EWC88

I did it l, I'm a big boy!

So it's done, today was my closing day and I am now a homeowner! Your heart really sinks when you see that big deposit be official with that wire transfer. But hey it's a new step in life and something to be proud of!

Now the fun of changing address and all that other crap lol

• Like 2

Nice.  You know what's even worse?  Building a house lol.  My deposit went already and got released and the house ain't even finished yet.... and I still gotta drop more money for extras/upgrades.... lol

Progress payments are always a big wake up call.  I can remember having to request the bank to disperse funds and seeing nothing but a shell of a house.  Or course I thought the first night was a new beginning, little did I realize how much of one.  

Wednesday the taxes are due, ugh!

Thanks everyone! Yea I wish it wasn't in NJ but the other half doesn't want to leave yet..

Won't lie, it's scary especially see that big chunk leave my bank account, and just thinking of lovely bills. BUT I did it right financially with making sure I can afford so I should be good to go! It is nice to be able to look at this beautiful house as a big accomplishment in life.

Also house is not old at all, everything checked out great from house inspection and the stuff that didn't the seller fixed, and I know it was fixed because I was there lol

Thanks everyone! Yea I wish it wasn't in NJ but the other half doesn't want to leave yet..

Won't lie, it's scary especially see that big chunk leave my bank account, and just thinking of lovely bills. BUT I did it right financially with making sure I can afford so I should be good to go! It is nice to be able to look at this beautiful house as a big accomplishment in life.

Also house is not old at all, everything checked out great from house inspection and the stuff that didn't the seller fixed, and I know it was fixed because I was there lol

I felt the same way twenty years ago when we put up the 20% down (to avoid PMI), had banks going through our"private" financial history, signed reams of paperwork and entered into a construction loan and mortgage agreement.

Seemed like so much money,such a huge commitment. But now it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. What the hell was I worried about?

My only advice if you're buying new, get any of the major extras you might want. Any upgrade that would require a good bit of tearout of existing to do later, do it now. Even if you think it blows the budget, so much easier to do it now.

Congrats

Congratulations and best of luck to you! Approximately where are you located?

Now you can build that secret gun closet you've always dreamt about!

Located in a real nice spot in franklinville. Haven't met neighbors yet but everyone's house on the road we live on our gorgeous and taken great care of which is a huge plus. Also huge plus everyone has land, we have the smallest amount at a acre of land but I'm happy with it.

Now comes the painting

• Like 1

I felt the same way twenty years ago when we put up the 20% down (to avoid PMI), had banks going through our"private" financial history, signed reams of paperwork and entered into a construction loan and mortgage agreement.

Seemed like so much money,such a huge commitment. But now it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. What the hell was I worried about?

My only advice if you're buying new, get any of the major extras you might want. Any upgrade that would require a good bit of tearout of existing to do later, do it now. Even if you think it blows the budget, so much easier to do it now.

Congrats

Yea we put the 20% down so no PMI. It's funny I walked into the house today, first time walking in of actually owning it all other times were when we were looking at it. When I opened that door and walked in I just smiled because of the accomplishment and all the "holy shit goodbye money!" moments went away.

Congrats

Doing that now for mine.  Whole house generator is out of the question in terms of costs, but they're putting in the stuff that will work with a smaller portable gen.  Was considering the radiant heat floors in the bathrooms but that was way out of budget too.  Did get Heater/Fan/Light combos.  Also I'm wiring the house for Ethernet (CAT6) and for security cameras....

I want to wire the house for cameras, need to come up with a plan for that.

Also trying figure the whole internet and tv situation. Cable is run all around house but determining if I'll go the firestick (already have) plus antenna route and just do Internet or what.

Doing that now for mine.  Whole house generator is out of the question in terms of costs, but they're putting in the stuff that will work with a smaller portable gen.  Was considering the radiant heat floors in the bathrooms but that was way out of budget too.  Did get Heater/Fan/Light combos.  Also I'm wiring the house for Ethernet (CAT6) and for security cameras....

The nice thing with a construction loan is that you own the property from the start, you have access and can do things during construction that a regular builder would typically not allow. Like adding wire chases or conduits before sheetrock, painting, etc.

We could hire our own contractors for some of the extra work we wanted, do our own flooring, etc. I was surprised our builder actually encouraged this.

But I still wish I'd spent the "out of budget" money on a larger, jetted master tub (or a Japanese style ofuro) and a bilco door. Because those are a PIA to retrofit.

OTOH I had it all paid off rather quickly, and that is nice too

I want to wire the house for cameras, need to come up with a plan for that.

Also trying figure the whole internet and tv situation. Cable is run all around house but determining if I'll go the firestick (already have) plus antenna route and just do Internet or what.

Try attic or rooftop antenna first. Cable is good if you've got money to burn