siderman

Waaahhh my new car totaled!

damnit! 10 month old CX5GT smashed by some FL lowlife who flew thru a red light. No one hurt bad, thank goodness for modern safety features, construction, lots of airbags....what a pia, Got hit so hard got smashed into the car behind causing lots more damage to the rear. My wife was driving, she's in FL I'm up here. Body shop stopped adding up the repairs after 20k+...just got told today its officially gone. We were told the offending Escalade was probly totaled too. Only good news is the buy-out seems fair but now gotta start the whole shopping around thing again,what a drag. We really liked that Mazda too, best and most blinged out car we ever had. Would normally just get another but they did a few changes in 2016 I dont like so.... shit...

Damn that sucks! Glad to hear your wife was ok though.

A close friend of mine got into an accident lately and for some reason even though her car was worth about 15 grand, the bill added up to 14k and the company still decided to fix it. Not sure why they didn't total it.

Not sure what you are looking into for the next car, but why not look at your same car? It would be a leftover since it's a 2015 and you could probably get one for less than you paid for the original. The new Rav4's are really nice - Toyota has come a long way with them and they finally have a nice sporty sleek look. I really like the Subaru Crosstrek (don't have one, but I like the forester and cross trek) but I think that's smaller than what you're looking for.

New foresters are so ugly and I hear from people the crosstrek is junk, and slow. The new outback I would drive in a heartbeat. Plus subaru holds its value very well. Maybe an option? Regardless, glad everyone is ok. Could be a lot worse. As mention, cars can be replaced. People can not.

Glad she is OK.

I've noticed a lot of crappy drivers from FL, and a lot of accidents involving them. Not down in Florida, but up here. I have a feeling a lot of them are up here for nefarious purposes. Guess some are down there, too.

There are a lot of crappy drivers down here. My girl got rear ended a couple months ago. Woman told her that she wasn't paying attention when my girl slowed down for the car in front of her turning.

I was surprised when I moved her to learn my auto insurance was going up compared to jersey. After being here a year, I see why.

Glad she is okay. That's most important.

NJ auto insurance cost really isn't bad. I don't understand what everyone complains about.

When I moved to NJ from Ohio, my insurance more than doubled.  I was paying about $450/year(1995) and it went to just under $1250 for the same car.  I was 28, no tickets, no accidents.  State Farm in both places.  To  help control cost, I raised my deductible, reduced the limits on coverage and added the lawsuit waiver.   

Yes wife is just fine  thanks for that..The payout I'm ok with was only a few grand off our purchase price not much of an arguement there. USAA has always been a good ins co for us. From what my wife and BIL tell me the other party was typicall trash. Nice ride but dressed/talked like crap, low rider pants,  dirty wife beater shirts for those that showed up wearing a shirt, rock bottem ins. And it turns out both women in the Escalade have been in jail...thats where they met. One witness said they flew right past him, he was at the red light they went thru I'm curious how fast they were going.  My wife was down there helping her parents look for a West coast home in addition to their Vero waterfront penthouse(nice!). She also keeping a third eye out for our future prospects. Ok, the excitements over time for us to move on.

Yes wife is just fine  thanks for that..The payout I'm ok with was only a few grand off our purchase price not much of an arguement there. USAA has always been a good ins co for us. From what my wife and BIL tell me the other party was typicall trash. Nice ride but dressed/talked like crap, low rider pants,  dirty wife beater shirts for those that showed up wearing a shirt, rock bottem ins. And it turns out both women in the Escalade have been in jail...thats where they met. One witness said they flew right past him, he was at the red light they went thru I'm curious how fast they were going.  My wife was down there helping her parents look for a West coast home in addition to their Vero waterfront penthouse(nice!). She also keeping a third eye out for our future prospects. Ok, the excitements over time for us to move on.

Glad to hear she's ok.   Stuff can be replaced.  That said, when people hit you, you always end up losing something.  It really blows.  My boss got rear-ended yesterday in his 2015 Camaro 2SS.  Even though it'll get fixed, now and forever, it's worth 5-10k less because it's been in an accident.  I suppose you can sue for the lost value and you may win something but you have to shoulder those costs.  Not to mention all the time, effort and lost work to get a car to the shop, etc.  It's a big pain in the ass.  

my biggest fear was it wouldnt be totaled. After seeing the pics, you just knew it was going to be close....who wants a car that was almost totaled with all the inherent future trouble that will come, and try to sell a car in a big accident cant be easy or very profitable. You can fix all the metal but the electronics, so many components taking a killer jolt, sooner or later the failures will start. The big screen dash display and all the high end features, back up camerea, exterior warning sensers ...not to mention all the standard modules, computers etc.. 

my biggest fear was it wouldnt be totaled. After seeing the pics, you just knew it was going to be close....who wants a car that was almost totaled with all the inherent future trouble that will come, and try to sell a car in a big accident cant be easy or very profitable. You can fix all the metal but the electronics, so many components taking a killer jolt, sooner or later the failures will start. The big screen dash display and all the high end features, back up camerea, exterior warning sensers ...not to mention all the standard modules, computers etc.. 

I agree there...if it is banged up badly, you want out.  Even fixed, it's never again like it was when new.

Why not buy the year you already had?

Not a lot of stock left over from 2015.  Maybe it's just this area though - FL might have more leftover.

Glad the wife is OK!

Maybe a purchase a left-over or something coming back from a lease w/ a great extended warranty?

Personally I'm always leery about off-lease cars.  You don't know what the previous owner did.  Warranty may get you through though...

Not a lot of stock left over from 2015.  Maybe it's just this area though - FL might have more leftover.

Personally I'm always leery about off-lease cars.  You don't know what the previous owner did.  Warranty may get you through though...

Depends on the mileage and the model.  I would never buy an off lease performance car, an STI, or EVO or something like that because you know the owner beat the hell out of it.

By the same token, you're probably safe on most mid-level and up, premium or luxury cars as the owners are typically 40+ commuters.  For example, there's a 70YO female manager that works here that leases a new X5 every 2 years.   She has a 2 mile daily commute but it gets a good warm up when she goes out on the weekend.  Anyway, her last lease turn in had 3000 miles on it.

Not only that, if the dealer CPOs that pushes the warranty out enough for comfort.

My son bought a 2 yr old supercharged Audi S4 about 2.5 years ago.  I drove that rocket.  It was a cream-puff, with a CPO + he bought the extended warranty on top of that.  He LOVES that car.  Getting the extended warranty on top of the CPO was a great decision and saved him THOUSANDS off the new sticker.

Good to hear she's ok.

The other stuff sorta sucks.

The insurance procedure for that other car she was pushed into is or at least, used to be, mind boggling.   They sue your insurance... your insurance co in turn sues driver that hit you.  I had that situation but the driver that caused the accident took off.  So my insurance co. had to pay the ins co of the car I was pushed into.  It wasn't an at-fault for me.  But still, it bugged me.

Good luck with the car search.  Crashes like that are another reason to 'go big' with your vehicle choice.

Not just in NJ, here in NC if you see a Fla or SC driver you back off. Had my 1995 Blazer with 100,000 miles and not a scratch or rust anyplace that I owned for three days totaled by a Floridian who attempted a Starsky and Hutch in front of me, then told the officer his dog jumped on his lap causing him to lose control.

Was low balled for a month by his insurance company then they decided two weeks later he wanted to retract his statement to the police. LOL Took months to settle but I did OK but would still rather have the Blazer back. In the summer we get what are called half backs here.