Lambo2936

Anyone else's safe just too small?

Hey all.. so i bought a nice new buck commander (stack on) 24 gun fireproof safe a little while ago when i got my fid and got into owning my own firearms rather than renting. Now, i knew that if it says 24 itll hold maybe 12, but i really didnt think the thing would get so full so fast, and i only have a 12 gauge, 2 ARs, and a bolt action rifle and my little 1911 on the door. What the heck! I want to order a few thousand rounds of ammo to save (upcoming election has me spooked!) But i dont think id be able to even fit it! Granted i have a small safe and important paperwork in there, i would still think id have more space! Any suggestions as far as ammo storage? A smaller locking safe on top of the other safe? Maybe a small locking cabinet in the little closet? And to think she was complaining it was too big... and thats with the nice door organizer and all! Ill have to reorganize. Maybe if i get a smaller ammo safe/cabinet ill be able to open the right side for more rifles. Always go MUCH bigger than you think youll need, fellas!

Suggestions would be great. Has to be baby safe. I live in a teeny mobile home, so cant be huge, otherwise i have lots of nice big metal cabinets at work.

Don't put the ammo in the safe. Just stack it up in a closet or garage. Put it on a shelf or cabinet if you want. You probably have a lot more stuff worth more than cartridges, and probably easier to walk away with.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 2

I got a 24 gun fire safe and it barely holds 6 rifles and 3 pistols and HD shotgun on the door. What ever safe you get, it will be too small eventually. As far as ammo goes, aside from loaded mags in my safe, I have mine stored in 8 50cal ammo cans with locks next to the safe in the closet.

Lmao, i have a baby so ive been trying to keep it all locked away. I was fully aware of what id need, and figured id fit 6+ rifles plus storage. I was wrong. I'll have to keep an eye out for either a large plastic ammo box type thing i can fill with extra ammo and lock or a small metal cabinet or something. No garage, only a shed, and its made of sheet metal. Dont even need a crow bar to break into it. I'll see what i can find, i guess, haha. Id fill my ammo boxes and store it up top but they are the crappy plastic ones that hardly hold 200 rds a piece.

I think the wifes camera is in there, too. Ill have to take all the extra crap out. That being said, even the cheap wolf ammo i have is freakin expensive for the space it takes up. Id leave the camera and walk out with 1000$ in ammo in the same space! Lol

Try one of those simple metal cabinets.  Some have a simple key lock if you really want it locked.  Save the fire safe space for your guns and passports.

One from Ikea  via Amazon.  If you don't like Red.. there's always Krylon...

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Cabinet-Stand-Multi-use-Lockable/dp/B006KXVPAA/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1461183110&sr=8-21&keywords=metal+storage+cabinet&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

You can also use a base from one of those stackable tool chest systems.  Usually 3 or 4 lockable draws. Some have wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Drawer-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet/dp/B00PZ7EXB0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_196_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41gkpy5Wl9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=107ZECZ0R3H1KMKR6CT4

That, and kids sometimes take things to school to show their friends...  The young don't always do as their told.

My kid doesn't go to school yet (not even 2) but she definitely does put things in her mouth that she shouldn't...  Daddy's gotta keep his boolits hidden or out of reach.  And yes, they tested her lead levels so I'm sure she hasn't eaten anything she shouldn't (at least from my stash).

Mine isnt even one, but if my fiance caught my daughter playing with a boolit, i am fairly certain you would all be getting really good deals on a few firearms and ammunition. As for the safe, she would probably keep that for me...

Better safe than sorry. I may get some cheap tool boxes from home depot and use those. The husky ones arent too bad and will stack nicely and do lock. A job box would be perfect if i had the space. I have a nice big plastic husky one in my truck bed. My whole house is like 500sqft though, and about 800sqft of that is baby stuff (yes those numbers are correct), so no room for a big box. Im thinking small metal cabinet or just some locking boxes of some sort.

Thanks folks!

Btw, was just looking in the safe and i just did a poor job of organizing. If its properly setup and i take out most of the ammunition, i should have lots of space. Hopefully i can clear the other side up and use it for more rifles in the near future. Think ill take one of the small 2 door cabinets i have and just bolt a ghetto latch to it that i can padlock and save myself the money.

Cabelas Dry Storage Boxes can do the trick with ammo.    You can use a small padlock to lock 'em up too if really necessary, but you can keep these stashed and they stack very nicely.

That's similar to what I use. Put one padlock on it and you're good enough from little inquisitive hands. And filled with ammo they're too heavy for either of my kids to pick up so the floor of the closet works for me lol

That, and kids sometimes take things to school to show their friends.

I remember taking ammo to school for show and tell! But that was a different time and a different place.

Cabelas Dry Storage Boxes can do the trick with ammo. You can use a small padlock to lock 'em up too if really necessary, but you can keep these stashed and they stack very nicely.

That is what I use, and have them labeled so I can log what rounds are in which bin (I use AmmoBase to keep track of my ammo). I do have spam cans in my safe, but more for keeping shorter long guns higher up so I can use rifle rods with them.

I think it is a proven fact that a safe will always be too small. I picked up a Liberty Fatboy Jr, since it was the largest to get through the door, and I am squeezing in my collection of 33 guns. With long guns, rifle rods are the way to go. But I've been looking at different ways to utilize as much space as possible. Pulled the bolts out of three bolt guns to get them closer together (use a padded zipper case with the model/serial number on an exterior tag). Look at the Lockdown safe accessory line, as I have a lot of stuff hanging. I even have some of those handgun hangers on order to hang some bayonets towards the back of the safe opposed to on shelves.

I remember taking ammo to school for show and tell! But that was a different time and a different place.

Pretty sure if anybody pulled that stunt, they'd not only be expelled but would also face some sort of Trumped up charge for terrorism or something, haha.

That is what I use, and have them labeled so I can log what rounds are in which bin (I use AmmoBase to keep track of my ammo). I do have spam cans in my safe, but more for keeping shorter long guns higher up so I can use rifle rods with them.

I think it is a proven fact that a safe will always be too small. I picked up a Liberty Fatboy Jr, since it was the largest to get through the door, and I am squeezing in my collection of 33 guns. With long guns, rifle rods are the way to go. But I've been looking at different ways to utilize as much space as possible. Pulled the bolts out of three bolt guns to get them closer together (use a padded zipper case with the model/serial number on an exterior tag). Look at the Lockdown safe accessory line, as I have a lot of stuff hanging. I even have some of those handgun hangers on order to hang some bayonets towards the back of the safe opposed to on shelves.

Nice, haha.

I Wish i had the space, but i was worried about the weight due to the nature of my home as well as the size because of how small my bedroom is to begin with. I Probably could have gone a bit bigger, but i genuinely thought a 24 gun safe would be plenty for me, even with half of it being shelves.

I Suppose it is, for now, IF i take all of the ammo and stuff out and just put guns and a few boxes of each caliber in with the firearms.

I'll have to do that, i suppose. Too bad :/ I like how its organized for the most part with all of the ammunition nicely packed in there. My house is a mess, but i like my stuff organized in there, haha. I'll see what i can come up with to clear out the right side of the safe for more firearms (when needed). For now, i SHOULD have room for one, maybe two more firearms on the left side. 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stack-on-14-gun-security-cabinet-black?cm_vc=-10005

I procured one of those around christmas time for $99 to use as an ammo cabinet. The actual "fireproof" safe, which is rated as a 24 gun safe, only holds guns (almost 20), important documents, and my JHP ammo.  With a recent re-org I managed to free up a lot of room in it as well.