malice95

What the wife doesnt know...

Does your wife know the cost/size of your gun connection?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Does your wife know the cost/size of your gun connection?

• No, I sneak guns in the backdoor at night. She knows nothing.
    • She knows how many I have but thinks they only cost $100 each
    • She thinks I only have 1 gun but I have a safe full.
    • I am totally honest with my wife about the guns
    • Its her gun collection!

I am wondering how many guys have resorted to some white lies about the size/cost of their gun collections

with the wife. My wife is not thrilled with the gun thing.. Tonight I walked in with my brand new Sig Sauer 716 - AR-10.

A 2k plus gun. She asked why on earth I need a new gun and what did that cost. I think the big black gun scared her.

Probably thoughts of mowing down 1st graders. I had to go with.. it only cost $500 honey to maintain marital harmony.

Honestly, explain it to her.

1. Guns retain their value and go up.  Ammo is an expense.  Guns are an asset.

2. Better than you going out drinking, smoking, drugs. (unless you actually do.)

3. Guns make you a better, more moral, responsible person.

4. You have a ton of gun buddies. =)

5. BUY USED!  You will seldom if ever lose money on a used gun.

Be honest, and then you will have pleasant surprises.... like so.  Wife goes on a trip to visit her friends in NH and goes to check out the gun stores for you and buys a sig for you. =)

gun6.jpg

Btw, don't be stupid. Your Wife/Girlfriend WILL find out how many guns you have, and if you been hiding them.... oh, the wrath will come... and then the members of NJGF will than you for having a firesale. =)

No secrets with the wife -- she's fully aware of the inventory.

Buying guns is definitely cheaper when you're single. After getting married, I noticed a mysterious phenomenon where, for every gun I purchase, a few days later, my credit card shows a charge for a new purse.

Maksim is right :)

Buy used, you should be able to recover your money and maybe make a few bucks if you decide to sell. I have several AK's and AR's, when I get tired of one I sell and buy something else used to fool around with and maybe decide to make a keeper out of.

Also, Pre-1898 guns keep going up in value and even restored many will still go up in value if they are shooters in easily obtainable calibers. Nobody likes the Govt. knowing what they have, Pre-1898 is off the books and the Feds do not consider anything Pre-1898 to be a firearm. Thus the value of say a Pre-1898 Mosin in good condition is $450-$600 versus the $149 special that requires those 4473's :)

I see it this way, I can rent at a range all day long but the rental costs will add up and eventually people spend enough renting where they could have purchased that gun they rented from the beginning.

Ammo is just an expense, same as having a car...no gas? can't drive. no ammo? can't shoot. Cars break, need to be fixed. Guns break, need to be fixed. Atleast with guns you won't be hit with a $5K repair bill unless you own something VERY exotic ;)

Don't lie, let the family know what you have. Just keep the anti-gun family memebers (if you have any) in the dark about your hobby lol

I dont have a huge collection, so the need for hiding is not there.  Out first gun (S&W 640) is actually her gun that she's had for 15+ years.  Since getting into shooting, I have been honest with her about what I have and how much they cost (the GUNS..  the amount of ammo I've purchased is a whole other matter)..  Since I am not going crazy with buying yet (purchased 4 total since January), she's not too upset.  Plus she knows that its one of the few hobbies I actually have. 

Not to mention I do the finances, so she has no idea how much ive spent anyway..  heh

She knows I have a small collection but not everything I have, Everytime I tell her that when I am gone they are all hers, she says dont leave them to her because she will sell them cheep just to get rid of them. I said I will come back to haunt her if she does that.....yikes!

Wife is usually cool with it. Doesn't really know how many I have, had a bunch before we lived together. She doesn't know the combo to my big safe and never will. That's my hiding spot for gifts. She knows the combo to the bedroom safe where I keep a few handguns and her handgun.

Usually when I get a new gun, she gets a new lens for her camera or some other expensive accessory.

I agree with Mak - be honest.

I had a gun before I met my wife and took her shooting on one of our first dates. So she knows where I come from in terms of that. Since getting back into shooting in a regular basis, she's seen the boxes being delivered with various items so it pays to be honest. To this point she has not asked "how much was that" since I've never not had money today for household items such as food and mortgage.

If you must HIDE something from your wife..you picked the wrong woman......

......that statement in and of itself will determine if you stay married to her......

The larger issues is not about guns or anything else..but the sole fact that you cannot be honest with her and/or she

Is not approachable on subjects she doesn't gree with...doesn't make for a healthy long term relationship....

My wife knows about every one of them...what they cost..what the value is etc....

Then again she IS my best friend...and as the saying goes...a friend bails u out of jail....your best friend is in there with you....

^^^^^ THIS  ^^^^^^

My wife finds out about everything anyway, I don't knowhow she does it.  So I voted I tell her everything, she may very well read this post.  You guys gotta remember they played Barbie and Ken.  You are Ken by the way,  and they have played every scenario out years before they met us. 

" You aren't seriously going out dressed like that, are you Ken?"

" Yep. "

"  You aren't seriously going out dressed like that with me, are you Ken?"

" Er, uh, nope."

" That's what we thought."

" Oh yeah, I forgot it's a we thing."

" How could you possibly think that wearing a camo sweatshirt, gym pants, and flip flops is appropriate attire for Nordstrom's ?"

" Actually,  I just thought it was legal if I covered my butt and balls."

" OMG, I married my father."

" Yep."  " I always liked your father."

Honestly, explain it to her.

1. Guns retain their value and go up. Ammo is an expense. Guns are an asset.

2. Better than you going out drinking, smoking, drugs. (unless you actually do.)

3. Guns make you a better, more moral, responsible person.

4. You have a ton of gun buddies. =)

5. BUY USED! You will seldom if ever lose money on a used gun.

Be honest, and then you will have pleasant surprises.... like so. Wife goes on a trip to visit her friends in NH and goes to check out the gun stores for you and buys a sig for you. =)

gun6.jpg

Btw, don't be stupid. Your Wife/Girlfriend WILL find out how many guns you have, and if you been hiding them.... oh, the wrath will come... and then the members of NJGF will than you for having a firesale. =)

And she brought you back a dig with a sweet DA trigger. Lol. Needs sights but she's a sweet sig