7-3-2

357 or 44 revolver what would you choose?

Why not get both?

Cause it would defeat the whole purpose of my question. I also cant afford to stock soo many different types of ammo. Ill likely use 38/44 spl for the range and HD purposes BUT its just not in my budget to get two guns and significant amounts of ammo at this time.

I have both, the .44 will give you a sore palm, you will be able to shoot the .357 a lot longer. The last time I checked .44mag was going for about $40 for JSP and .44sp for $30 for lead, .357mag for $30 and .38sp for $20 per 50 rounds. Costs aside, they both kill bugs dead! Personally I love my .44 but I don't practice enough with it, the .357 on the other hand offers less punishment and is more affordable to shoot regularly.

I have already chosen - and the decision was .357 magnum.

.44 magnum costs more to buy, costs more to shoot, and are generally chambered only in big, heavy guns.  

There ARE some advantages to the .44 - if you want to hunt; its a better round for big game.  If you're moving to Alaska in the near future, a .44 is better protection from the bigger and nastier critters found up there.

But since I'm not moving, and you can't handgun hunt in NJ, I went for the .357.

I have already chosen - and the decision was .357 magnum.

.44 magnum costs more to buy, costs more to shoot, and are generally chambered only in big, heavy guns.  

There ARE some advantages to the .44 - if you want to hunt; its a better round for big game.  If you're moving to Alaska in the near future, a .44 is better protection from the bigger and nastier critters found up there.

But since I'm not moving, and you can't handgun hunt in NJ, I went for the .357.

Good choice, I have one and use 38 for most of my target shooting.  Much less expensive, easier on the gun and less recoil.

I have both and have only put one box of .44 Magnums through the 629. I can not count how many rounds of .38 Wadcutters & .38 Special have been through the 686. I have only gone through four boxes of .357 Magnum. Can not shoot that at my indoor range and rarely bring it to the outdoor range.

Yes - 3.5 grains of bullseye under a 158 gr cast semi-wadcutter makes for a nice, comfortable, accurate, and cheap(!) shooting load for my revolvers.

I have both.  Like most, I shoot the .357 a lot more.  The .44 is more satisfying to shoot.  I reload both so cost is not much of a factor.  I would go with .44 if you are planning on doing any hunting.  If not, then I would go with the .357.

I personally love a 44.. but either way you can't go wrong.. I am quick to agree with other posters though more versatile with a 357. Are you looking for one specific round to shoot go 44 if you want options in this crazy ammo rat race 357

Being a Wheelgunner since '77 I can offer the following:

A 4" .357 will do almost everything, and it will do it a little cheaper, so you can practice more.

Once you get to a point in life where you want choices, shooting .44 Spl. 240 gr. RNFP Lead Cowboy loads out of a model 29 becomes second nature.  Especially if you change-out the wooden Smith grips for rubber ones.  Women who can't handle the snappiness of a .380 or a 9mm have NO trouble with .44 Spls. ALL DAY LONG.....and that round/chambering makes IPSC Major and then some!  The soft lead slow-moving slug won't lead-up the barrel, and it's a real man-stopper, as it expands and all of it's energy is deposited into the wound.  Just like a .45 Long Colt, only a mere 10 grains lighter....

Dave

29 Owner since late '79

Perfect solution. 41 magum.

357 python absolutely. ... but with current pricing, I would be afraid to shoot it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

You got that right. I wanted a Python until I aaw the current prices and for over $1500 up to $2500 I would be afraid to use the darn thing. I am now in the market for a blue and wood grip .357 S&W. Looking at the model 586, 66 and 19 for my first wheel gun.

Perfect solution. 41 magum.

357 python absolutely. ... but with current pricing, I would be afraid to shoot it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I'll disagree with that 41 magnum Maks.  Hard to find ammo in normal times.  When was the last time you saw 41 mag in Wal Mart?  When you do find ammo limited selection of power levels and bullet weights. The same goes for components and the 41 mag is one of those calibers you must reload for. 

I realize many people believe the Python is the best revolver ever made, however I'm not one of them.

I'll disagree with that 41 magnum Maks. Hard to find ammo in normal times. When was the last time you saw 41 mag in Wal Mart? When you do find ammo limited selection of power levels and bullet weights. The same goes for components and the 41 mag is one of those calibers you must reload for.

I realize many people believe the Python is the best revolver ever made, however I'm not one of them.

HEHE. yes... 41 magnum is hard to find locally, If you reload, not an issue. If you buy ammo online, not a problem.

41 Mag was a recommendation specifically for power in between 44 mag and 357. You also have a lot less revolvers in 41 mag.

As far as pythons.... fit and finish, especially blued, they are the nicest revolvers I have seen and shot.

Double Action is ok, single Action... sweet.

End of the day, for resale, for collectibles, Colt revolvers have a ton of history, and a strong , cult like following. You will NOT lose money on a colt. For a revolver that was $1k when it was new, you cannot build as quality of a revolver today, especially since Pythons were hand fitted.

If you want a great all around gun you will not be afraid to shoot... get a 686. Are you on a budget? Get a Ruger GP100.

A Colt Python, is still a Python., and due to the Python effect, many other colt revolvers are up there in price. If you run across one for a good price.... you get it.