Zeke

Blow your leaves or mulch them?

I bag it with the mower and dump it at the curb. One of the few perks of living and paying taxes in raritan twp. I do reserve some for the compost bin though. Leaves is a full time job at my place. 9 full size apple trees, 5 maples, 1 oak, 3 poplars, and 2 sycamores.

• Like 1

I blow some and mulch most of it. My big problem is the acorns. They're getting about 2 in deep. You can't rake them because they're only about 1/2 to 3/4 in diameter so they pass right thru a rake.. Its getting dangerous to walk on them. Almost like walking on marbles. Not even my tree!

I have about 2 acres - I blow the back of the backyard into the woods, the front yard gets blown to the trees on opposite corners of each side of the front yard, I mulch them up really good and blow out the dust -

The front of the backyard closer to the house I make a big pile a few times during the season and mulch them up and blow out the dust, then after a final cleanup I do another blowing/mulching job and then put the grass catcher on my mower and bag up during my final cut and cleanup if the grass isn't too long -

I have a 52" Scag 17hp Kawasaki walk behind though, so mulching is pretty easy with Gator blades.  I wouldn't do it if I had a regular Toro mower or something with one of those bags on the back of the mower, way too much property

Been meaning to get a Little Wonder leaf vac/blower, would make my life easier than me out there for 4 hours with just my Redmax blower

In our town, most folks do not have huge tracks of property like some here do in more rural areas.  So most of us just hire a Landscaping service to come to our yards to remove the fallen leaves several times in the Fall and once in the early Spring.  This usually involves a crew of 3-4 Hispanic laborers, most likely non-documented, using back-pack blowers to blow all the leaves and acorns into big piles along the curb in the street and then using rakes to feed them into a big flex-hose vacuum that sucks them up into the back of a covered dump truck, which then carts it all off for disposal.  Also, we have mostly oak trees on our property, but also have one maple tree that stubbornly refuses to drop its leaves until the middle of December, the last of all trees in our neighborhood to do so every year, requiring delaying the final fall yard clean up work until then.

Also, the acorns from the tall oak trees are a major PITA, since when they fall they can cause very noticeable dents in the aluminum hoods, roofs and trunk lids of any cars that are parked in driveways and/or on the street under the oak trees.  Sometimes, the sound of a fully developed acorn hitting a car can almost sound like a .22 being fired in the distance, making me wince at the thought of the resulting dent...

AVB-AMG

My neighbor went out of town for the holiday, so I blew them all into her yard. I blew over a couple of her signs related to a losing presidential candidate, too.

Handyman, you crack me up!

My landscape guy comes by when he's good and ready (no sign of him so far), and my leaves magically disappear!

In our town, most folks do not have huge tracks of property like some here do in more rural areas. So most of us just hire a Landscaping service to come to our yards to remove the fallen leaves several times in the Fall and once in the early Spring. This usually involves a crew of 3-4 Hispanic laborers, most likely non-documented, using back-pack blowers to blow all the leaves and acorns into big piles along the curb in the street and then using rakes to feed them into a big flex-hose vacuum that sucks them up into the back of a covered dump truck, which then carts it all off for disposal. Also, we have mostly oak trees on our property, but also have one maple tree that stubbornly refuses to drop its leaves until the middle of December, the last of all trees in our neighborhood to do so every year, requiring delaying the final fall yard clean up work until then.

Also, the acorns from the tall oak trees are a major PITA, since when they fall they can cause very noticeable dents in the aluminum hoods, roofs and trunk lids of any cars that are parked in driveways and/or on the street under the oak trees. Sometimes, the sound of a fully developed acorn hitting a car can almost sound like a .22 being fired in the distance, making me wince at the thought of the resulting dent...

AVB-AMG

I tend to do most things myself. It's Emerson Thoreau kinda thing.

me too but it's because I can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.

And that too! Lol

On a slight drift.

It used to be landscape contractors were for the wealthy or commercial entities. Nieghbor kids would mow the lazy or elderly or handicapped residents. I am utterly amazed in my blue collar "lot by lot"town how many people pay to have the lawn mowed. 4 rods x 4rods worth of grass!

Are we too busy? Too lazy? Labor has become beneath us? Self reliance in America is a dying art.

I tend to do most things myself. It's Emerson Thoreau kinda thing.

Me too, self relience, my castle, my home. I do pretty much everything myself including building my own house lol. And that paying someone else to do something I can bugs me. Cracks me up seeing all the neighbors with able kids hiring out lawn mowing....spoiled brats. However old age is catching up : (

• Like 1