mikeyboyeee

Favorite small .380?

Next purchase I am looking for something small and concealable.

Thinking possibly .380 (altho would really like to stick with 9mm).

Was going to look at the gen 4 G19 for 9mm, but I shot a gen 3 like sh!t, so there goes that idea.

What's everyone's fav small .380 (budget being a concern as always)

If you are thinking PPK/S - think Sig P232 instead.

Since most of the bugs have been worked out, I hear good things about the P238.

You may want to wait (although it could be a good long while) until Sig brings out the P290 - you should also wait until that has been proven in the field also.

I have a SS Kahr MK9 which, sizewise, is great, but it is heavy - reliable, but heavy. I opted for that rather than the PM9 because my research at the time led me to believe that your chances of getting a PM9 without issues was about 50/50 - don't know if that's still true.

For a "Get the f#*k off me" gun I have a Ruger LCP. No fun to shoot (it hurts), and rudimentary sights, at best, but for contact distance it's fine. Very light and I literally forget I have it with me at times (not good when you are traveling in legal states but live in NJ - if you know what I mean).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have Walther PPKS in .380 which I love, but if budget is a concern you might want to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a concealable pistol in the realm of a .380, you might want to consider a Makarov. Small, affordable, accurate, and the Makarov 9mm ammo does not suffer the same supply issues as the .380

I've shot the Bersa and liked it a lot. It's not as small as the LCP, which is pretty toylike in my opinion.

I've been eying the new Smith Bodyguard semi in .380, with integrated laser. Looks nice in pictures, but haven't fondled one yet.

My reply to this thread is totally predictable. I carried a GLOCK G26 all last week. Was real comfortable in a paddle holster. Now you guys know I'm 5'11" and 170# so clothes lay pretty baggy on me. Concealability was so good I may give carrying a G19 a shot. I'm much more comfortable w/ a 9 vs a 380. If I was absolutely pushed into a 380 I would go w/ an a LCP. If you must have a "pimp gun" might as well be REAL small. Only thing with any 380, for some reason, you have to prove reliability with your carry ammo.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

I really like my Bersa Thunder 380. It's in great shape and I haven't had a single issue with it! Can't beat the price for a reliable firearm either. I got it for $200 used. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you have an out-of-state CCW license - It's a great CCW gun.

Bersa 380 hi-cap (15rds). If it comes to it, might as well make small but many holes:icon_mrgreen:

My wife has one waiting at TJ's ... reverse dual tone. Looks like this, but with wrap-around rubber grips.

Bers308ThunDuo.jpg

I have Bersa 380 and while I like the gun overall it failed 3 times and required warranty service for a very same reason - faulty disconnector spring.

I could understand if it happens once... but 3 times is too much for a gun you may use in self-defense.

So, do your research before you buy!

So predictable..... :) like I should talk.

I have a Browning BDA .380, it was actually my first handgun. I have had it since 1985 and it has always been a pleasure. The only issue I had was polishing the feed ramp to feed hollow points smoother. Very accurate and durable.

Can you post a pic? I know Sig made some browning bda's back in the day. I would like to see what it looks like.

I love my Kahr P380, really smooth DAO trigger and very well built.

I also the the PPK (S&W version). That thing is not fun to shoot! hurts like hell and the first DA pull is ridiculously heavy. the tang also cuts my hand. The Sig 232 is a much better alternative.

I have Bersa 380 and while I like the gun overall it failed 3 times and required warranty service for a very same reason - faulty disconnector spring.

I could understand if it happens once... but 3 times is too much for a gun you may use in self-defense.

So, do your research before you buy!

It's surprising you had that experience ...

I did more research and checked out reviews of the thunder plus and most of them are quite positive, in fact had a hard time looking for complaints. It's not an expensive gun, so will give it a go and report back in about a month ...

The browning BDA 380 is just a beautiful gun. I had liked one on GB, but the bidding up just went crazy ... finally it sold for $750!

Here's one new on GB for $699.

pix334394645.jpg

The Beretta 84/85 looks very similar to the Browning, except the open top barrel ... there appears to be some connection between Beretta/FNH and Browning?

pix574035089.jpg

if you are going to go up to the BDA size guns, I would not hesitate to get a Magnum research Baby Eagle 45 in sub compact size. all steel gun, granted a tad heavier... but a pleasure to shoot, based on CZ design, 10 rounds of 45.

The Beretta 84/85 looks very similar to the Browning, except the open top barrel ... there appears to be some connection between Beretta/FNH and Browning?

pix574035089.jpg

Do all beretta handguns have that safety warning stuff stamped on the slide?

I hope not, coz if it does i would never buy one (even though I really want a 92FS).

if you are going to go up to the BDA size guns, I would not hesitate to get a Magnum research Baby Eagle 45 in sub compact size. all steel gun, granted a tad heavier... but a pleasure to shoot, based on CZ design, 10 rounds of 45.

or a compact 9mm, i have the taurus version of the BDA's reason for buying was it's larger frame size..

I also the the PPK (S&W version). That thing is not fun to shoot! hurts like hell and the first DA pull is ridiculously heavy. the tang also cuts my hand.

Was that the regular PPK or PPK/S? I think the S&W models of the PPK/S have an extended boattail so that it won't cut your hand.

Aside from the amount of stories of bad guys picking .380 rounds out of their leather jackets, heres mine. Buddy bought a .40 and a .380. After I was done breaking his balls over the .380 we went to the range. I have some steel plates that were literaly cut out of the side of a battle ship. They were 1" thick by 10" circles. I stood them up in the dirt nothing holding them. I shoot one with my 45, wham the plat goes over with authority. My buddy draws a bead and pulls the trigger.....plink. Didnt even knock the friggen plat over. It couldnt nock free standing plates over. Thats all I will ever need to know about a .380. Now before someone jumps on me about the single 22 short that killed a bus load of escaped felons and a few ninjas,dont bother, I know shot placement and a little luck are king but I will never carry a .22 or .380. In my mind the minimum power floor is a 9. I just dont see any benefit going below that.

• Like 1