Indianajonze

NJ Resident - Why Would I Want CC Permit for Other States?

i see ads all over the place for me to obtain my out of state concealed carry permit for utah (sometimes florida). as a full-time resident of nj, why would this appeal to someone? i understand the reciprocity and how it's valid in 38 or so states, but still...is there that much demand to be able to carry during your week-long vacation somewhere? am i missing some important bit of info regarding the value of this? also, if i have a ccp for let's say florida and i do decide to drive there, aren't the various nonsensical state firearm transportation laws putting you at risk while transporting your ccw? add to this the fees (florida is $112) and i just don't see the point, unless of course there's some less than obvious benefit. btw i'm not trying to stir any trouble, just genuinely interested/confused. i attended nra pistol training over the weekend and as we were leaving the instructor mentioned they offer utah cc permit classes as well...

Carry is not for everyone.....  If you do not see the value in it, then that is fine, do not let other strong arm or berate you into thinking you should, just because you can.....  It is a personal decision.

But yes, I have Florida and Utah, and yes, as soon I leave the confines of NJ, I carry when I can.

For instance.... when I drive to Florida.... I start carrying in Virginia, You can carry in DE, but since that is only like 15min of travel, not worth the bother, because you need to disarm in Maryland. But Virginia, N Carolina you are good. S Carolina you need to stow the firearm, but once you hit GA, you are once again good to go....

The transportation laws are not bad once you learn the basics.....

I have family in N.Carolina and Florida, and I carry 100% of the time when there.... Once again, its a personal choice...

• Like 1

The value of getting these non-resident permits is in how often you leave NJ so you can use them. If you go to Disney for a week annually it's probably not worth it IMO.

I think a lot of people get non-resident permits just to be able to say they have them and really don't get to use them that much.

I did Utah years ago, when PA still recognized it. I was spending time in Philadelphia in some bad areas for my second job. It was nice to have the gun just in case. I stopped working that job so I don't carry much anymore.

If you bought a car that came equipped with a 5 point safety harness, but in NJ thy deemed that safety harness illegal ("you will trap yourself in the car!" "You need training to secure a safety harness!"). But that safety harness was legal to wear in 38 other states. You drive your ct everywhere in NJ but you don't use the safety harness.

So when you drive over to DE for a day, or a week, if you travel to Florida for a week, do you not strap on the safety harness as soon as you cross the state lline? Do you say "well I'm only driving here for a week, why bother with the safety harness".

Your car HAS the ability to protect you better and you choose to NOT wear it in other states?

All the other states feel it's okay to let you wear that safety harness but you will choose not to just because you are from NJ.

I travel in my motor home quite a bit and do overnight while on the road. Sometimes it is in a Cracker Barrel, Walmart, truck stop........... not always sure where. One thing I do know is what state I will overnight in and I make sure it is one of the states I can carry. My first and foremost job in life is to protect my family to the best of my ability and carrying where I can aides me in this. Do I carry everyplace I go once I get to my destination? No, but I do have that option.

• Like 1

Value of the CCW is being prepared.  Utah fees are low, like 65 first time with 10 renewals, and add course fee.  One never knows where they will end up,  For me, I travel on occasion and will take it whenever possible.  With family out west and in Florida, makes sense to me!

You might even want to get as many as you can for the unknown future. Reciprocity between states often change.

For example Virginia almost got rid of all of their reciprocity with other states (they have since come to their senses) so my Virginia permit would allow me to carry even though my Florida would not be recognized.

PA is another example. My NH is still valid until it expires. Then I will have to get a TX permit.

• Like 1

The other argument is just, well, to send a message - add one more to the list of CCW holders in Utah and the other 30 states. Imagine if every handgun owner went through the process, what a boon that would be to Utah's revenue. As will likely happen with medicinal then recreational pot, once the sloths that are state legislators see the dollars they can spread around, their high-moral standards may be exposed for what they really are. 

• Like 1

The other argument is just, well, to send a message - add one more to the list of CCW holders in Utah and the other 30 states. Imagine if every handgun owner went through the process, what a boon that would be to Utah's revenue. As will likely happen with medicinal then recreational pot, once the sloths that are state legislators see the dollars they can spread around, their high-moral standards may be exposed for what they really are. 

that's actually why i was leaning towards doing it - to send a message. i don't see myself ever going to most of the states covered though. i do travel to maine a few times a year, but driving through ny, ct or even this damn state to get there would make me nervous if i had a ccw with me. also it looks like the only state in the northeast to recognize either UT or FL permits is vermont.

so to be clear, and the conclusion i guess i was subconsciously trying to reach, is that if i were to obtain a cc permit for utah and/or florida, it wouldn't help me in any way to get one in new jersey, correct? in fact, by all accounts i've seen it would be utterly worthless here. idk, i was hoping i could get it and demonstrate to these people (nj) that i'm worthy of a permit since other states recognize my non-criminal behavior. using them as a sort of character reference as it were.

that's actually why i was leaning towards doing it - to send a message. i don't see myself ever going to most of the states covered though. i do travel to maine a few times a year, but driving through ny, ct or even this damn state to get there would make me nervous if i had a ccw with me. also it looks like the only state in the northeast to recognize either UT or FL permits is vermont.

You don't need a permit in Vermont.

so to be clear, and the conclusion i guess i was subconsciously trying to reach, is that if i were to obtain a cc permit for utah and/or florida, it wouldn't help me in any way to get one in new jersey, correct? in fact, by all accounts i've seen it would be utterly worthless here. idk, i was hoping i could get it and demonstrate to these people (nj) that i'm worthy of a permit since other states recognize my non-criminal behavior. using them as a sort of character reference as it were.

If we ever get some type of federal laws on cross state reciprocity, this MAY be useful in NJ (at least we can hope).

I also agree that the more people that have ccw's the better the statistics will be that we are basically very responsible citizens that usually don't get involved in shooting each other over parking spaces  :facepalm:

Having it can't hurt in terms of stats. Plus if you choose to carry in other states, it will keep you safer.  And you'll probably make a personal choice to get some additional tactical training, which is good. So I see no down side in getting out of state CCW permits.

Anyone know if states like Idaho allow OOS visitors to carry?  I'd get a kick out of putting the 2nd in a CCW permit holder.  edit: GRIZ posted above about Vermont, so I assume we are good to go in those Constitutional Carry states.

The other thing that I know has been beaten to death like an already beaten, mummified dead horse is the transport out of NJ.  The stop at a range/gunsmith, or gun shop is still a requirement of Obergruppenführer Sweeney's SS Rules, correct?

Having it can't hurt in terms of stats. Plus if you choose to carry in other states, it will keep you safer.  And you'll probably make a personal choice to get some additional tactical training, which is good. So I see no down side in getting out of state CCW permits.

Anyone know if states like Idaho allow OOS visitors to carry?  I'd get a kick out of putting the 2nd in a CCW permit holder.  edit: GRIZ posted above about Vermont, so I assume we are good to go in those Constitutional Carry states.

The other thing that I know has been beaten to death like an already beaten, mummified dead horse is the transport out of NJ.  The stop at a range/gunsmith, or gun shop is still a requirement of Obergruppenführer Sweeney's SS Rules, correct?

Kevin, concealed carry by OOS residents are usually treated the same as residents in Constitutional Carry states. I believe Wyoming allows CC concealed by residents only. OOS residents are welcome to open carry there. I might be wrong on that. It would behoove one to check the law in any CC state before doing so there. Most states have firearms laws that tell you what you can't do unlike NJ which tells you what you can do. Laws in other states are much easier to understand.

BTW my knowledge of firearms laws in VT is via my sister in law who was a ADA, DA, and now a retired judge. Unlike NJ and a lot of other anti gun states, if a prohibited person is caught carrying a firearm they will go to jail. The murder rate in NJ is almost 3 times that of VT. There are a lot of factors other than gun laws that affect murder rates of course. Hawaii, with gun laws as bad as NJ, has about the same murder rate as VT. A factor keeping Hawaii's murder rate low is if you kill someone there, you don't have anywhere to run to.

Some day our next president may possibly sign National Receprocity into law. Maybe NJ will continue to not issue resident permits, but they will be forced by the law to recognize out of state permits... just a thought I always have in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

Wow. Nobody here said "Because it could save my life in another state"

So I guess the OP was right. It really is "just Bexause"

I think that's a given....the saving your life reason...

For me, if I expected to travel to a state often enough where I could carry, including the issues of transport there, I'd do it for that reason.

Please read sentence #2 in post #18.

Boobies are more than "Just Cause"

Mipa has this one right for sure! Boobies are #1

He can carry while seeking or enjoying Boobies! Kind of like having your cake and eating it too!

Life in free America......I'd give my left nut to get out of the PRNJ!

If it's a given to save your life that's what I was hoping more of what the OP would get out of asking the question. It came across to me as perhaps it was phrased more like "why would you want a permit in another state if you don't live there?"

And I didn't want to start a ruckus about the "only when I'm on vacation". I wanted to reply "oh great, please tell me these vacation spots where there is a guarantee you will not be a victim of crime?"

Look, I don't have any permits so take FWIW my words... But I thought the theme of carry here was always be prepared. I don't know how vacations are exempt. Maybe this is for a different topic.

Wow. Nobody here said "Because it could save my life in another state"

Since no one can say where the next violent crime is going to occur, it's good to have some defense against it, at least whenever possible.

And I can't tell you how much it infuriates me that the government in our home state believes that our lives are not worth defending.

i just don't see the point, unless of course there's some less than obvious benefit.

I have my CPL from Michigan since I've retained legal residency in that state (they do not offer non-resident licenses).  Even though it doesn't allow me to carry in NJ...I still obtained it for the following reasons...

1)  I leave the PRNJ quite often and want to exercise my 2A rights as much as possible.

2)  My time here is limited and I want to be better set-up for life after Jersey.

3)  Reciprocity between states changes from time to time, so collecting a couple non-res permits helps.

4)  Strength in numbers -- even sending a message in another state can affect the nation.

5)  Perhaps we'll get a National Reciprocity some day through Legislative, POTUS, or SCOTUS (Obergefell v. Hodges)

and oh yeah...it might save my life   :good:

When I was living in West Philly during college, the only time I wasn't carrying was when I was in the shower. I never became a Philly resident because the added wage tax and car insurance premiums would have been outrageous - substantially greater than my ~ $200 Utah permit (recognized while I was in college). It would be great if Pennsylvania would just let oppressed NJ residents get non-resident LTCF's...

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk