silverado427

Father accidentally shoots son

Man this breaks my heart, I can't even begin to imagine. I have five and seven year old boys, I don't think I could live with myself if I ever caused either of them any harm like that. They would have to put me in the same hole.

I had a discussion with Dougy at Shore Shot last week. Apparently someone was complaining about him being too cautious on the range. Now I've known him for something like 15 years and know he can get a little flaked out on occasion but I never heard of someone shooting themselves or someone else because they were too safe with their firearms and the way they handled them.

Thousands of kids drown in a bath tub or swimming pool every year. Firearms accidents are a very small cause of accidental deaths in children.

That being said... How do we train people in firearms safety? Make it mandatory? I think not, because I don’t want to see more government involvement.

How about we enforce stiff penalties on those involved in accidents, other than their self imposed emotional pain. This may compel people to get voluntary training without affecting their Constitutional Rights.

Your thoughts… And yes, my heart goes out to this family over this tragedy.

How about we enforce stiff penalties on those involved in accidents, other than their self imposed emotional pain.

Your thoughts…

He lost his son, I think anything after that would be torture for him and the family.

Negligence & carelessness. It does serve to remind me to double check then check again and always have things cased when moving them.

Mark Twain got it a hunert-30 years ago--

Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.

- Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882

Thousands of kids drown in a bath tub or swimming pool every year. Firearms accidents are a very small cause of accidental deaths in children. That being said... How do we train people in firearms safety? Make it mandatory? I think not, because I don’t want to see more government involvement. How about we enforce stiff penalties on those involved in accidents, other than their self imposed emotional pain. This may compel people to get voluntary training without affecting their Constitutional Rights. Your thoughts… And yes, my heart goes out to this family over this tragedy.

Wow, at some point there needs to be a line drawn where an accident is truly an accident. There should absolutely be some sort of firearms safety taught in schools just like sex education. I'm not suggesting we bring back rifle teams or instruct how to fire guns but especially in the blue-state libtard nations someone needs to teach people proper safe handling rules or at a minimum an Eddie Eagle style don’t touch campaign; you know the drill, if it saves the life of just one child it's worth it.

My father was a Vietnam era Marine and a police officer in Essex county. He taught me to shoot when I was about 7 years old at a range under a uniform store on Scotland Rd. in Orange; he drilled safety into me at every step of the process. There were two guns in the house, both loaded at all times and in his bedroom. I was told never touch them unless it was a life or death emergency and if I ever wanted to see them or shoot them I had to ask him and he promised he would always make time for me.

I didn’t understand how important this was until I was in my teens at a friend’s house. His liberal parents always shielded him from firearms. One day while I was at his house after school, he walked in holding his father’s 9mm, to show me how “cool” it was, finger on the trigger and all. I told him to put the gun away before he shot one of us or I was going home. Where he was fascinated and curious, I could have cared less, and knew he was going to hurt one of us if he didn’t stop or I didn’t leave. That night at dinner, I told my father what he had done and what a dumb-ass he was. My father simply said to me that is why he taught me how to handle firearms when I was so young, to expose me to them, remove my curiosity, to drill safety into me and keep me safe around them. At that moment it clicked and I learned how important it is for children to be exposed to the safe handling of firearms.

This brings me to the thought that there are no "accidents" in this world, gun related or other. Someone is responsible, either negligently or purposely. NJ MVC final figured that one out years ago.

That's tragic what happened in Pennsylvania.

There were two hunting fatalities in New York state, one just last week. (Something I still cannot comprehend after all these years.)

http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/121129992

http://www.news10.co...n-warren-county

This brings me to the thought that there are no "accidents" in this world, gun related or other. Someone is responsible, either negligently or purposely. NJ MVC final figured that one out years ago.

My point was, accidents happen. As much as you train and try to be 100% safe in all you do there may come a time when you have that senior moment you will regret and relive for the rest of your life. Can any penalty man devises be as severe as living with the guilt of having caused the death of your child? At some point it is nothing more than dog piling.

My point was, accidents happen. As much as you train and try to be 100% safe in all you do there may come a time when you have that senior moment you will regret and relive for the rest of your life. Can any penalty man devises be as severe as living with the guilt of having caused the death of your child? At some point it is nothing more than dog piling.
accident is guy drops the gun and it freakishly goes off. Negligence is guy going to put his gun away with finger on the trigger. Was it the dad's intentions to shoot and kill his son? I highly doubt it. Do I feel bad for the guy and family? Yes. Should he be charged with something? I believe so, Not saying lock him up and throw away the key but you can not let something like this slide. If you do it opens the doors for people to find "accidental" ways of killing others.

It is tragic but I could not even imagine not knowing a firearm had a round in the chamber. It is the easiest thing in the world to check and I will check mine three times before I put them away. Hell, I even check two or three times when I take them back out. Not knowing it was loaded is the stupidest excuse there is. Now it has cost this man dearly knowing he shot his son because he was to dam stupid to check his gun.

I just dont get it. Treat every gun as if it where loaded and this would never have happened.

Ken

It is tragic but I could not even imagine not knowing a firearm had a round in the chamber. It is the easiest thing in the world to check and I will check mine three times before I put them away. Hell, I even check two or three times when I take them back out. Not knowing it was loaded is the stupidest excuse there is. Now it has cost this man dearly knowing he shot his son because he was to dam stupid to check his gun.

I just dont get it. Treat every gun as if it where loaded and this would never have happened.

Ken

People make fun of me but even if I watch you clear a weapon before you hand it to me I re check it, it was how I was taught. I always check a pistol or revolver and either lock the slide back or leave the cylinder open before handing someone a weapon butt first. This was drilled into me relentlessly when I was younger. Some people were never so thoroughly instructed I guess. Very sadly.

Thousands of kids drown in a bath tub or swimming pool every year. Firearms accidents are a very small cause of accidental deaths in children.

That being said... How do we train people in firearms safety? Make it mandatory? I think not, because I don’t want to see more government involvement.

How about we enforce stiff penalties on those involved in accidents, other than their self imposed emotional pain. This may compel people to get voluntary training without affecting their Constitutional Rights.

Your thoughts… And yes, my heart goes out to this family over this tragedy.

Actually, I believe firearms training should be taught in schools from a young age. First, on what to do when a child finds a firearm (don't touch, tell an adult), to handling and shooting one. In the long run, you help train folks and demystify guns in one shot.

Punishment... No punishment is going to replace the grief a father or mother goes through after an accident like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you believe in accidents at all??? I thought I went with the only reason it could be called an "accident"

There is a school of thinking that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. There are only negligent discharges. If you follow the holy trinity of gun rules accidents don't happen.

Always point a gun in a safe direction

Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot (sights on a target, finger on the trigger and not before)

Always keep a gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.

Follow all three and this kid does t get shot in the chest. Don't follow them and you are negligent.

This is a school of thinking. I try to subscribe to that school of thinking.

These situations are all negligence. I read an article titled; "Casual familiarity breeds negligent discharges." That statement pretty much sums up what happens. (The article was an editorial highlighting the negiligent discharges at a couple of gun shows in 2012.)

You don't "accidently" draw a bead on your buddy through your rifle scope and drill him in the arm or leg. You don't accidently shoot at some bushes because you "heard" a turkey calling. (Some fellow shot my uncle's friend in Maryland some years ago this way. He took a load of #2's to his face as he was turkey calling by some guy who had snuck onto the property after hearing the 'turkey' calling, then shot into the bushes at the 'turkey.' He died. The largest shot size you can use for turkey in Maryland now is #4.) The 18 year-old kid killed in Shelby, N.Y. last year took a shotgun blast to his face, after the shotgun he had leaned on a tree while he and a friend were resting fell to the ground and discharged. Every one of these situations was labeled an accident, thanks to negligence.