun - Be prepared and let's maintain solidarity in our sport and convictions.

End of convo...

The 30 round mag profile is much better suited for interfacing with pouches than a 10, 15, or 20 round profile. The distance between the bottom of the magwell and the bottom of an inserted mag is also just the right size for the human hand, presumably not by mistake.

I use 10 rounders for the range, but keep 15/30s by my bedside and on my WIP chest rig. It makes more sense for me, and it also means I won't have to change anything training wise in the event in move to a free state.

I completely agree with Matt, at speed, nothing beats the 15/30 with its extra real estate for good grip purchase. Pulling from a pouch, gripping, seating, everyting. Add in deep pouched and a flared magwell and it even trickier to manipulate 15/20's.

But, even preference and shooting discipline aside, another irrefutable technical reason (As it pertains to pinned MAgpul brand mags only) for the superiority of the 30rd body vs the 20rd body is in the follower design. With magpul bodies, the 20 round mags are a straight design, whereas the 30rd bodies are the traditional curved design. This is primarily to take into account and mimic the natural curvature that a tall column of 30 223 rounds will form. With the 20 rd body, the follower is slightly different and has a "tilt" feature built in to allow the bullet column to do its curve thing all within a straight body. Unfortuiantely this tilt feature can sometimes rear its ugly head with various problems such as fail to engage the BHO and lock back and even worse, bolt-over malfuctions. I have a number of 15/20 pmag's from various vendors and i've had the same issue with any of them from time to time, but never with 15/30's. The 30rd follower just doesn't have the same tilt tendency so its immune from the woes of the 20. Shame though since 15/20's are seemingly so must more prevalent for legal pinned pmag's.

I completely agree with Matt, at speed, nothing beats the 15/30 with its extra real estate for good grip purchase. Pulling from a pouch, gripping, seating, everyting. Add in deep pouched and a flared magwell and it even trickier to manipulate 15/20's.

But, even preference and shooting discipline aside, another irrefutable technical reason (As it pertains to pinned MAgpul brand mags only) for the superiority of the 30rd body vs the 20rd body is in the follower design. With magpul bodies, the 20 round mags are a straight design, whereas the 30rd bodies are the traditional curved design. This is primarily to take into account and mimic the natural curvature that a tall column of 30 223 rounds will form. With the 20 rd body, the follower is slightly different and has a "tilt" feature built in to allow the bullet column to do its curve thing all within a straight body. Unfortuiantely this tilt feature can sometimes rear its ugly head with various problems such as fail to engage the BHO and lock back and even worse, bolt-over malfuctions. I have a number of 15/20 pmag's from various vendors and i've had the same issue with any of them from time to time, but never with 15/30's. The 30rd follower just doesn't have the same tilt tendency so its immune from the woes of the 20. Shame though since 15/20's are seemingly so must more prevalent for legal pinned pmag's.

You are referring to the 20 round STRAIGHT body AR mags. Magpul now makes a CURVED style magazine that has the same type of anti-tilt follower.

You are referring to the 20 round STRAIGHT body AR mags. Magpul now makes a CURVED style magazine that has the same type of anti-tilt follower.

True, but prior to the 20rd M3's, so many straight body 15/20's were pushed onto market, they are still quite prolific. I alone must have 25 of these, some of which are your early offerings. Back then, 15/30's were pretty much non-existant since even vendors only wanted to pin the 20 rd bodies (likely for the same scrutiny purposes mentioned by the OP).

Vlad - I respectfully call BS...It's all about Tacticool. So are a lot of the run and gun games. Keep it real! When you need to go prone for a distant shot (and give a small profile) You'll appreciate a 20rd box.

:p

The benefits of manipulations and load out carriage with a 30 round body over a 20 round body were well covered by others already. Spend a day on a timer doing speed reload drills, tac reload and reload with detentions drills, malfunction clearances, simple loading and unloading. Do it cold, wet, hurt, scared and and when you have to poop - The extra length makes the impossible possible when your heart rate pegs at 200 bpm, you have no feeling in your hands, and your whole world is being viewed through a paper towel tube.

I do want to touch on this while "Keeping it real" ;)

Going prone with a 30 rounder is a non-issue. Even more so if wearing armor or a chest rig. You can't get any lower than what you are wearing even with a shorter mag. Also, there are numerous ways to mitigate any height issues you can't work directly around, from alternative prone positions - which are probably more likely to be useful at making you a smaller target outside the Fulda Gap - to simply planting that mag on the deck and crawling on top of the gun. You can also just roll the gun and compensate by aiming slightly high and to the mag side.

The only thing a 20 round body does better than a 30 round body is fit in my safe/go bag and make working with a bipod/bag off a bench easier.

For many it has nothing to do with simple "games" or being a "mall ninja". It is about efficiency, speed of manipulations, and milking every advantage you can out of your gear to win - whether that means winning a trophy or a fight.

So... they check mags to see if they're illegal.

Do they also run the serial numbers on every gun that shows up?

They're only interested in selectively enforcing the law - and they're not the law though they are private property and can make any rules they damn well please.  My rule is simple - I will no longer shoot at a place with stupid rules.

I don't understand all the hate. At least in my experience the RO wasn't rude, didn't force me to prove or show anything. He asked a question, "Hey, are those pinned?" Me: "yes". "Ok, thanks".

If he asked me to prove they were pinned, or take the rifle apart it would be a different matter. This was a simple 10 second exchange.

At least I know he's paying attention.

I have had the same conversation there also. I didn't care, I said yes and it was done!! If all your stuff is good to go whats the big deal? I have a bigger issue when the RO wants to sit and talk about all his guns and won't leave me alone. He seemed a little strange!

I have heard the same question asked at SS by one of the RO's.