this_is_nascar

Why Pistols Over Long Guns?

Still being somewhat a newbie here, I seems pretty clear to me that the majority of folks are more into pistols and hand-guns as opposed to long-guns and shotguns. I was wondering why that is. It's easier and less stressful to acquire and a transport a long-gun, you can purchase the long-gun as many times as you want, without a delay and without a permit for each purchase.

That being the case, why the extra love for the pistol instead of the rifle (unless I've really came to an incorrect conclusion)?

I have no proof other than annecdotal evidence from my circle of friends and other gun owners I know, but I think it's completely in the other direction actually (ie most people have more long guns than handguns). I think handguns get more talk here because they are harder to get so you have to be more careful what you buy when the calendar dings every 30 days.

Probably the numbers are skewed, my take is we have many more vocal members that shoot USPSA, Steel, IDPA, OBRAMS etc, we have more topics on these activities, and more chatter in these topics. There are probably as many long guns vs hand guns that it appears.

I know I haven't really thought about it before, but when I count my guns, I have more long guns then hand guns, darn OGAM crap.

That being the case, why the extra love for the pistol instead of the rifle (unless I've really came to an incorrect conclusion)?

I don't have any data to support it, but I get that vibe too.

Being new to the state (about 1 year) and only having had my FID for 5 months (during which time I've bought 3 handguns) I'll hazard a guess: I'm 30 minutes from either Bullethole or Bayonne, and I can easily get to either on a week night. I'm an hour plus from any outdoor range, which pretty much nixes that, given how other hobbies take up my weekends. I've only had my shotguns out once since I moved up here... so that's why I'm shooting handguns much more these days, even though I own more long guns.

I don't have a preference, though. Target shooting is just fun.

Most new gun owners, will buy a handgun.

Then.... they will end up buying a few more handguns, say up to 5, then discover rifles... and buy a ton of those.

However... my handguns still get shot more than rifles. easier, more convenient.

Past year, I have shot countless pistol matches, and only 2 rifle matches (cmp garand). I do however own more rifles than handguns.

Rifles for me, are at least... 3 or so purpose built... AR, 22 plinker, bolt action precision . The rest are all collectibles.

Handguns... are a big mix, collectibles, shooters, plinkers, etc. As a result of the permit system... I am less likely to sell a handgun I purchase, I used a permit on.

Edit: Also because crazy people at most NJ ranges will not let you run and gun with a rifle.

Edited by Maksim

I own more pistols then I do shotguns and rifles but I enjoy all types of firearms personally, but most people buy a handgun because its versatility in personal defense and its usability. However living in jersey it may not sit the same since hand guns are alot harder to do the paperwork for and its easier to get a long gun.

The pistol variety of firearm afficianados seem to be more vocal!

Seriously though, like it says a few times above, its easier to shoot handguns in this state. Most clubs have limits on rifles and very few if any have a high power indoor range.

I personally prefer long guns. I only wish there was a good 1000 yard range anywhere closer than 3 hours away. At least I am fortunate enough to have a private farm range that is only 5 minutes away where we made a nice 100yard range with a 20' dirt backstop.

Ken

Handguns get talked up because most here like to shoot. This being NJ, and the price fo realestate being what it is, it's a lot easier to find places to shoot a handgun than a long gun. I'm running about 50-50 on the mix, but you'll mostly see me talk about handgun shooting.

Handguns get talked up because most here like to shoot. This being NJ, and the price fo realestate being what it is, it's a lot easier to find places to shoot a handgun than a long gun. I'm running about 50-50 on the mix, but you'll mostly see me talk about handgun shooting.

Good point!

I agree.

I don't enjoy handguns much. I actually don't even own one at this point, just shotguns and rifles. That being said, it IS a bit tougher to find a suitable place to shoot a long gun around here, whether you're talking about a long, outdoor range for a rifle or a trap/skeet/sporting clays facility for shotguns. At least in North Jersey, where I am. I guess it's a little easier to drive into PA or find a good outdoor range if you're in the Southwestern part of the state.

I do agree with the OP, though. The shotgun section on this site receives a LOT less traffic than the handgun section, in my opinion. Wish that would change, since shotguns are what I enjoy talking about. I don't have much to bring to the handgun conversation.

I'd love to talk more shotgun, but I get the impression that a shotgun is something that everyone gets, practices every once in awhile and then sets it in the corner hoping they'll never have to use it for the intended purpose. At least for me, that's the extent of my Remington 870 Express Tactical. I shoot it every other month or so and I can hit my target with precision accuracy at close range. That's pretty much all there is for me to speak about as it relates to that shotgun, other than if I ever have to use it someday. I hope that will never be the case.

Along with the reasonings based on availability (to both the hardware and places to utilize them), I think it's also a matter of definition.

On this forum specifically, we clump all handguns together under the umbrella term. Whereas with shotguns and rifles they are broken down further into their own respective sections, at least with rifles.

To explain further, all types of firearms have their niche following. Since handguns are all clumped together when referred to, it could explain the higher rate of discussion and disclosure. As handgun afficiondos, though niche communities respectively, are often represented as a collective. This is compared to rifle owners who, for example, would never want to be referred to as or be clumped into the same group with others (like the AR vs. AK communities which have laborous, contentious and pointless arguments when comparing). I'm not saying that handgun owners don't feel these contentious feelings, but it is not as apparent or as much of a dividing issue.

I'm sure if we took the discussion further both here on the forum and in other environments (like face-to-face discussion), we could, and have from my experience, break the handgun discussion into subtopics such as semi-automatics, revolvers, milsurp, competition, 1911, etc. In that case, I think the discussion in some sub topics would be greater than others, but the division would cause a substantial drop in overall discussion (and is the reason why there are, of course, specialty forums for example). I think it would also either balance out the discussion or even tip the discussion in favor for long guns.

All of this of course pertains to this forum specifically, but also the greater discussion of firearms ownership in NJ as a whole.

• Like 1

Along with the reasonings based on availability (to both the hardware and places to utilize them), I think it's also a matter of definition.

On this forum specifically, we clump all handguns together under the umbrella term. Whereas with shotguns and rifles they are broken down further into their own respective sections, at least with rifles.

To explain further, all types of firearms have their niche following. Since handguns are all clumped together when referred to, it could explain the higher rate of discussion and disclosure. As handgun afficiondos, though niche communities respectively, are often represented as a collective. This is compared to rifle owners who, for example, would never want to be referred to as or be clumped into the same group with others (like the AR vs. AK communities which have laborous, contentious and pointless arguments when comparing). I'm not saying that handgun owners don't feel these contentious feelings, but it is not as apparent or as much of a dividing issue.

I'm sure if we took the discussion further both here on the forum and in other environments (like face-to-face discussion), we could, and have from my experience, break the handgun discussion into subtopics such as semi-automatics, revolvers, milsurp, competition, 1911, etc. In that case, I think the discussion in some sub topics would be greater than others, but the division would cause a substantial drop in overall discussion (and is the reason why there are, of course, specialty forums for example). I think it would also either balance out the discussion or even tip the discussion in favor for long guns.

All of this of course pertains to this forum specifically, but also the greater discussion of firearms ownership in NJ as a whole.

+1. That's probably the most in-depth answer you're going to get.

Though I have and enjoy shooting both, I have more rifles than pistols, and I like shooting rifles significantly more.

Now I am not sure if the OP's observation is in fact correct, but I also noticed the same thing. It seems like there are more posts about people buying new pistols than there are about long guns. That certainly doesn't mean that people are buying more handguns, but it seems that way.