this_is_nascar

Discovery Channel Kills Bear

Thank God, this idiot is finally off the air. It wasn't the fact that he drank his own piss for no reason that got to me, but more so the fact he'd put himself up in a hotel while he was supposed to be staying in the wilderness all night. It's about time the Discovery channel took this moron off the air.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=1f98f988-1be5-44c1-8873-324884ba9fd4

There were numerous times he almost died I have alot of respect for the guy, he was basically demonstrating what people should know to survive. He put himself through alot, if after the cameras stopped rolling he went to a hotel thats ok. He still drank piss, ate bugs and climbed mountain sides with nothing but his hands more bad a** then most people here I am sure.

• Like 2

I like Les Stroud/Survivorman better.

Me too. I enjoyed Survivorman 1000x more, too bad he stopped doing the show. Les Stroud went out there alone and carried his own video gear and shot all the video. Plus he's so much nicer and not douchey.

Me too. I enjoyed Survivorman 1000x more, too bad he stopped doing the show. Les Stroud went out there alone and carried his own video gear and shot all the video. Plus he's so much nicer and not douchey.

Les is also an accomplished musician and author. The main reason he stopped doing Survivorman is because he almost died during one of the episodes and the show was truly taking a a toll on his body.

Thank God, this idiot is finally off the air. It wasn't the fact that he drank his own piss for no reason that got to me, but more so the fact he'd put himself up in a hotel while he was supposed to be staying in the wilderness all night. It's about time the Discovery channel took this moron off the air.

http://social.entert...73-324884ba9fd4

I don't think he ever had to stay in the wilderness to do his show. His show was about teaching techniques in realistic situations. I liked it because it was well-done, and learned a thing or two there.

Les Stroud showed people how to safely survive in the wild. Bear just made an action packed tv show, if a normal person were lost in the woods jumping off a cliff is usually not the best method. He did some very dangerous stunts that made for exciting tv but bad survival awareness.

• Like 1

There were numerous times he almost died I have alot of respect for the guy, he was basically demonstrating what people should know to survive. He put himself through alot, if after the cameras stopped rolling he went to a hotel thats ok. He still drank piss, ate bugs and climbed mountain sides with nothing but his hands more bad a** then most people here I am sure.

Oh please. You want to have respect for anyone, have respect for the cameramen that followed him while he was doing all his dumb-a** stuff. The cameramen did every stunt that this idiot did and they were carrying................................... well, a camera and gear. :)

I think of the comparison of Man vs. Wild/Bear Grylls and Survivorman/Les Stroud similar to how I would think of Mindfreak/Criss Angel and say, Fool Us/Penn and Teller, or the original Street Magic/David Blaine (not his more recent stuff).

The first group had some exciting stuff but relied on both camera editing and in some cases, complete fabrication. I'm talking stuff like where Grylls would say the only way out was across this gorge, and jump it, yet actually, if the camera were to just pan out you could see he could walk around the thing. It was cool to watch, but totally untruthful. That is similar to Criss Angel making a claim and doing something that looks neat, but is a camera trick and the 'audience' are paid extras/actors.

On the other hand, Survivorman was some cool stuff, and Les Stroud was upfront about what he was doing and what was going on, similar to how Penn and Teller would straight up tell you (and sometimes show you) what they are doing, and do honest tricks (no paid audience, no camera tricks). Sometimes it doesn't translate to a TV show as well.

This:

is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7tazXp2Pfo

where this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeR3hHnEVoY

is like this:

• Like 1

Survivorman was infinitely better. Glad to hear it's coming back.

Dual Survival is pretty good IMHO, altho I'm slightly biased because I was a fan of both Dave Cantebury and Cody Lundin before the show came out.

Dual survival I like. I also like another show that I cant think the name of it. They taught you how to survive in an urban setting with things to look for etc. I remember one episode that he hooked up a CB in a building and made bio-diesel and got out of dodge in a surburban. Cant think of the name though.

I also like another show that I cant think the name of it. They taught you how to survive in an urban setting with things to look for etc. I remember one episode that he hooked up a CB in a building and made bio-diesel and got out of dodge in a surburban. Cant think of the name though.

MacGyver?

Dual survival I like. I also like another show that I cant think the name of it. They taught you how to survive in an urban setting with things to look for etc. I remember one episode that he hooked up a CB in a building and made bio-diesel and got out of dodge in a surburban. Cant think of the name though.

Stuck with hacket maybe? Although I don't remember that one, so it might not be.

Apocalypse Man

• Like 1

apocalypse man was a single show special. it was interesting, but he did alot of things you of course shouldnt. throwing a crowbar across an open drawbridge and swinging across? running everywhere? its not so easy to simply wander around, find a CB, hook it up to a recorded loop and broadcast forever.

he also didnt make bio-diesel. he poured pure used cooking oil into an old diesel suburban. he at least made the remark that its NOT real bio-diesel, and while it MAY actually run, it wont run well or for long. he made the caveat of saying it may be good enough to get him the 50 miles to the 'evac zone' or wherever it was he was going to.

it would have been just as informative and more realistic if he explained how any home heating oil IS diesel, and can be siphoned out of a tank and poured directly into any diesel engine, and have it run just as good as if it came from the pump.