Indianajonze

Permit Extension Problems (!) and Question

have 2 permits that are reaching their 90 days and expire on 6/22. went to the station today (6/8) to get them extended as my OGAM is up on 6/30. i was under the impression that it's a simple stamp and i'm on my way. nooo...

the person in charge of the firearms paperwork refused to extend them, saying it was "too early". he said i need to come back on or just before the 22nd and that i need to have a "good reason" to have them extended. the police chief has to review the request and will sign to extend them only if he deems the reason justified. i told him the reason was that they were going to expire before i'm eligible to buy again, which he said was not good enough... 

is this normal? i was really surprised that it looks like it's going to be this involved to get permits extended. what is considered a "good reason" to extend nj handgun permits if not because they're going to expire?

Different towns have different policies. Some, like yours are a PITA and do anything they can to make life harder. Others are fine and will sign an extension just because you didn't use the permit yet.

For the ones that are obstructive, I think you should apply for new permits every time you go to pick up a set. The town gets $2 per. That doesn't come close to what it costs for the PD to do the paperwork. Maybe ask the mayor why his PD's policy is to waste taxpayer money.

• Like 1

The unfortunate bottem line is the chief has discretion on renewing them or not and is not obliged to do so. The trick is to know your chief/towns policy ahead of time and schedule your purchases around OGAM. Hopefully you get the extensions, good luck and lesson learned.

^exactly. I'd go to the higher ups and tell them to do the math.. Hell, write a letter to the chief. 

Tell em, you can keep applying for a SINGLE permit every time one expires, just because you can- i mean, hey, you DO pay your taxes, otherwise they'd be very quick to say somethin'- or they can just not be a PITA and renew the damn thing.
I'm a firm believer in that both sides can play games.
Sure, they can keep refusing to extend.. You'll just keep paying em 2$ to waste their time. Most Departments in NJ pay fairly well, and it costs them MUCH more than the 2$ they charge to actually do all of the paperwork.

My town is easy. I went to the dispatch window with my permit on the day of expiration. I asked for an extension, no explanation needed. The dispatch guy handed it to the Firearms Unit guy who extended it and forwarded it to be signed by the Chief. 2 days later I get a call to pick it up. 

^exactly. I'd go to the higher ups and tell them to do the math.. Hell, write a letter to the chief. 

Tell em, you can keep applying for a SINGLE permit every time one expires, just because you can- i mean, hey, you DO pay your taxes, otherwise they'd be very quick to say somethin'- or they can just not be a PITA and renew the damn thing.

I'm a firm believer in that both sides can play games.

Sure, they can keep refusing to extend.. You'll just keep paying em 2$ to waste their time. Most Departments in NJ pay fairly well, and it costs them MUCH more than the 2$ they charge to actually do all of the paperwork.

Not that easy, cause he also has to do $20 background check and references each time. But I get your point.

Was this the same person that processed your initial paperwork? If not then try them instead when the time comes. From what I understand you can still get them extended once they expire but it will be only for the additional 90 days from the original paperwork. 

Lambo correct me if I'm wrong he can't get additional P2Ps w/o paying for another background check. Isn't that why most of us just suck it up and get multiple P2P and extend for an additional 90 days? 

I too have had no problems getting my extended. One time I had a permit extended that was about a month expired.

If they need a reason tell them you already paid for a pistol and an FFL is holding it for you waiting for the OGAM... Worked for me a few times, when it wasn't true....

My town extends on the spot with no questions.  In fact, when you pick your permits up in the first place, they tell you that if for any reason you dont use them by the end of the 90 days, bring them in to get extended for another 90..   I just had one that was expiring on 6/5..   Went to the PD on 6/2, and the woman at the desk too it, went back to her desk..   5 minutes or so later, i had an extended permit in my hand.. 

It really is dependent on the town..  Some are just less firearm friendly than others. 

My town has extended them on day one for the full 180 days.  They are great a civilian employee that does all the work.  When you go to renew she has a stamp with the chief's name and that is used for his signature. 

I don't understand why people play this stupid permit game anyway.  The solution is simple.  Every five to six months I just apply for four new permits.  That way I always have at least one and can buy anything I want whenever I want (well not more than two in 30 days) and don't have to worry about using a permit that is about to expire.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people play this stupid permit game anyway. The solution is simple. Every five to six months I just apply for four new permits. That way I always have at least one and can buy anything I want whenever I want (well not more than two in 30 days) and don't have to worry about using a permit that is about to expire.

I spewed this ad nauseum. People are cheap, lazy or stupid. You won't convince them.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Let these guys know about it and maybe they can stir the pot a bit.

http://www.anjrpc.org/?page=A_Strikeforce

x3 would like to know, you may as well have said it in original post and get some publicity out there about this crap - and also I would HIGHLY recommend emailing the ANJRPC about it - [email protected] per that link provided

the Permitting Strikeforce that ANJRPC does isnt about this particular issue but is about illegal delays & paperwork. This pp extension, or lack of is not illegal and is up to the chiefs discretion. it sucks but....

the Permitting Strikeforce that ANJRPC does isnt about this particular issue but is about illegal delays & paperwork. This pp extension, or lack of is not illegal and is up to the chiefs discretion. it sucks but....

Which is a good reason not to get on the wrong side of the chief.

• Like 1

I am too. And I did plan this process out to the letter. Thats how I've been able to settle the debate as to exactly when you're eligible for a new purchase (it's precisely on day 30 btw). Just wasn't expecting resistance for something simple like an extension.

Yeah it was the same guy who processes all of the paperwork. What's weird is that I've never had an issue with permits here before. He's gruff and gives you a hard time, but everything is done within the 30 days typically. That's what I'm hoping here, that he was just reading the riot act out of general principle "just because". He made a big point of showing me the top right of the permit where it says (paraphrasing as I don't have it in front of me) that the chief "MAY grant a one time extension provided you have a good reason". Really odd because ok, if an extension is up to his discretion, a whole new permit is not. Would they rather that? Why would NJ even put that there?

I've met the chief before and he's a pretty awesome guy, no issues at all. if there is a problem I doubt it comes from him. Really scratching my head at this whole thing.

My plan is to wait until the day before they expire, 6/21 and go back for my extensions and see what happens. Hopefully, as I suspect, it will all go smoothly. As mentioned, my 30 days isn't up until the 27th, so I have a little time to play with. If I have a problem I'll go back the next day and the next after that. If they're still not extended I have no problem meeting with the chief to ask about it.

Oh lastly someone mentioned earlier it's easier just to get new permits. I disagree. It costs $20 each time and I really hate bothering people for the damn references (they ask for them and mail the letter to them each time). Far easier, in theory, to get 6 initially and just get extensions. Or so I thought...

By the way......  the $20 background check each time is also at the PD discretion ...... my town said they are good with one every 6 months is fine..... 

in the OP issue..... I would just apply for new permits every 3 mo., since they are not actually breaking the law by NOT extending your permits

By the way......  the $20 background check each time is also at the PD discretion ...... my town said they are good with one every 6 months is fine..... 

^This - since it had been 2 years my PD had me do it - but if they said it hadn't been too long i wouldn't necessarily need it

Eh I have a feeling they'd charge me the $20 each and every time...

That check is made out to the local PD hmmmmm...... But then again after 4 permits I'm broke so I can't request for more P2P within the 6 month time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That check is made out to the local PD hmmmmm...... But then again after 4 permits I'm broke so I can't request for more P2P within the 6 month time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^When I did my criminal records check I paid directly to the NJSP via their website link that my PD told me to visit

Not to hijack this thread but what is really letter of the NJ law when it comes to the background checks in NJ? How long are they valid for from the first time one requests for P2Ps to additonal P2Ps? Can one really request for additional P2Ps without having to run another background check?  If possible how far apart can they be before the state requires another background check? Also does every township require reference letters as well? I'm in Marlboro and they do so how would that come into play as well?

Old chief required a "please, massa! can I haz an extension?" letter.

New chief, he DGAF.

here's my old grovel letter...

Greetings Sir;

I am writing to request an extension for my Permit to Purchase a Handgun, control number <insert #s here>.  The firearm I allocated for this permit is in transit to my FFL at this time.

I appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely, <name>

Note that may or may not have contained a little white 'lie', but I was never called on it.  It's all bullshit and they know it.

Or as the guy who handles the firearms paperwork said "If you can't find 2 people to LIE for you (re: the reference letters) then you have bigger problems!"

I love my guy. (no homo)

I don't understand why people play this stupid permit game anyway. The solution is simple. Every five to six months I just apply for four new permits. That way I always have at least one and can buy anything I want whenever I want (well not more than two in 30 days) and don't have to worry about using a permit that is about to expire.

The good part of doing it this way is you'll always have a valid permit available. The bad part is you'll always have a valid permit available

• Like 1