wooly bugger

best way to get my wife into handguns?

When you find out please let me know. I am a new shooter and when I told my wife my plans she said if I bring a gun into the house I should plan for a divorce. After a few weeks she came around a little but said she did not want to see it or know about it. We now call the range my "gym". So when she asked what I did today I tell her I went to the gym. I am hoping to with time get her to at least handle it (unloaded) and then see if I can get her to come to the "gym" one day.

set her and a friend or sister, cousin, in-law whatever for a basic pistol class "without you"! me and my brother in-law have been trying for years to get the girls to the range and never could. But we set them up with a classroom learning environment then they got to shoot. they loved it and are more willing to go now. But you cant let them love so much that you will never go alone or with the guys again. because you will get in trouble every time you go to the range with a new gun she don't know about! ; 0

My only suggestion for this situation is to have another female show her the way, she might be more comfortable then. My wife also didn't like the idea of having firearms at the house but I took her to a range in sunset hill, Pa. And it was kinda smooth sailing from then on....

The only thing she hates now is the $$$$$$$ that I'm spending instead of saving.

I got another idea that could possibly work is to set up a MEET with the guys here and have them bring their spouses or daughters and have a good ol' time teaching them and welcoming them to our world. I'm down for it!

My wife agreed to come to the range for my birthday. She disliked guns, not that I had them, but she was nervous around them. She freaked after firing an AR that day, but once we moved to handguns, and she shot my Browning BDA .380, it became hers :). The next week I went out and bought a 10-22 rifle and she is more comfortable with that for rifle. She now comes to shoot every month or so, and has even fired a DE .44 magnum. We set up water bottles and steel plates which makes it more fun and interesting then paper.

Have patience my friend. My longtime GF was against guns when I first started to get into shooting a couple of years ago. She gradually got used to the idea of my owning them, although we do not live together. I managed to get her to handle my guns about a year ago (damn, there's always some sexual imagery there); but I could not get her to go to the range with me. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, she said that the idea of a First Steps Pistol class sounded OK to her. It helped that a couple we are friendly with, also brand new shooters, wanted to take the class with her. I sat in the back of the classroom and tried not to say too much.

Needless to say, she had a great time. We went to RTSP last weekend, and I let her try half a dozen handguns, plus my M&P 15-22. She had a lot of fun, but I think it was even more enjoyable for me, even though I didn't shoot at all. Last I heard, we're planning to go with that other couple again this weekend. I'm thrilled, and I think there is a good chance that your wife will eventually get to that point as well. Good luck to you!

My wife watched some show on guns and women late one night when I was asleep. And, ever since then she has been interested in being a gun owner, a handgun owner. I don't know what the title was or what channel it was on, but it was persuasive enough for her to get and FID and permits. Nothing I had said up to that point last Fall had gotten her motivated. Unless I was working on her and the documentary clinched the deal. I would love to watch what she watched to see why it made such an impact.

Take her to a First Steps Pistol or similar intro to handguns class. My wife (then fiance) was almost physically afraid of guns before I took her to one of these classes, primarily because all she knew about them was what the media has been spoon feeding her. After taking her to one of Gun For Hire's First Steps Pistol class she became a lot more comfortable with guns and went and got her FID and a couple P2Ps.

Send her to an NRA Basic Pistol class (not first steps). Don't attend, your presence will add to her anxiety. Let an instructor teach her and let her shoot multiple different guns.

I'm in Cape May County, if you are near by I'll teach her. I have a couple women who are interested in a class when the weather warms up.

probably true Pete, although i dont know if that's the best way to go.. lol

im lucky.. my wife has had her FID and her 38 for longer than ive known her (15+ years). its not that she's massively interested in guns, but she is certainly not against them and not against me getting some.

in fact, she just told me the other day "spend what you need to to get what you want" when i was waffling on buying that excessively overpriced CZ.. in the end, i had her blessing to overspend to get it, but i decided it was not what i wanted to pay for it (decision is killing me, but hey, gotta be a LITTLE financially prudent).. but just knowing that i wont get any crap from her if i overpay a bit for it makes me feel good..

and then im going to get a M&P22 so that she has something with light recoil to use.. (she even said "i like the look of that one")

its funny, even she (who is not an anti) said previously that no one needs an "assault weapon" (referring to the AR's and such) until she watched the Hannity segment with Jessie Duff and she showed the differences in the rounds.. actually, it was then that she decided that a) we needed a shotgun and b) she changed her stance on the AR's, etc.

sometimes their minds can be changed by the strangest things (or they just need someone who isnt their husband to explain something to them in a way they can "get it")

I'm a more-than-middle-aged woman and here's what got me interested:

1. I was never "anti," but I never really thought about firearms

2. My husband died

3. Started thinking about firearms

4. Found my perfect firearm (M&P 9 mm Julie Golob edition, see my avatar)

5. Applied for FID and P2P...and waited...and waited

6. Got my FID, P2P, and finally took possession of my M&P 9 mm

7. Took firearm to range and shot it

8. Completely hooked! :D

Obviously, it's preferable that you all skip Step 2!!

However, if you can get your wife to the range to shoot, she might just get hooked on it. I went with another woman who is an experienced shooter and we spent our range-time working on my first shots, which was a great experience. My biggest fears---and I'm guessing the biggest fears of most women (and maybe men?)---were the recoil and the noise. Muffs with ear-plugs took care of the big noise and I felt minimal recoil with my 9 mm, so after a couple of shots I wasn't afraid anymore.

One more thing, I watched YouTube videos before getting my firearm regarding cleaning, shooting, etc. A lot of the Hickok45 videos make it all look easy and fun. That took some of the mystery out of the equation for me. I field-stripped and cleaned my firearm before taking it to the range, so I was more comfortable with the mechanics of how the gun works. For me, there is less fear if I understand it better.

Personally, I think that a lot of women who are "anti" are more scared about the *idea* of a gun than are actually anti-gun. Once that fear and "mystique" about firearms is somewhat resolved, your wife might be more open to it. Don't push and don't keep bringing it up---we hate that! ;) Try to introduce her to a few (pre-screened) YouTube videos. After that, see if she'd be willing to take an NRA Basic Pistol class so she can make an "educated decision"---don't assume or tell her that she'll want a firearm after this, just keep your fingers crossed. If there is a woman's class, that would be even better. Another option is an individual lesson (that's what I'm doing at GFH). Having a positive shooting experience with a qualified instructor will probably give you the best chance of success, at least in my opinion.

YMMV and you know your wife best, but you taking her to the range, even with other people, probably won't do it and just might make her more uncomfortable. You need to be supportive and respectful of her individual learning experience, and then see if that changes her mind. Again, just my opinion.

Sorry about the long post and good luck!

My wife loves all the true crime shows and is addicted to Investigation Discovery. To her the presence of a gun automatically meant someone was getting murdered. I had the gun or divorce ultimatum for 6 months but finally convinced her to agree since I was going to get my grandfather's pistol.

...Now my problem is getting her to go along with using my other 2 permits.

Send her to the range with me and gunsrlegal :) Then we'll get her signed up for a 1st steps with GFH.

I was petrified when I took my first shots.I had a very bad experience ( well , witnessed one at least..the bad experience was certainly not "mine") Needed to start WITHOUT my husband around. A private first steps with Rob from GFH did the trick. I went from being apprehensive of my husband owning a gun to quickly outpacing him in my collection lol

If you would like for me to take her to the range I have a Model 19 with very little recoil she can try. If she is too nervouse and wants to talk only first , PM me and I will gladly pass on my phone number. Then definitely , set her up with a First Steps . Without you , preferably. Trust me on that one. It will increase chances you are shooting together the next time.

For some reason, my wife is phobic of handguns and doesn't want one in the house. Does anyone have any recommendations for courses I could bring her to to give her a gentle introduction?

Start out slowly. Perhaps a nice personal massaging device shaped like a bullet. Then on to one shaped like a gun.

It's funny 'cause my wife got me interested. We had a couple of rifles and a shotgun but no handguns. One day she said to me that she thought it was time for her to have a handgun. I agreed but cars were more of my 'thing' and I didn't get too excited. Well, she ended up buying a S&W 686. We both shot it at the range and the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. So here we are with a S&W 617, Sig P226 (9mm and .22lr conversion), and a Beretta Nano. She shoots all of 'em. We shoot at Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro and most of the time there are as many women as men.

Thank you all for the advice! I actually read her some of the funnier ones and got a good laugh. It helped, because humor is a good antidote to fear, and it's good for her to see the kinds of people she'll be around. She isn't anti and has no problem with my long guns. She actually encourages me to hunt, because she loves venison. It's just an irrational aversion to handguns specifically.

I called GFH today, but unfortunately, they don't have a women only class. I'm going to sign her up for the women only class at Firearms Guild.

Irishpete's wife: Thank you very much for the offer. Let's see how she does with the intro class. If she's open to further experiences, I'll definitely introduce you.

I'm a more-than-middle-aged woman and here's what got me interested:

1. I was never "anti," but I never really thought about firearms

2. My husband died

3. Started thinking about firearms

4. Found my perfect firearm (M&P 9 mm Julie Golob edition, see my avatar)

5. Applied for FID and P2P...and waited...and waited

6. Got my FID, P2P, and finally took possession of my M&P 9 mm

7. Took firearm to range and shot it

8. Completely hooked! :D

Obviously, it's preferable that you all skip Step 2!!

Sorry about the long post and good luck!

This post is awesome.

For all the good advice I would like to add sometimes just getting your wife to know how to use it in case she needs in an emergency is all you can ever hope for.

To get my wife to go to the range all I had to do was make sure she realized that it was for fun and I wasn't to be teaching her anything that she didn't want to learn. She had fun shooting for a day and never went back, but at least I know that she knows how to use it, if it ever came down to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

look for women on target its an intro to hand guns rifles and shotguns it cost about $ 20 my wife was happy with it and she is a very good shotgun shooter already so it was the handgun and rifle stuff for her btw she now loves ars

Update to my original post.

IMHO, a good way to drive more women away from the topic of firearms is to make "funny" remarks such as telling them that they can buy special range shoes. Many women will find that offensive and that only serves to support the stereotype that gun-owners are ignorant chest-thumping men who spit and scratch themselves. I know that's not true, just like I know that a woman isn't going to consider firearms because of new shoes or a new purse. I would hope that most people here understand that, too.

Men vs women aside, we need to show maturity and support each other. There are enough "antis" in this world that we shouldn't turn on each other. Remember, there are people who may just be considering firearms, and who find and read these messages as lurkers. We're not going to win any supporters through insults and juvenile "jokes."

We can't generalize any group of men or women, everyone has different reasons for being interested in firearms or even for being anti-firearms. Life experiences tend to shape a lot of what we believe and who we become. People have different reasons for getting interested in firearms---family histories, the current state of this country, desire for a new hobby/sport, even basic curiosity. It would be great if we could welcome everyone into our group so they feel comfortable with the people who own firearms. I think that's a major step toward changing the current media-created picture of gun ownership.

As always, just my opinion.

Now, back to the original post by the OP.

That was so refreshing. Thank you.

I got into firearms after my Dad passed and I found a shotgun in his closet, circa 1938, when cleaning out the house. I am also dealing with how to get my wife to accept firearms in the house. I did not want to sell Dad's shotgun and went to get my FPID so I could buy ammo. That was two years ago and during that time I have gradually gotten her to warm up to them being in the house. She has not shot any of them but our kids have and we occasionally go out to Clinton WMA do do some skeet shooting. The neighborhood women now want me to take them out to the shotgun range.

A couple of weeks ago during a family baby shower, I offered to take all the male designated drivers out to the range. It was a remarkable day for all and many of the guys, some of whom had never shot before, were able to shoot a wide variety of firearms. I think that when I can take the neighborhood women to the range that my wife will want to try shooting the shotgun. Pistols will be another matter. I really would like her to know how to use them so I know she will be able to handle them safely.

I will certainly be interested in other's ideas and suggestions.

So far the only thing that has even gotten my wife to show any interest was to show her a listing for a purple Ruger LCP. She actually seemed intrigued by the idea of having a pistol in her favorite color. And matching safety glasses/ear protection.

Tell her she needs to buy special designer shoes of her choice just for the range and also special jewelry. It's customary and should compliment the holster.

Great. The number of women that actually post on the forum can be counted on one hand, and yet, you reach out and attempt to smack them over the head.

Memo - if mipafox provides advice, do the diametrically opposite for greatest results.