usnmars

Do you plan your purchases

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan your purchases or are they impulse buys

• All of the guns are planned, researched, and saved for
    • I plan, but if I see a good deal I snatch it up
    • I never plan on buying, if i see it and like it I got it

I was thinking about purchases, and figured how fellow gun owners are. I typically don't really plan, if it is a good deal I may get it. Heck I actually keep empty cases in my truck for "just in case." The CMP trip however, I was saving for months so I chose option 2. How do you all shop?

I have to plan and save as my firearms purchases are few and funds are limited. I know what I'm going to purchase next and if I see something else, even if it's a good deal, I doubt that I'd go for it. BUT if I all of a sudden got a hold of tons of $$$, maaaaaan, it'd be a shopping spree...

I plan plan plan and PLAN.

When I buy guns online, I dont want to bother spending money on shipping and transfer if I may not like it and waste that $$$. Most of my purchases are "blind", bought online or special ordered without ever having handled one. So I make sure I research the crap out of it.

I try to plan, but it didn't really work out this year. When the year started, I planned to get 1 handgun for non-res ccw and 1 shotgun for HD.

Well, 4 handguns, 3 rifles, and a shotgun later I realized I went a little overboard and over budget. :D

I try to plan, but it didn't really work out this year. When the year started, I planned to get 1 handgun for non-res ccw and 1 shotgun for HD.

Well, 4 handguns, 3 rifles, and a shotgun later I realized I went a little overboard and over budget. :D

Tommy, this sport is contagious!

great post Eric.

I plan most of the core items I want to buy, and I do have a list of things I am on the lookout for... however I have purchased quite a few items that were spur of the moment because they were a really good deal. If I liked it, I kept it, if I didnt, I would sell it, however I wasn't in a rush to.

Other items, such as those you are collecting, you have to be ready at any point if they come in. Such as, if an Israeli Mauser 22LR single shot trainer became available for a reasonable price, I would almost be tempted to buy it sight unseen. Others, I am more cautious of, and would love to see the item in person before buying.

I'm obsessive with planning any type of purchase. Same question 5-6 years ago, and definitely would have been 100% compulsive/impulsive.

There is a point though in my planning though when I realize I should have listened to my initial gut reaction as it usually ends up being right (whether its a good or bad thing).

I have a plan of the "perfect" firearms.. and it usually ends up that i buy crap that i seem to like better on impulse. Then sell it really soon. I've caught Lunkerism... need to move further away! I seem to like the weirder stuff for the most part though. I also keep a fabric case rolled up in my truck for special events :-D

I generally know what I am interested in. If I see a deal, I pull the trigger (pun intended). I've bought on impulse before, but sold one. The one I did the most research on, I sold also.

Bottom line, if it's a Sig, I have thought about it at some point. The wheels on the bus go round and round......................

So far everything I've bought has been carefully researched, planned, and shopped for. I'm pretty bargain savvy regardless of what I'm buying, but I take extra care in making the right decision with big ticket items like firearms. Generally I like to have an intended (practical) purpose for the gun, as well as a certain attraction to it. Of course it is a proportional relationship, so a 10/10 practicality might prompt me to buy a gun I'm not drooling over, and (more likely) vice versa. But I'll probably never go for a gun with a 0 in either category.

Heck....... I look at a gunon line for months before I decide to buy....... Then shop for price till the NJ permits ready to expire. Good ole NJ, I could go to any street corner in Newark an buy a gun in 5 minuite. But being a law abiding citizen and doing it acording to NJ law is harder than getting a Top Secret Government Security clearence.

All of my purchases were made with competitive shooting in mind. So I plan, but when I find a really good deal, I'll jump. Now I am planning my next purchase, but me and Mr. Greenbacks are having issues at the moment.

I planned the M&P 15 for a few months.

The M1897 was planned for about 3 minutes when i saw it on the table at a gun show.

The SKS was planned, i wanted to research them and study them and know what im getting into... but when i saw it at another gun show, impulse took over and i grabbed it.

im planning on a Garand soon, but i know impulse will take over if i see one and ill just buy it.

I plan carefully for the purchase of my guns. Sometimes I spend weeks doing so because in addition to getting as much info as I can, it can take me that long to convince my lovely wife that I REALLY do need that new gun. I usually spend a lot of time online looking at all the forums and manufacturers sites, and do a lot of research. As a result I have a planned collection of guns including handguns, long guns, and shotguns.

Where I am somewhat impulsive is the purchase of accessories and ammunition. I love to keep the safe filled with ammo, and as soon as I get home from the range, I order ammo to replace the ammo just shot. Often I will see sales online (Lucky Gunner)when I order that I just cannot pass up. As a result I end up with more than I just shot....but that is a good thing.

Just recently I ordered the M1 carbine stock, sling with oiler, and tech sights for my 10/22. My intention was to remake the 10/22 that I shot somewhat regularly. After ordering the after market products from E.A. Brown, I got to thinking why cannabilize one of my favorite guns? So I rode up to my favorite gun shop (Lawmen Supply) and purchased another 10/22.....that was somewhat impulsive as I bought the gun within about 4 hours of deciding to do so.

FYI, the stock arrived on Thursday last, took me all of 20 minutes to rebuild the 10/22, and I could not be happier with the way it looks, just fantastic! I can't wait to shoot it so I can try and zero in the new sights.

IJust recently I ordered the M1 carbine stock, sling with oiler, and tech sights for my 10/22. My intention was to remake the 10/22 that I shot somewhat regularly. After ordering the after market products from E.A. Brown, I got to thinking why cannabilize one of my favorite guns? So I rode up to my favorite gun shop (Lawmen Supply) and purchased another 10/22.....that was somewhat impulsive as I bought the gun within about 4 hours of deciding to do so.

FYI, the stock arrived on Thursday last, took me all of 20 minutes to rebuild the 10/22, and I could not be happier with the way it looks, just fantastic! I can't wait to shoot it so I can try and zero in the new sights.

Pics of both please?