Upfitter21

Looking to purchase first AR

31 posts in this topic

So looking to purchase my first AR, price range is <$1k.  I thought I found a Colt M4 Expanse but sadly it was already sold, so now my options are the M&P15, some Windham and Diamondback Rifles, and I found a Troy CQB SPCA3 for $800.  Anyone have any recommendations or know any stores which may have Colts in stock? 
Also still 18 so can't buy a stripped lower and do my own build.

Have you considered building your own? Buy a complete bcm upper and pick up a stripped lower and you will have a really solid ar for sub $1000. Takes a whole half hour or so to put together

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Still 18 so I don't believe I can buy a stripped lower yet, if I was 21 I would just build my own.

Welcome. I never heard that there is a problem under 18 but I have no clue. I'd buy a lower and upper from PSA. Get on their mailing list and you need to move fast when you see something you like. It's easy to have a very nice AR in the sub $700 range. Also check out mewe and the marketplace here and consider buying used. Lots of people buy AR's and for some reason don't shoot them much.

Welcome. I never heard that there is a problem under 18 but I have no clue. I'd buy a lower and upper from PSA. Get on their mailing list and you need to move fast when you see something you like. It's easy to have a very nice AR in the sub $700 range. Also check out mewe and the marketplace here and consider buying used. Lots of people buy AR's and for some reason don't shoot them much.

All the sites I've gone on have said ATF requires you to be 21+ to buy stripped lowers simply because you can make it into an AR pistol.  I might just go with a M&P15 since Hague's is gonna sell them for $600 over Blackfriday weekend.

1 person likes this

If you have to buy a complete rifle, I'd get a colt 6920 or similar model. Under a grand and a solid AR, plus resale value is excellent if you ever decide to sell it in the future.

I want to but can't really find any places here that have them or have them for a decent price.  Called Ottomanelli and their LE6920s are around $1200

You could try and wait for Black Friday. I went to the Heritage of Easton on Black Friday and picked up a S&W ar15 sport for under $600 about 2 years ago. Basic rifle but works like a champ. Never had any problems except normal human error.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By 9X19
      http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/17/dicks-sporting-goods-to-destroy-all-unsold-firearms-pulled-from-shelves-after-parkland-shooting.html
      More nonsense from Dicks Sporting Goods.
      Their stock will hopefully plummet and they will go away for once and for all. 
    • By JT Custom Guns
      Troy PAR    (Pump Action Rifle)
      .223 / 5.56 Nato
      New in Box

FEATURES:   -16" Melonite barrel -1:7 RH twist -Troy Medevil Flash Hider -Fully Adjustable Troy Battleaxe Mil-Spec stock -Alpha-style handguard with full-length top rail -Troy BattleAx control grip -Standard trigger -Billet machined railed flat-top upper receiver -Billet machined lower receiver -M4 feed ramps -Mil-Spec hardcoat anodized finish -Manual lever safety with indicator markings on both sides of receiver -Full Size 10 round magazine   100% NJ legal

$775.00

100% NJ Legal AR - Threaded BBL., Adj. Stock, ect.

• By JT Custom Guns
      STAG VRST
      Weight: 6.5 lbs
      Length: 32.25" collapsed, 35.5" extended
      Action: Semi-Auto Direct Impingement
      Caliber: 5.56 NATO | .223
      Twist Rate: 1/7 Button Rifled
      Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider  (Muzzle Brake in NJ)
      Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, Chrome Lined, Government Profile, Manganese Phosphate Coated
      Handguard: Diamondhead VRST Series 3 M-LOK 13.5" Handguard
      Receiver Material: Forged and Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
      Bolt Carrier: Mil-Spec Manganese Phosphate coated M16 BCG
      Gas System: Carbine Length with Low Profile Gas Block
      Charging Handle: Standard Mil-Spec
      Buttstock: Magpul MOE SL Stock
      Buffer: H Buffer and Spring
      Trigger: Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger with Enhanced Trigger Guard
      Grip: Hogue Pistol Grip
      Magazine: 30rd PMAG  (10rd in NJ)
      Safety Selector: Right Hand
      SKU: STAG580024-D
      +  Mfg. Lifetime Warranty
      $850.00 - NJ Compliant with Hardshell Carry Case

• By Stuntman22
      Looking for a lightweight AR with a decent optic good to excellent condition. I’m in North Jersey. If you have one in your safe that is just a queen and gets no use, please contact me.
    • By Modern Materiel
      Upcoming Costa Ludus courses at Cobra One Tactical in Great Meadows.
      5/4 to 5/6 Carbine Elements Theory 1
      5/8 to 5/10 Handgun Elements Theory 1
      8/31 to 9/2 Handgun Elements Theory 2
      9/4 to 9/6 Vehicle Elements Theory
      Contact me directly for more info jmsavio@gstbase.com
      NOTE: The May courses are almost filled.

• Didnt Corzine try the same smoke and mirror tax raising scheme?
    • Depends on personal preference...

If we are talking pistol grip only, I actually prefer the Raptor grip over a traditional pistol grip nowadays. Just feels a little more comfortable. The brace setup on my TAC-14 uses a regular pistol grip, but I do have a standard grip, if need be.

For stocks, I like something like a Magpul stock. Rather have something more inline with the receiver/barrel.

• I have an anderson lower, new that i put together with psa upgraded internals. It has all internals polished including trigger. The only thing i havent done is put the stock on. I do have a pinned stock that can be included. Let me know if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I have an anderson lower built with psa upgraded parts with polished internals and polished trigger. The only thing i havent completed is the stock. I have a pinned stock that i can include. Let me know if interested. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • It's easy when people have no experience with guns so they are scared of them. My mom's always been nervous about guns. Last time she was over, my wife and I shower her our guns and my mom freaked over me having an "assault rifle". I let her hold it and then grabbed some ammo and showed her what .22lr looks like. Let her hold the Beretta and I could see the fear leaving her. It's such a silly thing to fear if you treat it with the respect it deserves.