1LtCAP

sonofab*tch

so i'm trying to cut zipties off of a cable system i bought to be able to let kylie outside(yard's not totally fenced in yet). pushing the scissors through the ziptie, i thught i was clear......they slipped, and i friggin stabbed myself in the hand. outter base of the thumb. hard hit, and went pretty deep, although not much blood. just got it covered with a couple bandaids right now.

what's got me concerned though.......the outter half of my thumb is numb. only on the fingerprint side. i can feel the whole back side of my thumb. i did this a couple hours ago, and was hoping feeling would come back by now. so far, nogo. worst part.....it's my left hand. i shoot left handed. haven't tried gripping a pistol yet........

depending on where you struck, you may never regain sensation again.

IMG_20150102_174643_221.jpg.small.jpg

I sliced my thumb clean to the bone in that image.  from the cut line to the joint is now dead for sensation.  all the nerves terminate at the line, so it's a really fun time when I accidentally smack it into something.  That was over 3 years ago now, and other than not being as sensitive to touch as it was, it's gotten no better.

Zeke is right! Focus on the tetanus shot/possible infection first. Don't mess around with a deep puncture wound. Sheesh! 

You might have hit the nerve, or there could be swelling in the area pressing on the nerve... who the heck knows? Nerves can take a long time to regenerate. But ummm... I think you would benefit from an actual doctor, not us (the NJGF peanut gallery), LOL!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sota said:

I sliced my thumb clean to the bone in that image.  from the cut line to the joint is now dead for sensation.  all the nerves terminate at the line, so it's a really fun time when I accidentally smack it into something.  That was over 3 years ago now, and other than not being as sensitive to touch as it was, it's gotten no better.

from the lower portion of that slice.....continue around about 10 degrees, and slightly closer to the knuckle...by only a quarter inch or so.......

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Zeke is right! Focus on the tetanus shot/possible infection first. Don't mess around with a deep puncture wound. Sheesh! 

You might have hit the nerve, or there could be swelling in the area pressing on the nerve... who the heck knows? Nerves can take a long time to regenerate. But ummm... I think you would benefit from an actual doctor, not us (the NJGF peanut gallery), LOL!

i'm gonna give it a day. will also talk to my customer/friend tomorrow who is a doc........

Got my left hand in the path of a running lawn mower blade!........Don't ask!  I survived and have total feeling restored! I am on the side of how wonderfully the human body is at healing itself and I say you will be fine!:)

• Like 1

i feel it'll heal up. it was a straight in puncture. i'm pissed at myself for being so careless/clumsy. that crap's for kids, not almost-old guys.

i just brought some wood in off the porch....i notice that i can grip with that hand perfectly fine.....unless i've got my arm extended fully straight. they it hurts like a $#$%^

or when i use my hands to push up out of my computer chair........

with a straight puncture you might get lucky and the loss of feeling is purely from inflammation.  only time will tell.  mine I was actually more nervous about the loss of mobility the first couple days; the swelling was causing the ligaments and tendons to stop working.

7 minutes ago, sota said:

with a straight puncture you might get lucky and the loss of feeling is purely from inflammation.  only time will tell.  mine I was actually more nervous about the loss of mobility the first couple days; the swelling was causing the ligaments and tendons to stop working.

dude....i'd be scared pooples(keeping it somewhat clean outta the 1a, lololol) if i had the injury you pictured....

Yeah.  Same here took about 2 years to get feeling back.   Tetanus shot.  Can if you want to.  But any shot is not good.  I got one last week at the va.  Never saw such a black and blue mark from a shot before.  I shoulda said no.  When you get cut    It bleeds.  That bleeding pushes out any infections or other bad stuff. Until it starts to coagulate.  Then the body starts to self heal. Also.  Sounds crazy. But dogs saliva has antceptics in it.  I got a bad cut 2 years ago on the top of my palm.  Ya know where all those veins are that do to your fingers.  It was from a 50 yr old rusted corrugated drain pipe.  Bled like crazy.  I probably nicked the vein.  I hosed it off it slowed down in bleeding.  I went home.  My dog just kept licking it.  Within two weeks it was totally healed up.  I can imagine what your thinking.  But it worked.  I dont do meds or doctors unless it’s necessary.  

• Like 1

Just as an aside, use pet claw trimmers for zip ties. It's a trick I came up with when I used to run network cables for a living.   It's like they were made for it.

Hope it heals up nicely and you get your feeling back.  On the bright side, chicks dig scars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Yeah.  Same here took about 2 years to get feeling back.   Tetanus shot.  Can if you want to.  But any shot is not good.  I got one last week at the va.  Never saw such a black and blue mark from a shot before.  I shoulda said no.  When you get cut    It bleeds.  That bleeding pushes out any infections or other bad stuff. Until it starts to coagulate.  Then the body starts to self heal. 

that is why i've never had a tetnus....till my other hand injury last summer. i feel like i was a dumbass letting the doc at the urgent care talk me into it.

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Just as an aside, use pet claw trimmers for zip ties. It's a trick I came up with when I used to run network cables for a living.   It's like they were made for it.

Hope it heals up nicely and you get your feeling back.  On the bright side, chicks dig scars.

my attitude outweighs any scars. i'm still womanless, and don't see that changing any time in the near future, 'cause i've just given up looking.....tired of all the games they play

and i'll try that too for zips in the future. at the shop, i use dikes.......

16 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Better get used to the other hand then

:blush:

13 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

That's the problem then!  Start hanging out with regular women and you will eventually find a nice one!:)

ok. these made me laugh. :D

16 minutes ago, PeteF said:

If you cut the nerve, get used to numbness.  40 years after putting hand through a window, cant feel 1/2 my thumb.

i was looking at different sites through google.......it looks like most likely i got a muscle. the nerve near there seems pretty tiny......

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

dude....i'd be scared pooples(keeping it somewhat clean outta the 1a, lololol) if i had the injury you pictured....

carpet blades will do that.  it didn't hurt initially, but the quantity of blood was spectacular.  I wrapped it with a paper towel as tight as I could, grabbed the roll of packing tape from the wall and cranked wraps down as tight as possible, and drove the mile up the hill to the local urgent care clinic.  you'd think a blood soaked shirt and a thumb with a red watermelon taped on to it would have gotten staff moving a bit spritely, but no.  I must have had it tight enough though as when the attending finally cut off my makeshift bandage, the bleeding wasn't nearly as bad.

Crazy glue and duck tape seal up any wound. Nerves will either grow back or not all surgery does is make the process faster. Keep Fish Mox on hand if you get an infection and have a fever. You can do anything those fancy hospitals can for a fraction of the cost.

25 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Crazy glue and duck tape seal up any wound. Nerves will either grow back or not all surgery does is make the process faster. Keep Fish Mox on hand if you get an infection and have a fever. You can do anything those fancy hospitals can for a fraction of the cost.

funny you mention crazy glue......when i ripped open my right hand last summer, that's essentially what they used at the urgent care. i think it was slightly different as it didn't sting much....but he glued it shut. i've got glue for that here at the shop.

i think that after i re-bandage it, i'm gonna wrap it in an ace bandage too, to limit movement.

11 hours ago, sota said:

This past summer 

83CECA85-86F2-4D86-8E1A-8DED57EAF88B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Jeebus, you guys are poster-children for common sense blade control. 

It happens

Electricians get shocked, carpenters get hammered, plumbers get pooped on, so on and so forth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

It happens

Electricians get shocked, carpenters get hammered, plumbers get pooped on, so on and so forth.

siders get stabbed.  commited seppuku with my utility knife, 2 nights in hospital. got 30-40 stitches in my hands , 5-6 at a time. and yes you feel REAL stupid each time.

• Like 2