Pizza Bob

Arizona Tragedy

Surprised that I didn't see a thread about this. I assume you know of what I'm speaking, so I won't reiterate.

I read in one article that the little girl and her family were from New Jersey. Wondering if anybody on here knows them? Only saw it mentioned in one article.

I don't know what that "instructor" was thinking. Seems it was a case of suicide by stupidity, but that poor little girl will be traumatized for life because of his stupidity.

One thing that some articles failed to mention (maybe in publications with an agenda) was that she was successfully shooting the Uzi in semi auto mode. What made the instructor think it was OK to switch it to full-auto, we'll never know. Purely stupid.

My thoughts are with all those involved. It never should have happened.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I posted my comments about this in the thread on how old a kid should be to shoot.  I don't have the computer skills to simply cut and paste it here, so could you please do so Bob?  Thanks!

Rosey

Rosey's thoughts, per his request...

In regards to the unfortunate tragedy in the news involving the nine year old, I must come down on the side of common sense and say maybe the Instructor paid for his mistake with his life.  Condolences to all of those involved, especially the nine year old!  What were the Parents thinking?  Why did the Instructor allow it?  A true tragedy!

Also , there is video on this event which I usually am against..but in the case it very effectively illustrates how quickly things can go wrong when you are not 100% focused. It is a lesson in itself , the video and should be watched by all instructors.

My heart almost stopped when I saw the stills from the video, and reading that the 9yo was from New Jersey. The child depicted in the video looked an awful lot like another well known 9yo shooter from NJ.  So far, no indications that it's the one with whom I'm familiar.  

Condolences to the family of the instructor, and, of course, to the young lady.   I'm totally grateful that I know my niece and nephew can handle my weapons. I made sure of it before I let them do so.

Tragedy, all around... :(

Here in Commiefornia, where I'm working this week, they're saying she was from NY. The video (what the local news shows of it) shows him with his head to the left and slightly in front of the girls head...basically beside the gun. She shoots and the recoil pushes it up and left...on full auto, she wasn't able to change the direction of travel and it shot him in the head. Looks like her parents may have been shooting the video. I had a time controlling the recoil on an MP5 the first time I fired it full auto and I was a 220 lb, 22 year old squid...I can't imagine a 9 year old trying to do the same with an Uzi.

Age is not an issue. I've seen grown adults react the same as the girl.

Agreed - it's a function of the particular firearm.  I saw a video from a friend who was shooting a Kriss Vector FA and the recoil on that was straight back with absolutely NO tendency to rise.

Agreed - it's a function of the particular firearm.  I saw a video from a friend who was shooting a Kriss Vector FA and the recoil on that was straight back with absolutely NO tendency to rise.

I've seen people shoot the Kriss Vector FA and launch rounds over the berm due to having no idea what they were doing.

Seems like he kinda rushed it from 1 shot to auto. When I take new shooters out I talk a lot about what is going to happen. He might have done all that before the video but I would have reminded her about the recoil. If a friend is shooting a .22 and wants to try my .45 for the first time I tell them multiple times what to expect. I don't want them freaking out and getting hurt or dropping my gun. Horrible accident

That was not perfectly supervised. Perfect supervised would have been only a few rounds in the mag for full auto, standing at least next to and not in front of her, and ready for a possible sweep. He was complacent and trusting of an inexperienced 9yr old shooter.

Seems like he kinda rushed it from 1 shot to auto. When I take new shooters out I talk a lot about what is going to happen. He might have done all that before the video but I would have reminded her about the recoil. If a friend is shooting a .22 and wants to try my .45 for the first time I tell them multiple times what to expect. I don't want them freaking out and getting hurt or dropping my gun. Horrible accident

You ever fired a Micro UZI? It's about the most beastly and unforgiving gun on the planet. You can't train a 9 year old girl to safely shoot one.

I agree that it was not well supervised.  What the hell possessed anyone to allow a 9 year old with little experience (1 shot in semi auto does not make you experienced) to shoot a machine pistol?  

What about the 50 mags that she shot before the video was taken. Was that enough before FA mode?

I don't know if she did shoot any before this, or had even shot a gun before. Everybody is basing statements off what a short video shows and what the media is saying. For all we know, the girl might be a marksman with a different gun. She may be a better shooter than half the NJGF Commandos. I am sorry for the loss, and am waiting for new gun bills to be introduced, over an accident.

Its tragedy but I have never seen "Children saved by Firearms" category, EVER on MSM.

You know the answer to that.... the MSM doesn't want the sheeples to know that children can be saved by firearms.... "Guns are bad...  M'Kaaaayyy?"  :rolleyes:

I won't be shocked if the parents sue the owner of the range for negligence of their instructors and the mental suffering the daughter will have

Only in America can you kill someone and then sue them.

The father will say "i never approved full auto" or something like that

"Make sure you keep that held in otherwise it won't fire...."

We'll see.