Old Glock guy

Not exactly another "What should I get next?" thread

I currently have a Glock 23 and a Glock 19. I'll finally be picking up my Beretta 92A1 on Wednesday, after a couple of glitches. That will leave me with one P2P. I would like to get something that's fun to shoot, but also has some value for HD/SD, so not a .22 HG. (I already have a couple of .22 rifles, and they're a blast.)

I'm pretty sure I don't want a revolver right now, although fans of the wheelguns can feel free to advise me of some of their merits that I might be overlooking. Thought about adding another Glock to the line-up, or perhaps going with something classic, like one of the 1911's.

Anyway, while thinking it all through, I've become smitten with the S&W M&P. The fact that it's a S&W is appealing. Plus it has a nice look and discussion of it seems to be universally favorable. So after all that, my question is what caliber to get? A 9mm or .40 S&W would simplify my ammo situation, since I have tons of both. Although, I should note that the G23 is not much fun to shoot, so it would probably be either 9mm or .45 ACP. I understand that the latter ammo is considerably pricier, but it is a good round for HD/SD, so perhaps I should round out my collection with something in that caliber. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I don't want a revolver right now, although fans of the wheelguns can feel free to advise me of some of their merits that I might be overlooking.

I have said numerous times here and in other places a 4" 357 is about the best all around gun you can get. No semiauto has a selection of power loadings as a 357 from 38 wadcutters to full magnums available commercially. Its not too big to conceal but big enough to shoot well. If you master a the trigger on a DA revolver, everything else is easy. I'd look at a GP100 or S&W L-frame.

M&P is a fine handgun and is gaining HUGE momentum with aftermarket parts galore.

Heh, or buy an older pre-lock Smith and Wesson 686 Revolver in 4 inch and then you have no need for aftermarket parts galore :)

Heh, or buy an older pre-lock Smith and Wesson 686 Revolver in 4 inch and then you have no need for aftermarket parts galore :)

And then you can enjoy a long and heavy double-action pull, limited round capacity and reloads that can be measured with the tides. :)

The old revolver vs. semi auto held water a while ago, but now there are semi's that are just as reliable as wheel guns.

And then you can enjoy a long and heavy double-action pull, limited round capacity and reloads that can be measured with the tides. :)

The old revolver vs. semi auto held water a while ago, but now there are semi's that are just as reliable as wheel guns.

Quickest tide I ever saw...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My first was a SA 1911, second was a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel, third was a S&W 625 (.45ACP), fourth was a 96FS INOX. Out of all of those, I LOVE the revolvers the most! After buying nothing but metal guns I don't know if I will try a plastic gun or not. Was looking at the FN .45 double stack, but may get a S&W 460XVR instead.

As far as HD, I think a shotgun is the best first weapon for that, followed-up by a handgun after you empty the five shells.

I'm pretty sure I don't want a revolver right now, although fans of the wheelguns can feel free to advise me of some of their merits that I might be overlooking.

I have said numerous times here and in other places a 4" 357 is about the best all around gun you can get. No semiauto has a selection of power loadings as a 357 from 38 wadcutters to full magnums available commercially. Its not too big to conceal but big enough to shoot well. If you master a the trigger on a DA revolver, everything else is easy. I'd look at a GP100 or S&W L-frame.

+1

I wasn't going to actually comment but I guess I just couldn't resist.

I can shoot my revolvers more accurately than I can shoot my semi-auto's and that's with shooting revolvers in DA. It doesn't take long to get use to it, and if you own a quality revolver you will soon realize where the break is in the trigger and you can hold it right before it breaks for as long as you want and keep the gun just standing there steady as can be. A 686 or a 625 will give you 6 rounds of enough stopping power to stop anything. If you need more than 6 rounds in a HD situation, you got bigger problems on your hands. In any HD situation, you are aiming for one clean shot b/c outside of that every time you pull the trigger your putting other people in the house in danger.

As has been said in the past, and will continue to be said, you can not beat a revolver for an all around multipurpose gun. And I can load up some .38 semi-wadcutters that act like .22's if I'm just messing around and I can load up some .357 mags that will create a pressure wave that'll blow a hole straight there an object bigger than any bullet head is going to manage to do.

I don't understand why it has to be able to be used for HD if you already have numerous pistols that can be used for HD. Stick with using what you already have and have shot for a HD pistol. If you are looking at something to shoot for fun, I strongly recommend a .22LR. You said your .22 rifles are a blast, well a .22 pistol will be too! And they are cheap to shoot. I wouldn't leave this option out. You have 3 capable pistols for defense already.

Ruger MK II or MK III

Browning Buckmark

S&W 22A

I don't understand why it has to be able to be used for HD if you already have numerous pistols that can be used for HD. Stick with using what you already have and have shot for a HD pistol. If you are looking at something to shoot for fun, I strongly recommend a .22LR. You said your .22 rifles are a blast, well a .22 pistol will be too! And they are cheap to shoot. I wouldn't leave this option out. You have 3 capable pistols for defense already.

Ruger MK II or MK III

Browning Buckmark

S&W 22A

Add a GSG1911 too.

I'll throw my $.02 in....

I have a Gen4 G23 and an M&P40. Recoil signature is very similar...that is to say, the .40 just isn't a fun round to shoot. While I like the M&P, it doesn't fit my hand as perfectly as I would think, considering it comes w/ 3 backstraps to play with. Actually, I find the midsized Glocks (especially, the Gen4) fit my hands better. OTOH, the M&P45 fits my hand like a glove. The M&P45 is very high up on my list of pistols I'd like to shoot.

Sticking purely w/ 9mm and .40

.40 - As mentioned, the .40 is well known as a snappy round. The only pistols I've fired it in where I thought it was close to enjoyable were metal framed pistols. I have a CZ75SA in .40 and the .40 is not bad in that pistol. Also, my buddy has a couple of Sig P229's. That, along w/ the P226, are the nicest pistols I've fired a .40 out of. The extra weight helps negate some of the snap of the .40. Having said all of that, I'm really hot on someday getting a Glock 35....in my mind, the ideal .40 pistol.

9mm - Wow, lots to choose from here. HK P30/P2000/USP© are high in my book. Excellent accuracy and reliablity/durability. Sig P226/P228/P229, all excellent and accurate 9mm's. Surprisingly, the CZ75/85/P-01 9mm's are very very accurate pistols. At least on the CZ75 .40 I have, while accuracy is excellent, quality of construction is a little crude. HK P7/M8, extremely accurate pistol, but it does have it's quirks. The P7 should be able to be picked up for between $550-$650 as a German police trade in. It has a recoil signature like nothing else. M&P 9, mentioned because S&W actually produces 15rnd mags for this pistol, unlike Glock w/ the G17. I should say here, that while I do like the M&P, I don't think it is quite fully evolved yet. Others may disagree w/ me on this, but I think S&W still has a bit to go. I understand new manufacture pistols are supposed to be pretty well sorted out though. 9mm's that I lust over.... HK P9/S, Steyr GB, HK P7M8, Sig P210.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

A while back I had the opportunity to pick up a Python for a reasonable price. I had to jump on it simply because I think that gun is a piece of art.

There was no practical reasoning behind that purchase :icon_mrgreen:

Although in all likelihood it will appreciate over the years.

+2 on this, its perfect, versital, its like having 2 guns in one! .38 special/357 mag. revolver thats what your missing! play around with one, you will like it just make sure you got a hogue grip for those magnum loads your gonna need it, especially if its a snubbie like i have! ouch!

I personally feel the m&p40 recoils less than the g23. That is my opinion and the m&p fits my hand better than the g23, so that makes a difference.

Definitely agree that hand fit is going to make the difference here. For me, the texture of the M&P is way too slippery to get a consistent hold shot to shot. I find myself resetting my grip after just about every shot. Also, it's hard to explain, but the very high hold grip on the backstrap doesn't flow w/ the front strap. The area under the trigger doesn't place my middle finger in a good position. Have to really give the nod to the Gen4 Glocks on their texture. My hand does not slip at all from shot to shot when shooting the G4 G23.

As mentioned, individual hand geometry will be the deciding factor here.

ETA - Was doing sight presentations w/ a G3 G19 and the M&P40 last night. The M&P does come to line of sight a bit easier.

All right, I can make my next HG purchase in a week or so. I've got it narrowed down to the S&W M&P, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with it in 9mm. Also, I'm leaning toward the full-sized vs. the compact, since there's no hope of carrying with it in the foreseeable future.

But even at that, it looks like there are about a dozen variations. Any thoughts about deciding among them? 7-3-2, which one to do you have, and do you still love it?

Of the ones I tried out when comparing with the Glocks, I liked the M&P Pro the best. 5" barrel giving increased sight lines and helping the accuracy plus it is the next step up from standard production line models with fiber optic green front sights and reduced glare rear sights. It had a nice smooth trigger pull

SKU: 178010

That model #178010 does indeed look nice, with its slightly longer barrel, smooth trigger, and better sights. Sadly, I have been informed, both by S&W and by a local dealer, that we cannot own it in NJ because it comes with a 17 round mag. I believe that factoring in NJ compliance gets me down to just one model in 9mm full-sized, so at least the decision becomes easier.

Smith & Wesson 686 with 4" or 6" barrel. Handles .357 mag/.38 special/.38 +p. Both 6 and 7 shot models available.

and, or

Browning HP 9mm. NJ legal 13 round capacity.

As an added bonus both are from steel.

So buy it and ditch the 17 rounders and buy 15 rounders. The M&P 9MM Pro is a great gun and not only a fiber optic sight but also an inproved sear.

I wish it were that easy. Another call to S&W yielded the same result: impossible to get the Pro model shipped to NJ, due soley to the larger mags. They said the best I could do was to buy one of the other models and modify it.

So now I'm pretty hot on the M&P, my P2P expires in five days, and they don't seem to be available anywhere in north Jersey. Looks like I'm going to have to file for an extension and keep looking around.

Smith & Wesson 686 with 4" or 6" barrel. Handles .357 mag/.38 special/.38 +p. Both 6 and 7 shot models available.

and, or

Browning HP 9mm. NJ legal 13 round capacity.

As an added bonus both are from steel.

MecGar makes 15rd mags for the BHP. I have 5 and all work flawlessly.

I wish it were that easy. Another call to S&W yielded the same result: impossible to get the Pro model shipped to NJ, due soley to the larger mags. They said the best I could do was to buy one of the other models and modify it.

So now I'm pretty hot on the M&P, my P2P expires in five days, and they don't seem to be available anywhere in north Jersey. Looks like I'm going to have to file for an extension and keep looking around.

Just an FYI. I saw the M&P 40 Pro w/green fiber optics front sights at the NJ Firearms Guild in Rahway. Seems like a bunch of nice guys there.

Also, I ordered a new model from Rock Island Armory from TJ Sporting Arms but I am having second thoughts since I want a backup gun for USPSA and don't feel like dealing with the permit process. I never took posession of the firearm and Tony has it at TJ's. The gun is a 1911 Single Stack .45 acp with a full rail. Here is a link from a person's post who received one during the first batch of deliveries.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=318999

Let me know if you're interested as I am willing to let this go for $500. I haven't finalized my decision yet but if you let me know, I can pretty much make up my mind quickly.

Ryan